Format: PaperbackChange

on 26 October 2012
Finale is a-maz-ing! It started off slightly weaker than expectations, but as soon as the first chapter commenced, it just got better and better. There were unexpected twists throughout, and a mix of emotions. The ending, was final, and in most cases, I would say that was a bad thing, but this was an amazing ending, and it was neither premature, nor overdue. It was expertly written and is right now my favourite book.
on 22 November 2012
I have been such a huge fan of this series since the very beginning, with the announcement of each new installment causing much squeeing and excitement from me. Hearing about Finale, I was super excited but also a little sad the series was ending. But what I didn't expect was to finish the book feeling so disappointed.

With the death of the Black Hand - Hank Millar, Nora's biological father - Nora now has to lead the Nephilim army, bound by the oath she made to Hank before his death. If she doesn't lead the army, both her and her mother will die. Yet, she is under orders from the archangels to stop the war. How can she lead an army, and stop a war? The fact that she is only newly Nephil and not as strong as most, and because of her relationship with Patch, a fallen angel, the people who are supposed to be loyal to her do not trust her or think she's up to the job, and are just waiting for her to put one step wrong and put someone else in her place. Her relationship with Patch must remain a secret, and she must start to train with Dante, a Nephil who was Hank's right hand man, to get the Nephilim on side. Nora does not have an easy task ahead of her. Add to the mix a shady archangel who seems to be out for Patch's blood, and Nora's life has given a whole new meaning to the word "difficult".

Finale sounds pretty exciting, and going by the previous books in the series, it should be, but I really wasn't feeling it. There have been various things that niggled me in previous books, but they just drove me round the bend in Finale. We're four books down the line - the very last book - you would have thought Nora would have gained some common sense by now. Unfortunately, her insecurities stop her from thinking logically, and she continues to jump to conclusions and doubt Patch, and she makes rash decisions because of it. Ok, I don't like having heroines who are completely perfect, but it would be good to have seen some growth in Nora's character. Sometimes I wanted to shake her, sometimes I wanted to slap her, and sometimes I hardly understood why Patch was still with her! God, he must have the patience of a saint. I just didn't like her at all in this book. With every page, I was pretty much thinking, "Come on, Nora, buck up!" Sure, she has a lot to deal with, but it was just too much this time round.

For a final book, things need to be tied up, but it's a whole book, so it needs to have it's own plot and it's own conflict. Both of which Finale has. However, there were a few conflicts that just seemed resolved far too easily. I can't really go into the one that bothered me the most, too spoilery, but oh my god! There really needed to be a lot more going on with that issue, seriously. And then we had the ending, the finale. I expected more. If I was to talk about the whole thing (which I won't, spoilers), it would sound pretty epic, but Nora's part? I just wasn't excited, I wasn't scared, I didn't feel much tension. There are a few points in the book that should have really rocked me emotionally, and they just didn't. I just didn't seem to care about any of the characters in this book, and I finished thinking, "That's it?"

To be fair, the epilogue was pretty cool, I did like it. But on the whole? I remember reading Hush, Hush for the first time, and being completely wowed, and thinking how awesome this sexy fallen angel on a motorbike was. That guy seems to have disappeared in this book. Less sexy, more soppy. It was just too much. I don't know, maybe I wasn't in the mood for it at this particular time, maybe I would enjoy it more if I read it another time, but I just finished feeling so underwhelmed. It has to be said, Fitzpatrick is an awesome author, and her writing constantly kept me turning the pages addictively, despite not actually enjoying the story. But yeah, really disappointed. Do check out a few more reviews before deciding whether you read Finale based on mine alone.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 12 February 2013
Warning: This review may contain spoilers for those who have not read the previous three books.

Finale is the last book in the Hush, Hush series by Becca Fitzpatrick. At the end of Silence (#3), Nora killed her evil Nephilim father, Hank, but not before swearing an oath to lead his Nephilim army. An oath that will kill her should she break it. The war between the Fallen Angels and the Nephilim is coming to a head as Cheshvam approaches but Nora also promised the Archangels that she would stop the two from going to war. Complicated to say the least. What's more, she's just become a Nephilim, but Patch, her uber hot boyfriend, is a Fallen Angel and she has to pick a side.

