5.0 out of 5 stars The Thirteen Secrets
Published on 28 Jan 2011 by Jenny, Wondrous Reads

3.0 out of 5 stars good wanted more
enjoyed the story line but would have liked a bit more romance. was a story for the very younger reader 11yrs. but was a good story line.
Published on 13 Dec 2011 by mj

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Thirteen Secrets, 28 Jan 2011
Jenny, Wondrous Reads (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Thirteen Secrets (13 Treasures) (Paperback)
Guys, I'm finding it hard to put into words how much I love this series. Up until December 2009, I hadn't read any of it, and now look at me: I'm a complete Michelle Harrison fangirl. The 13 series is the perfect mix of fairies, mystery and friendship and, although my usual last-book-in-a-series anxiety reared its ugly head, I needn't have worried. Harrison absolutely delivers with this final instalment, and she goes above and beyond what I was expecting. Honestly, this woman can do no wrong.

Over my year-long wait for The Thirteen Secrets (I know, right? Publishers are mean!), I'd had a lot of time to ponder the plot and where things could go from the end of The Thirteen Curses. I had no idea what would happen, and to say I was surprised is an understatement. I was sat in bed, book in hand, audibly saying things like "Yes!", "Really?!" and "No way!". That's how much I wasn't expecting what went down at Elvesden Manor, and wow did it get me excited. If you read it, you'll know what I mean!

It was great to see familiar faces reappear in The Thirteen Secrets, not to mention a whole host of new people that I fell in love with. Harrison was never afraid to put her characters in realistic situations, not all of them good or necessarily what I wanted, but realistic all the same. I fist-punched the air when Brunswick the goblin appeared in the woods, and when the tea caddy brownie used his walking stick for something other then walking. Oh, and when Gredin, Raven and the Mizhog arrived on the scene? Yep, I was in faery heaven. These are all characters I've grown to love over this series, and I'm really glad they weren't left out of this somewhat epic battle between good and evil. They're as much a part of the story as Tanya and Rowan, and Harrison does them all justice.

The Thirteen Secrets is the darkest book yet, and has matured just like I expect its target audience has. There's violence and scary situations; gone are the light moments of The Thirteen Treasures, and instead we have a family that is truly in danger. It's not a matter of ending up in the faery courts now, it's all about life and death. That's not a direction I ever thought this series would take, but it works. After all, the fey world isn't always one of sunshine and rainbows, and Harrison depicts this through the way she spins her final story.

Once again I've been deliberately sparse when it comes to information about the plot, because I want you to be surprised like I was. There's nothing better than going into a book anticipating one thing and getting another, and it makes the reading experience all the better for it. I will say that this series is up there with my favourites - The Twilight Saga, Harry Potter and The Chronicles of Narnia - and I think a reread is imminent. If you're looking for brilliantly written, imaginitive British fiction, then you need look no further. I guarantee you will find something to love with this series, whether it be the setting, the endearing human characters or the fascinating fey creatures. Cheers to you, Michelle Harrison, and thank you for such a wonderful end to a wonderful series!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fabulous Finale, 8 Feb 2011
Lovely Treez (Belfast, N Ireland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
The Thirteen Secrets is the final instalment in Michelle Harrison's wonderful trilogy involving the relationship between faeries and humans. I adored her first two books, The Thirteen Treasures and The Thirteen Curses and I anticipated the latest novel with a mixture of sorrow, excitement and dread - sad because it was the signalling the end of my interaction with well-loved characters, excited to see how these characters would develop and the tiniest hint of dread that I might be disappointed. Fear ye not as the author does a fabulous job of bringing events at Elvesden Manor to a close whilst introducing us to some intriguing new characters.

I don't want to give away too much of the plot but suffice to say that you are in for a real treat. Rowan (Red) is living at Elvesden Manor and she is doing her utmost to lead a "normal" life with Tanya, Fabian and co. Of course "normality" is off the menu when you live in a fairy-infested house, fairies in the grandfather clock, a tea caddy brownie in the kitchen complete with walking stick and a drain dweller in the bathrooom whose belches smell like rotten eggs. However, Rowan is haunted by nightmares from the past and it would appear that everyone, human and fairy alike, is harbouring some sort of secret, some of which have dreadful consequences.

