4.0 out of 5 stars Great book with a good mix of mythical creatures
Published on 28 April 2012 by Laura Hartley

1.0 out of 5 stars Another Young Adults book
I didn't get past the first 2 chapters. This is clearly a book meant for teenagers, or young adults as they are called these days.

Another story, about yet another young teenage girl (think this one is only 16), going off on her own, searching for the truth, seeing things that other don't or can't or won't. Blah blah blah.

Read if you are under 21,...
Published 20 months ago by Lyn

1.0 out of 5 stars Another Young Adults book, 1 Jan 2013
Lyn (London, Great Britain) - See all my reviews

Read if you are under 21, otherwise don't bother.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book with a good mix of mythical creatures, 28 April 2012
Laura Hartley (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Darkness Becomes Her (Gods & Monsters) (Paperback)
I have literally devoured this book in the past two hours. I was recently sent this book to read and review and I decided that I would not read it until after the impending doom of this week's IGCSE exams; however, I got bored of revising and so I began to read 'Darkness Becomes Her'. This was a big mistake. Not because the book isn't good, because it is, but because after: 'just the first chapter', I literally could not put it down.

It is a very fast paced novel so I was turning page after page like nobody's business and the thrilling plot kept me going the entire way through. I did not know what to expect from this book, clearly it had something to do with the paranormal but other than that I was clueless. I was actually quite suprised by what I found. I thought that this book was just another author trying to feed off the success of the twilight phenomenon, but boy was I wrong. Of course, there are vampires in this book, but they're more like extras rather than something which actually contributes to the story. There is literally every kind of supernatural being in this book. It ranges from vampires to witches to shapeshifters, and what really suprised me: Greek Gods. The way that Keaton incorporates bits of Greek mythology into this novel is a bit odd at first, but when you get used to it is a superb addition to the plot. If you're a fan of the supernatural then this is definitely a book for you.

What is also interesting about this book, is that it is set in the future, in New Orleans after a series of great hurricanes that destroyed the city. The rest of the plot stems from there and it is truly intriguing as a paranormal story is placed in such a familiar setting that all the readers should know of.

There are quite a lot of unexpected twists and turns in this book, if you really analyse the plot you could probably guess how certain characters fit into the mix, but I'd say that this would be a book full of suspense for the average reader.

I don't want to give away any of the plot, but this is truly a great read and I highly recommend the first in what is sure to be a great new series! Follow Ari, a confused and curious teenage girl, and her new band of paranormal misfits as they try to uncover the secrets of her past and how to progress into the future.

More reviews on [...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Darkness Becomes Her, 27 Aug 2011
This review is from: Darkness Becomes Her (Gods & Monsters) (Paperback)
I hadn't actually heard much about this book prior to reading it, so I was totally unspoiled as far as the plot went. What attracted me to the book originally was the gorgeous cover. I love the purple and black colouring and the tag line 'Beneath every beauty. Evil stirs'. The girl on the cover is also extremely hypnotic with her green eyes and mass of silvery hair.

The story gets off to an intriguing start with Ari finding out about the circumstances surrounding her mother's death. Soon after she ventures into what used to be New Orleans before it was devastated by hurricanes which destroyed the city. It's now called New 2 and is under the control of the Novem, a group of nine families. In New 2, Ari hopes to discover more about her heritage and the curse which seems to have blighted female members of her family. She ends up uncovering a whole lot more than she bargained for.

'Darkness Becomes Her' contains elements of Greek mythology which is something that I absolutely love. I've always enjoyed reading about myths and legends and the Greek Gods and this turns out to be an important aspect of the story which I'm looking forward to being developed further in future installments.

Ari meets lots of interesting characters throughout the book, including love interest Sebastian. I've always loved boys called Sebastian and the one in the story is no exception. Dark and mysterious and knock-down gorgeous, I loved the developing romance between him and Ari. He certainly made me feel weak at the knees too!

I loved the way that Kelly Keaton provided a real mixture of romance, paranormal, horror and mythology and only wish that the book had been longer. There's plenty to grab readers' attention and as the story doesn't conform to the usual paranormal template, there's lots of surprises in store too.

The second book in the Gods and Monsters series is called 'A Beautiful Evil' and will be published in 2012.