From reading other people's reviews, it appears that I was significantly less impressed with this book than other people. I have always said that this is one of my all time favourite series, but I think that my love for it had fizzled out a bit by the time I got round to reading Finale. Don't get me wrong, this book wasnt bad or anything, it just wasnt as good as I was hoping it would be. I didn't feel that excited whilst I was reading it. Patch and Nora's relationship is just as sexy as it always has been, but after three books of their banter, I think I just needed something a little fresher. The plot of this book was interesting, but nothing too exciting. I'm not sure what I wanted to happen but I expected more from the finale of this series (pun intended).

There aren't really that many characters involved in this book, it's mostly about Nora with Patch, Dante, Scott, Vee and Marcie as secondary characters. This book, like the rest of the series, is written from Nora's point of view. I think one of the reason's I didn't find this book that exciting was because Nora isn't the most exciting character. Now if this series had been written from Patch's point of view, that would be another story (quite literally). Although she's now head of the Nephilim army and she has lots of responsibility she doesn't seem to think very interesting thoughts and it was the dialogue more than the narrative that kept me reading. Nora is a lot more independent in this novel and thinks for herself but for some reason I just didn't like her character all that much and I definitely prefer human Nora. I really liked Patch in this novel. He's most reader's favourite character in this series but I don't think any of them could deny that no matter how sexy he is, he can be incredibly frustrating. He didn't bother me all that much in this novel, probably because this time round Nora was the baddie (sort of).

Although this book disappointed my greatly, I couldn't stop smiling at the ending. The ending is predictable but how you get there is not. Quite a lot happens in the last fifty or so pages of the book and there are a few unexpected twists and turns. These twists were quite shocking but I felt that they were glanced over and rushed so I didn't have much time to process them and actually react. There is an epilogue at the end where there are some details about what's going on three years on, but in my opinion this epilogue was focused on the most irrelevant plot strand ever and I would've much preferred it if there was more about what happened to Nora and Patch.

I keep saying that this book wasn't 'exciting'enough, but it was by no means boring. It was certainly a very interesting book that kept reading at a pretty fast pace it just didn't set off any fireworks in my brain or get my heart pounding. That probably doesn't sound very inspiring but for people that have already started this series, I'd definitely recommend that you keep reading until the end and for people that haven't picked up a book in the Hush, Hush series, you really should. The character Patch is something pretty special and will no doubt capture your heart from the very first time you meet him in book one. I think the books get progressively less impressive as you move through the series, but that's only really because book one was so darn good.
on 28 October 2012
This is the last instalment of the Hush Hush series and one word to summarize it all-FANTASTIC!!!

The story picks up right after the third book. Nora has become a purebreed Nephil and it's only days before Cheshvan starts. Tension is running high between the fallen angels and the nephilim. As the new leader of the nephilim army, Nora has to step in and put an end to this war which has been fought for centuries between the two races before she can join her love Patch.
I downloaded it onto my kindle straight after it was out and I just could not put it down in the last few days. I even installed the kindle app onto my phone so I could keep reading when out and about. Both the epilogue and prologue are nicely done. And in the last few chapters,there was so much surprises and I got really hooked!!!

It's an incredible read and a fantastic end to the series. It's full of twists and turns and packed with lots of action, just like a rollercoaster ride. Becca did a good job in developing the plot and kept me guessing- "who's the real traitor"?
After reading book 3, I knew that was not the last we would see of "devilcraft" and in this book, it takes the central role in the storyline. We are also introduced to the political organization of the nephilim race which is in the form of a council. And reading Nora doing her nephilm special training session with her right-hand man Dante is fun. In previous books we've seen both nephilim and fallen angels using the mind trick skills but during Nora's training session, we get to find out how they actually train themselves for this skill. And the same also applies for possession.

In previous books, we had a fair amount of players from both Nephil and fallen angel side and in this final book, Becca throws in the missing piece of the equation-the archangels, which is a good move for the storyline.

As for the characters, we have two main new comers Pepper and Dante and both are so believable and add a lot to the already complex situation in the story. It's also good to see characters from previous books such as Dabria and even Rixon to add more spice to the story.

The only thing I don't quite like is how Becca handles Scott. In previous books, he was kind of Nora's side-kick when Patch was not available. In this book, however, he is overshadowed by Dante. A similar situation happens to Vee. I feel as if she becomes distant to Nora and is replaced by the annoying Marcie. Becca barely redeem herself towards the end with the surprise from Vee. I kind of understand why Becca has to give this version of "happy ever after" for Vee but what's the point of pairing her up with Scott?

As for Patch and Nora, well their relationship has certainly moved up a level. They are being tested but unlike the second book, they have a bigger trust on each other. And oh, their oath to each other towards the end of the book is so beautiful!!