This is an even darker tale than the preceding novels, perhaps due to the increasing maturity of the characters who have already experienced the dark and light side of faeries. We have already seen the malevolence of the Unseelie Court, the random removal of human children replaced by changelings, the vindictive nature of Tanya's faerie guardian but things take an even more sinister turn in this volume with the battle between good and evil becoming a fight between life and death. Some scenes are reminiscent of the Chronicles of Narnia, especially the battle between Aslan's followers and those of the White Witch - stirring stuff which doesn't pander to those of an overly sensitive nature so expect tears amidst the smiles and rejoicing!

So, the feeling of dread has vanished but there is still some residual sadness that the 13 series is over. At least I will have the pleasure some day of reading the trilogy aloud to my daughter (who, at 7, is still at the Tinkerbell stage..) I highly recommend this whole series to children of all ages (9-99) who believe in some sort of magic and who don't automatically attribute those odd noises in the bathroom to faulty plumbing!

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for the library!, 24 Sep 2011
This review is from: The Thirteen Secrets (13 Treasures) (Paperback)
Got these books for my daughter who absoloutely loves them! She has never been so absorbed in a book and she even tells me she wants her own Mizhog ( not really sure what that is, she even had to correct my spelling! ) a big thank-you to Michelle Harrison for putting such a smile on her face and even given her inspiration for a stroy she's writing for English. She says it's a brilliant end to a fantastic series, it even made her cry at the end of this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Such a same its the last one, 21 Mar 2011
This review is from: The Thirteen Secrets (13 Treasures) (Paperback)
I am well aware that I am much older than the target audience for this type of book! But I don't care, I
lead a pretty dull adult life and sometimes its nice to be able to escape into a magical story filled with
magical characters. I have decided (though I realise it is not possible) that I want my very own Brunswick
living in my garden!

The 13 series kind of reminds me of the magic faraway tree stories by Enid Blyton that I read over and over
again when I was kid, books I still own and read from time to time. (R J Andersons series is similar and
I love them just as much) I love all the characters so much, especially Tanya as she's the heroine and I
can sympathise so much with things she's experienced (not the being able to see faeries part I'd like to add)
but divorce and split families and secrets. I loved witnessing her grow and accept her abilities and responsibilities
throughout the 3 books, she really is a wonderful character and it is such a shame that this is the last we shall
hear about her.

I really don't like to say too much about plot in a review, otherwise whats the point in someone reading the book?
But I will say that the final battle that Tanya, her friends both human and fey and her family face is immense.
It far exceeded my expectations for this book. It really has matured as a series and I felt that the final
instalment really did it justice. I was not at all disappointed, and as sad as I am that the series is finished
I am sure I will read the books time and again and I eagerly await Michelle Harrisons next work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 29 Sep 2013
Michelle Harrison came to my university years ago and gave a talk about her book and her creative writing. I brought the first book that day and had it signed,I loved the first book and couldn't wait for the others. It wasn't until years later when I met with a friend from university who I had lent my book to that I remembered it. So I looked up the stories and have really enjoyed the whole series. This story works for children as well as for adults as it has a dark side.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 21 Oct 2012
Jack M (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Thirteen Secrets (13 Treasures) (Paperback)
This is not the new and original trilogy that we might have hoped for going from the hype surrounding it; it is instead a nicely done re-packaging of ideas you will find in many earlier books. That is not to say it is not a pleasant read, it is and I thoroughly enjoyed all three books. The author writes in an easy style and has developed the story well, populating it with characters with which one can engage. So a worthy 4 stars but nothing particularly original.

5.0 out of 5 stars cool, 8 April 2014
This review is from: The Thirteen Secrets (13 Treasures) (Paperback)
fab so amazing a action packed fun fairy adventure a really good bad guy and a truly good book enjoyed so much

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the sequel to ‘THE THIRTEEN TREASURES,’ of which I thoroughly enjoyed., 13 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Thirteen Secrets (13 Treasures) (Paperback)
For all those fantasy lovers I recommend this book. Not only does it give a whole new meaning to the word ‘Fairy’, but its very well written and a great story line. ‘THE MYSTICAL MIRROR’ by Peter Killick is another great read. I recommend them both.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant trilogy, 2 Mar 2014
I JUST LOVED THESE BOOKS COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN READ ALL THREE AND HAVE THE FOURTH IN PRE ORDER HAVEN'T READ SUCH GOOD BOOKS IN A LONG TIME A MUST !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars 13 ...... is cool, 2 Feb 2014
This book is good . It is amazing . The whole series is amazing but i think this one was the best.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xaf5d00a8)

The Thirteen Secrets (13 Treasures)
The Thirteen Secrets (13 Treasures) by Michelle Harrison (Paperback - 3 Feb 2011)
5.29