4.0 out of 5 stars could not put it down, 20 Jun 2011
I had been waiting for the Kindle price to drop when I saw the paperback cheap in my local supermarket. In can see no reason for the kindle version to be more expensive. This book caught my attention from page 1 and I finished reading it in a day. Its a mix of future New Orleons, voodo, ancient gods, witchcraft, vampires and creatures. I cannot wait to read the next book with Ari Selkirk. I would have given it 5/5 if it had been 50 pages longer, I felt like some sentences needed to be made into paragraphs and some paragraphs into chapters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping read., 27 Feb 2011
This review is from: Darkness Becomes Her (Hardcover)
This book never really stuck out and made me really want to read it, it doesn't have my sort of cover and the blurb doesn't grab my attention a lot but this book is amazing. I feel rather lucky this year because the amount of amazing books l have read already! I have no idea how l will choose my top ten of 2011. Be a lot harder than the top 10 for 2010!
Anyway on to my thoughts.
This book pretty much has something going on from the beginning, the main story line is introduced within the first 30 or so pages. This is good but l did feel one thing happened a bit too fast and l was like "would it really happen that quick?"
In fact there were a few scenes where l was thinking "what who's that character again? Are they related to them or them? Are they good? Evil?" l just got a bit confused which ruined some scenes for me which could have been good and more gripping. Most of the time my confusion was answered by Kelly as she did well to go over things but there are a lot of characters. When a story has a lot of characters you can sometimes struggle to get to know them enough but Kelly focused on a few main characters so you could grow a bond with them.
Ari is a character that has had a few problems in life and wants to try and put to rest some of them. Sometimes she annoys me a bit with what l felt was overreacting in some cases, being a really angry sort of person and being a wimp in some ways but then really strong with other things. Saying that, although Ari sometimes did annoy me Kelly did an amazing job of putting forward Ari's feelings to the readers and her thoughts. It really made her feel real which then mean't l felt a connection with Ari.
One of the only `negative' thing l thought about Darkness Becomes Her while reading this was random sentences. E.g. - `l could look at him forever. But there was something he would never ever know'. I can see how this makes sense but l think it just needs to be explained a little bit more, like what she's feeling when looking at him.
~

WARNING, This could be seen as a spoiler (Below)
At the beginning she is nearly killed but further on she is apparently wanted alive, this confused me a bit, maybe it is just me being blonde though and not following the story probably, or they weren't going to kill her?

~
Overall (No Spoiler)
You would be missing out if you didn't read this! It's a really fast paced book which l LOVED!
The only reason it isn't 5/5 is because l didn't get the same 'feeling' which l get with some books that are 5/5. It may sound strange but with books that are 5/5 l get this amazing feeling when l finish it, not saying l didn't have great fun reading this! Oh and how did l forget, the mix of all the different paranormal 'creatures' in this is great!
Very much recommend this! I'm sure (and hope) we will have lots of great books by Kelly to come and l will be sure to read them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review from The Word Fiend, 4 Nov 2011
Shelagh (South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Darkness Becomes Her (Gods & Monsters) (Paperback)
If you enjoy Paranormal YA then Darkness Becomes Her is right up your alley. In fact, it's vying for a prime location in that alley.

The cover design for Darkness Becomes Her is moody and full of contained energy. The model's vibrant green eyes stare directly out of the cover - almost as though she's daring you to open the book and read her story. The purple shadows on her face and in her writhing hair are an effective compliment to her eyes and add to the overall appeal of the design. The snake designs embossed on the cover are a good link to the story and add an extra layer to the overall picture.

I really enjoyed Darkness Becomes Her. Kelly Keaton does a great job of immersing you in the story with description and atmosphere. I love the feeling of being pulled into a book's world - it lets the story come alive for me. Most of the book takes place in New Orleans, or New 2 as it's called in Darkness Becomes Her. The setting is sometime in the future where New Orleans, following a disaster reminiscent of recent years, has been abandoned by the US government and is now owned and run by a group called the Novem. The Novem is an alliance of nine of the oldest families in New Orleans. I've always been interested in New Orleans and the blend of cultures it seems to have. Keaton's view of the city caught between its old splendour and ruin is full of possibility and atmosphere.

The one thing I would have liked to change about Darkness Becomes Her is the length. It's a relatively short book and I felt that some sections were rushed when they needn't have been. It meant that a lot was covered in the book, but some subplots and story threads weren't fully developed or taken to their conclusion. Keaton should have given herself a bit more space to tell her story.

Ari is a very likeable character. Handed around the foster care system she's always wanted answers about her mother. It's her search for these answers that gets the whole plot rolling and I liked the fact that Ari adapts to the situations she finds herself in. She's always felt different because of her silver hair and teal eyes, but in New 2 she finds people she can relate to. My two favourites of Ari's new friends are Sebastian and Violet. Sebastian is a vampire-warlock with some serious good looks and talent with the drums. I may have a slight crush. Violet is a fascinating child with pointed teeth, a pet alligator and a love of Mardi Gras masks.

Darkness Becomes Her is the start of a series I will be following with interest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It !!, 16 Aug 2011
This review is from: Darkness Becomes Her (Gods & Monsters) (Paperback)
A great book that is set in the future yet is based on a story from the past. I enjoyed the book from cover to cover and hope there will be more books yet to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great take on an old favourite, 8 July 2011
This review is from: Darkness Becomes Her (Gods & Monsters) (Paperback)
So I saw this cover and thought "Oooh purple!", picked it up and then thought "Umm, what's up with her face?" Yes, she's is doing that annoying trout-mouth pose which I hate and think anyone that does it looks stupid. Besides that small flaw, I decided to buy the book 'cos it sounded pretty good.