Overal, Becca has done a good job in concluding this series, though the title of the book is so predictable. This is my first series on fallen angels(I am normally a vampire person) and I can't believe it's over. I am going to have a difficult time saying goodbye to the lovely characters and perhaps find another series as good as this one on fallen angels. I know this is going to sound cheesy but putting this wonderful and captivating story onto the big screen is not a bad idea!!

Thanks again Becca!!
on 18 November 2012
How are you supposed to react when a series you've loved for three years leaves you? No, seriously. Please help me here - I'm having a meltdown.

Patch and Nora - a fallen angel and nephilim. In love at a time when both their races are on the brink of a war. Will their love survive? This is the conclusion to the much loved series Hush, Hush, written by Becca Fitzpatrick. It's the series that might just tempt me to start reading mystery novels.

I do admit though; when I first saw the cover, I thought "Finale? Really...?" However, I got used to it, in fact, I ended up liking the title. Also, the cover fits in with the rest of the series, so I think the writer and publisher did it justice.

Nora Grey is a character it's hard not to fall in love with. You can tell how determined she is with whatever she puts her mind to. The fact that she doesn't sit around and wait for Patch to solve all of her hardcore problems proves quite a lot. Then there's Patch... wink, wink, nudge, nudge. He's the baddest that bad boys can get. He used to go to casinos... that's pretty bad in my eyes.

Finale is a book that I can completely imagine as a crime TV drama. The way it's written never failed to keep me on edge and the plots were just genius. I'd just be casually reading along when - all of a sudden - there's some big turn of events with someone who you'd never think would betray Nora. Well, they just did. True, at times I'd have to read a paragraph or two to get the gist of the story-line, but it was worth it.

The final fight-scene in this book was well constructed... but it may have lasted too long. I don't know if it's just me, but with a fight scene I want it to be short and precise - it's more engaging that way. Yet, like I said: maybe that's just me.

Becca Fitzpatrick is a really good writer. There were certain moments in the book, that needed certain emotions, which could only be achieved by using certain words - she knew the words.

All I have to say, is that this book is an epic conclusion to an epic series. You'll need to read the previous books in the series before starting it, and it'll be worth the reads. As soon as I turned the last page I felt an emotion I had not expected... sadness. It was over. The books I loved so dearly. Sob.

In conclusion, if you see this book in a bookstore - don't you dare walk past it. Pick it up and read the blurb and decide if you're going to buy it or not. I'd buy it if I were you.
on 17 November 2012
"I want to wake up with you every morning and fall asleep beside you each night," Patch told me gravely. "I want to take care of you, cherish you, and love you in a way no other man ever could. I want to spoil you -- every kiss, every touch, every thought, they all belong to you. I'll make you happy. Every day, I'll make you happy." - Patch

Becca Fitzpatrick took the YA Paranormal market by storm way back in 2009 and for the last four years, I've followed Patch and Nora's journey and now, I'm sad to say, it's all over! I can't believe it but even though I'm sad it's over, I'm also in awe of how amazing this series is.

In Finale we finally see everything come together. We have all our unanswered questions answered, we finally see the conclusion of the war between Nephilim and Fallen Angels and of course, the big one - can Patch and Nora really have a life together?

OH GOSH! I was so not prepared for this book. PURE AWESOMENESS! Really, Becca Fitzpatrick has out done herself with Finale. It is a fantastic conclusion to such a fantastic series and I have to say, I'm so looking forward to re-reading this series at some point in the future. It's definitely a keeper and I can't wait to fall in love with these characters all over again.

Nora is one of those characters that grows so much within the series. You've watched her go from normal teen girl to a strong women that's dealt with so many hard and emotional times. I'm so surprised that she hasn't broken down from the pressure but no matter what, Nora remains strong and determined and with Patch's help, she really does feel like she can take on the world. Now Patch, I honestly think I've lost count how many times I've told you how much I love him. HELLO? Who couldn't? He's just....sigh....AMAZING! Patch really puts all other men to shame because Becca writes him in a way that just makes you melt. Every time he speaks - I swoon, every time he does something heroic - I swoon, and every time he gets on that motorbike - I swoon. It's safe to say, I swoon a lot when Patch is around. I was so praying for a happy ever ending for him and Nora but what we get is so much more. Becca really takes its to the beyond and I don't think any fan of this series will be disappointed with their ending.

