5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating counselling stories
Customer Video Review     Length:: 3:09 Mins
Here is my video of Phil Lapworth's very enjoyable book: Tales from the Therapy Room: shrink-wrapped. Hope you enjoy as much as I did.
Published on 22 Mar 2011 by Michael Carroll

I was disenchanted with this - was hoping for more that I got. As a counsellor myself I love reading books like these - it gives me an insight into how other therapists work. I found this quite boring and got fed up with this early on and wouldn't really reommend it.
Published 13 months ago by elaine

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating counselling stories, 22 Mar 2011
Length:: 3:09 Mins

5.0 out of 5 stars Ten tales and their 'untelling', 12 April 2011
This review is from: Tales from the Therapy Room: Shrink-Wrapped (Paperback)
These ten tales contrast the apparently assured tone and authoritative (occasionally even dogmatic) voice of the fictional therapist in sessions with clients whilst showing also with humour and insight the sometimes frantic paddling going on below the surface of the session as the therapist works with and reflects on his clients, their life problems, and his experience and perceptions of them.

The concluding section helps 'unwrap' many of the issues raised through wide-ranging and searching questions, inviting the reader to reflect on their own observations and, as perhaps potential counsellors and therapists themselves, to imagine why and how they might have done things differently.

In addition to being excellent source material for discussion by groups of training counselling students, addressing key issues such as appropriate boundaries, self-disclosure and differing theoretical persectives, these stories stand undeniably on their own and for any reader as surprising and delightful duets of the psychotherapeutic relationship, often concluding with a wry and humorous twist, always entertaining and warm-hearted. We look forward to reading more such tales.

5.0 out of 5 stars shrink wrapped - delight and stimulation, 9 May 2011
This review is from: Tales from the Therapy Room: Shrink-Wrapped (Paperback)
Shrink wrapped by phil lapworth contains short stories followed by discussion of each of them.
It is a delightful, thoughtful and often funny peek into an imaginary therapy room with imaginary therapist and clients.
This book will appeal both to beginners and advanced psychotherapists. The discussions of each story at the end of the book will be essential reading for students at all levels and provide useful reminders to graduates, even those with years of experience.
Thank you Phil for a very delightful addition to our libraries.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'Edutainment', 3 Aug 2011
This review is from: Tales from the Therapy Room: Shrink-Wrapped (Paperback)
This book is 'edutainment' at its best! Delightful, moving stories, recounted with pith and wit, take the reader right into the heart of the therapeutic encounter - unveiling the experiences of therapist and client as they work together. The final chapter reveals the author to be a sophisticated and experienced practitioner who shares his clinical thinking, his choice points and his reflections and invites the reader to do the same.

4.0 out of 5 stars Psychotherapeutic encounters made alive and real, 16 Feb 2011
This review is from: Tales from the Therapy Room: Shrink-Wrapped (Paperback)
This book offers as fictional tales, some of the experiences of a psychotherapist who works from home and is a dedicated and long-standing practioner. As with previous reviewers, I found this book un-put-down-able and re-read several of the stories. As a reader of fiction, I loved the combination of poignancy and humour. As a therapist myself, I recognised some of the dilemmas and the moments of curiosity. I found one story - In at the Deep End - haunting and disturbing, and was left longing to know the "truth" and realising that we probably never know what really is happening to our clients. The teller of the tales in the book became a very real character - separate from what I know about the author. The ways in which we all weave our lives around our projections became particularly evident from each story, including the last story where the therapist becomes the main character.
The last chapter, giving an opportunity to practioners to explore how they would have handled the situations laid out in the stories was interesting. I think it will be particularly useful to counsellors and psychotherapists in training, and starting out on the journey of private practice. For myself, I found I wanted to stay with the mystery and the fiction itself, without questions, which felt rather lazy but remained appreciative!

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertainment and insight in one book., 11 Feb 2011
This review is from: Tales from the Therapy Room: Shrink-Wrapped (Paperback)
In my training and development as a psychotherapist I always apreciated the clarity of thought and presentation of information in the books Phil Lapworth co-authored.

I was curious as to what a series of short stories might offer, with Irving Yalom's books and The Kings Speach in mind. To my pleasent surprise Phil Lapworth seems to have invented a new genre of his own. Each story is a little jewel, and I had to keep reminding myself that they were fictional. Some felt like the presentation of clients in a professional peer group, some reminded me of clients of my own, some reminded me of the attitudes and styles of therapists I knew. So I laughed, and was moved by the client's and the therapists stories, and intrigued and surprised by turn.

And under the surface there were, sometimes teasing, questions like: - how sure are you that you understand this client? What will they do outside this hour? What interactions outside the therapy room impact on this person? How will the client use their new insight? So is self disclosure approriate? What does that therapist think he is doing? How would I handle that situation?

I discovered the most useful part at the end - an analysis of the issues involved in each story and a series of supervision-style questions - often on available alternatives and the influence of the therapists values and theoritical stance.

I shall be reading the story of the counselling student, doing the obligatory hours as client, to my students at my next workshop. I wonder what they will make of the questions?

5.0 out of 5 stars A good thriller, 21 Feb 2011
This review is from: Tales from the Therapy Room: Shrink-Wrapped (Paperback)
As a group these tales have something of a detective story about them...unnerving and compelling at the same time like a good thriller, with a wonderful twist in the end.
An excellent eagle eye to the unfolding of each story and the therapist role and survival. The unusual honesty of, not ambivalence, but downright primitive feelings aroused in the therapist.
At the same time the turn of his thinking, pausing and responding in different directions from where he started. Really interesting and delightfully real and not therapist speak!
Each story is beautifully constructed and lightly executed.
The order of the stories are also well organized in sequence as it seems overall they create a sensation of going deeper and deeper
Each tale has a simple straightforward style that keeps surprising and raising ones curiosity. That is the art of a good story teller!
Very clever, very clever indeed!

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem., 20 Feb 2011
This review is from: Tales from the Therapy Room: Shrink-Wrapped (Paperback)
What a little gem this book is. Each short story distinct, crisp and unpredictable. The characters are described so vividly that I came to believe that even the author was surprised by what came next. Authentic shock. And then, in the final chapter, the challenge of unpeeling the fiction into a question of what part I myself might have taken, and what would have informed me if I had been part of that drama. Rich, informative, and illuminating. I strongly suspect that when I read it again, another whole layer could reveal itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting and enjoyable, 18 Sep 2013
This review is from: Tales from the Therapy Room: Shrink-Wrapped (Paperback)
Really enjoy this book. I am a trainee psychotherapist but would recommend it to all readers. This book made me laugh out loud at times. It's like a behind the scenes. Loved it.

3.0 out of 5 stars I was disenchanted with this - was hoping for more that I got., 3 Jun 2013

Tales from the Therapy Room: Shrink-Wrapped
Tales from the Therapy Room: Shrink-Wrapped by Phil Lapworth (Paperback - 13 Jan 2011)
15.76