It was great! I loved Ari, and her quest to find out about herself was a great storyline. I've read so many vampire/werewolf/angel/demon/god books lately and I can honestly say this particular theme was a supernatural first for me ....... and I love it!

I'd say this was an older YA, Ari is 17 and there are some mentions of rape in it, so not for the younger crowd. A must read for any YA supernatural readers out there though.

On another note, I would've definitely preferred the US cover. Not often that I say I prefer US over UK covers but this one was no contest.

4.0 out of 5 stars Darkness Becomes Her, 2 July 2011
This review is from: Darkness Becomes Her (Gods & Monsters) (Paperback)
There is something about this one that really appealed to me. I loved the mixture of paranormal, romance, mystery and a pinch of horror.

The story follows Ari. With her teal eyes and silver hair, Ari had spent her life unable to blend into the background. Having spent many years going from one foster home to another she has finally found a 'home' with her current foster parents. But she still feels the need to find out about her past - who she is and where she came from - and this leads her to a place called New 2, the rebuilt city of New Orleans. But will Ari find the answers she seeks? And if she does - will she be able to face the truth?

I loved Ari - she's really strong and sassy - I really enjoyed her narrative. She could also completely hold her own and wasn't looking for anyone to save her. She wanted to save herself and I really liked that about her.

I also loved Sebastian straight away, and Violet too. There is something really intriguing about her character. I liked the way the characters interacted. Ari and Violet have a lovely bond - it seems to happen almost as soon as they laid eyes on each other but I really liked that. Things also happen very quickly between Ari and Sebastian - since I really liked Sebastian from the start I can completely understand his appeal - but it still felt a bit too fast, especially since the book only seemed to span a few days in total. On the other hand, I find this tends to happen quite often in paranormal romance books and I think the intense situations the characters find themselves in kind of justifies it to a certain degree.

I thought the mythology behind the series was brilliant - something fresh and different - I really liked the fact it's not just paranormal but a bit of horror mixed in too. I found myself really creeped out in places so that was ace! I also loved all the twist and turns - many of which I didn't see coming. I can't wait to find out what Kelly Keaton has planned for us in the next installment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gods & Monsters book 1, 19 Jun 2011
Sarah (Feeling Fictional) (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Darkness Becomes Her (Gods & Monsters) (Paperback)
Ari was brought up moving from one foster family to another and although she has now found a loving home she has never really felt like she fitted in anywhere. She also has questions about her birth parents and it is when she goes looking for answers that she finds herself in a whole new world. After finding a letter from her mother telling her that her family is cursed and she must run Ari decides she must head to New 2 to find answers. New 2 used to be New Orleans, until 2 hurricanes destroyed the city several years ago. Unable to fund the cost of re-building the city the government sold the city to an alliance called the Novem and the city has become a haven for outsiders and anyone who is different. Although the Novem have started re-building a lot of New 2 is still very run down and poverty stricken but Ari finds a group of misfit children and feels like she has found a place where she can fit in at last.

I wasn't really too sure what to expect of Darkness Becomes Her but it is an impressive YA debut and I'm looking forward to seeing where Kelly Keaton takes the series next. If you're looking for a YA urban fantasy that is a little different then this would be a good place to start, the author has mixed in an interesting amount of Greek mythology and the story stands out from the huge number of YA vampire stories in the market at the moment.

Ari is different from a lot of other YA heroines in the fact that she can stand up for herself and she doesn't take people at face value. Her past has taught her to be wary and it takes her time before she will trust people. Although she is vulnerable she is capable of standing up for herself and can kick butt when she needs to. I did think that the romance took off a little too quickly when she met Sebastian but I liked them as a couple so I was easily able to forgive that. We are introduced to some great secondary characters who I'm looking forward to learning more about as the series progresses. Along with Sebastian you have the rest of the misfits Crank, Henri, Dub & Violet and although I liked them all it was Violet who really stood out for me. She is a weird and quite creepy character but at the same time she was also incredibly sweet and makes you want to look out for her.

The story line is fast paced and full of twists and turns, I'll admit that I had made a good guess at what Ari was before the big reveal but this didn't reduce my enjoyment of the story and I couldn't wait to find out if I was right or not. There were a few things that I would have liked to have seen expanded but I'd rather have a pacy shorter story than one that is long winded and meanders to the finish line at a snail's pace. Darkness Becomes Her was a great start to a new series and is an easy book to devour in one session. I can't wait to get my hands on the next book in the series and would recommend this to any fans of YA paranormal stories.

Darkness Becomes Her (Gods & Monsters)
Darkness Becomes Her (Gods & Monsters) by Kelly Keaton (Paperback - 9 Jun 2011)
5.24