All in all, Finale was perfect - just absolutely perfect, and all there's left to say is, if you haven't read this series, then READ IT, you won't be disappointed and I'm going to leave you with some of my favourite quotes. Enjoy!

"All I can think about is bed."
"We're sharing the same thought."
"You're thinking about bed too?"
"I'm thinking about YOU in MY bed." - Patch and Nora

"You dress to impress," I said approvingly.
"No, Angel." He leaned in, his teeth softly grazing my ear. "I undress to impress." - Patch and Nora

"I saw you, and I wanted to be close to you. I wanted you to let me in. I wanted to know you in a way no one else did. I wanted you, all of you. That wanting nearly drove me mad." Patch paused, inhaling softly, as though breathing me in. "And now that I have you, the only thing that terrifies me is having to go back to that place. Having to want you all over again, with no hope of my desire ever being fulfilled. You're mine, Angel. Every last piece of you. I won't let anything change that." - Patch
on 11 November 2012
And so... it comes to an end. Sadly I come away from this series wishing I loved it more than I do, however I do not regret reading it and that is all that matters. How could I regret anything that brought me Patch? For it is him alone that I have continued to give each book 4 stars. I love his attitude, the way he talks, his love for Nora... I could go on and on.

It is nearly impossible to write a review of the final book in a series without giving away bits and pieces of the books that have come before. So please, if you have not yet read the Hush, Hush series continue at your own risk.

Let us start at the beginning of Finale. *start rant* I will just come out and say that I was disappointed in the about of rehashing that took place. I mean this is book four in a four book series. We know who the characters are and what they look like at this point, why do authors insist on doing this? I get that there is sometimes up to a year between books so a little rehash is acceptable. But to go into as much detail as giving physical attributes, this is going too far. I do not see why anybody would need this information when we are this far into the series. And if somebody does start with book four then it would be their own fault for starting at the end and loyal readers of the entire series shouldn't be forced to read it... again. *end rant*

I must admit that for the first 25% or so I was wondering if I had somehow entered into the Twilight Zone?! At the end of Silence we find Nora having to step up as the leader of the Black Hand's army, this pitting her against the Fallen Angels. Meaning, against Patch. They swore to each other that they would get though this together but we know there are rough roads ahead. I am expecting non-stop action from the get go... Nope. Next thing I know Nora is back at home, her Mom is giving her yet another curfew, banging on about it being a school night and off Nora goes to party with Vee at a nightclub. What? We are only a week or so away from that time in the year where Fallen Angels take over the bodies of Nephilim. The Nephilim are sure to be in anarchy as their leader has just been murdered. Her Mom has just been broken free from being held captive, in a cage... but it seems as though it has all been forgotten in order to go dancing.

There is plenty of character development, which of course had to happen with it being the last in the series. I think my biggest shock was with Scott. Those that have read it will know what I am referring to and for those that haven't I will not spoil it. I will just say that I did not see this coming at all. Vee wasn't really in Finale all that much to be honest, she came into it more toward the end but I can't say I was disappointed. I never really warmed to her all that much. There were also new characters introduced with Dante playing the biggest part of them all. He was close to Hank (the old Black Hand) and therefore steps up to show Nora the way to being the Nephilim leader. Patch trusts him about as far as he can throw him... well no that isn't right because Patch could probably throw him pretty far. Let's just say he doesn't trust him at all. Marcie is also back in all her glory. I have to say I have hated her from the start but there is a part of me that feels sorry for her... but that feeling doesn't last very long.

Overall I feel this was a fitting end to a series but I can't escape the feeling that it was maybe one book too many. I've read in a few different places that this was meant to be a trilogy however of course when the series started and it did so well the publisher convinced the author to turn it into four books. Fair play to them, four books means more money than three. I do think though it would have been stronger as a trilogy. I can't throw a big stink about it though because it meant more Patch. And I wasn't kidding in my review of Silence when I said I would so love a series of books about Patch pre Nora. Would love to have a series about how he fell in love and fallen so many years ago and what he did before he met Nora. Maybe a trilogy that starts with him meeting 'the girl and then his fall, a second book many years later when he was at his worst and then just before he decides to go after Nora in order to try to become human. I would read those in a heartbeat!

All in all I would recommend this series but I would ask that they be read with this in mind. Yes there are going to be moments where you want to pull your hair out, your eyes will roll and you will want to toss the book aside. But I also promise you that there will be moments where you can't put the book down, you will swoon over Patch and you will find yourself smiling from ear to ear. It will be a mixed bag of emotions but the ending is well worth the roller coaster ride.

"I know I can't feel your touch, but I feel your love, Nora. Inside me. It means everything to me. I wish I could feel you the same way you feel me, but I have your love. Nothing will ever outweigh that. Some people go their entire lives never feeling the emotions you've given me. There is no regret in that."

Rainy Day Reads
on 6 December 2012
I'm a huge fan of the series, I love all 3 previous books, and have 2 copies of each book (I was that obsessed!) but the last one (Finale) left me feeling pretty disappointed, and its not just me, friends who I've lent the book to, are also shocked at how disappointing the book was. I so badly wanted to love it, but it just wasn't working. The romance from the book was drained out, and replaced with mediocre action, which is all fine and dandy but as a reader I want to be gripped into the book, and not wondering what the hell is going on with the plot of the story. its such a shame such a series ended on a low, I would have preferred a better epilogue something more centered around the people who everyone was most interested in - Patch & Nora, instead around Vee?! When I first started reading the book, I just wasn't pulled into it, and to be honest the book doesn't grip or even hook the reader, its just sort of empty if that makes sense. For me it all went downhill from the beginning, and there was no saving it. I waited a year for this book and it gave nothing but disappointment. The characters were nothing like the people a reader grew to love. The book was better off not being written. It was like waiting for Christmas say to receive a present of someone you cherish and all you get is a generic sock, it is that bad. Unfortunately. I badly wish i could have loved this book.
on 18 October 2013
Finale is a great ending to this series. Its not perfect but I really enjoyed it anyway.

I have had a love hate relationship with Nora Grey throughout this series and Finale was no exception. If anything I think Im leaning more towards the 'love' side in this one. She does grow up quite a bit in Finale as she is dumped with a huge responsibility and this did make her more likable and less childish than shes been in previous books but I did still want to reach in and punch her sometimes!

As for the other characters, Patch is still... well.. Patch.. he never changes. Scott and Vee's storylines in this one added something extra that we haven't had before and Marcie Miller makes an interesting sub plot too.

There's a lot... LOT of action and surprises in Finale which I really enjoyed and I really liked how many of the chapters ended on cruel cliffhangers which made me need to turn IMMEDIATELY to the next chapter instead of putting it down for a while (which is what I kept trying to do).

In all, a real page turner, a cracking ending and a satisfying close to the series. I've enjoyed reading these books over the past few years and will definitely be on the look out for what Becca writes next!
on 19 January 2014
Hush Hush blew me away --- brilliant!
Crescendo was a disappointment --- crud.
Silence brought hope --- pretty good

Finale is all about the war of Nephelim against fallen angels the war is to break the fealty that the Nephelim are forced to swear for one month of the year, entitling fallen angels to possess their hosts body and pretty much rape pillage and plunder for a whole month (oh goody.)

After Hank is dealt with Nora becomes the leader by oath and if she refuses....she dies, simple.
So with the help of Dante and Scott she learns the ropes and eventually agrees that the war is justifiable. However there is a Judas in the ranks and Nora finds out a little to late and is then forced into a life and death combat to gain her rightful place as the leader of Nephelim.

Overall Finale was good to read, it was quick paced and to the point, there is more character development in this book and a couple of them actually grew on me, whilst others really pissed me off. There were a few twists and surprises in this book, unfortunately I did guess early on to them all, except the one about Basso, though I did feel he had something to do with the story and I was wondering what kept him popping up, his little -very minor- role in the story was a really nice job to give him. I do however wonder what happened to his dog when he left, I thought Nora would have claimed it but it got dropped.
Likewise with Nora's love rival Dabria she sort of up and vanished too, with no mention of the possibility her feather had been burned.
Scott had been oe of my favorites from the start, he was the most real character in the story, in particular in the guy way of doing thing and what he says, and out of all the characters that were killed including Patch, his was the only one that I felt anything other than 'oh well' about.

Again I would like to include my exceptional hatred for Nora's mother, her over protectiveness of her daughter (whom for the majority she refuses to listen to and give off the impression she hates) is just ridiculous, at sixteen/seventeen she should get off her high horse and accept her daughter will eventually be sexually active.

I have learnt that Fitzpatrick has no set writing, authors of a series you learn that they are either good, bad or okay at what they do, with each of these four book I have had a different opinion for each.

I have borrowed each book from the library, and I'm still wondering whether or not to buy them because they are the sort of books you don't know if you want to pick up again or not.

Lastly; A fairly boring closure to a pretty good series, but boring is just what the characters need!