5.0 out of 5 stars These Boots Were Made For Talking
Published 17 months ago by Ant Preston

3.0 out of 5 stars Not your best work, Geoff
Not your best work, Geoff... Starts off OK, but then they leave the bikes behind (shipping problems?) so it becomes a motorcycle adventure book, without motorcycles. Or much adventure, either. More a sort of "expense account adventure in posh hotels and restaurants, God Bless the Sponsor." I've yet to read the book on Clancy which started it, as the Amazon Kindle...
Published 8 months ago by Ade

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars These Boots Were Made For Talking, 11 Dec. 2013
This review is from: In Clancy's Boots (Paperback)
Hill's latest combines all the ingredients of the best of good reads: something to snuggle up with before a log fire in the festive season, to be transported away from the mundane by following in the footsteps or, in truth, tyre tracks of two gifted adventurers. Clancy, an inspired American, demonstrates true British grit in facing adversity undaunted. One hundred years later Hill, in his inimitable style, pays tribute to Clancy by re-enacting the American's courageous ride on a Henderson motorcycle. Both are blessed with the power of observation and an ability to describe, which, in Hill's reliable hands, carries the reader along through vivid, technicolor scenery. We ride as pillion, share the saddle.
By observing Clancy, reflecting on the man's superhuman resolve, Hill finds the opportunity to add to his own well known wit, evocative observation and outright humour, heartfelt reflection reminiscent of Robert Pirsig. It is not surprising that Zen accompanies him. Hill faced other adversities, less physical than Clancy's, along the way. Unlike earlier travel books this starts in more pensive mood. Much of the pleasure in the reading is found as the journey progresses and his rapture in Sri Lanka and Japan overcome him and infect us deeply. This is a book that will be read and kept on a prominent shelf for frequent revisits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Take us with you on the next trip!, 19 Jan. 2014
J. P. WRIGHT "Peter" (France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Clancy's Boots (Paperback)
I have read every one of Geoff Hill's books and enjoyed them all. He has a tremendous ability to take one as a 'virtual pillion' and I have felt every mile of his trips - warm, cold, wet, dry...

I bought this latest book just before Christmas and I added it to my reading pile. Didn't start reading it until New Year, then couldn't put it down! Like Geoff, I ride an Enduro bike and I've toured a great deal from my home in the middle of France, but also at the back of my garage is a Honda C90 step-through (36,000,000 of us can't be wrong!). It produces 7.5 BHp, about the same as Clancy's Henderson, but I guess at half the weight. Geoff Hill's story about Clancy makes me realise that I could ride the wee Honda round the world too!

The great thing about reading Geoff's story and having the resources myself to emulate him is how liberating the whole notion becomes. I too could ride round the world. Maybe not next week, maybe not next year, maybe never, but at least I could...

Thank you Geoff for a wonderful story, brilliantly written, and for taking us all with you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical!, 9 Jan. 2014
This review is from: In Clancy's Boots (Paperback)
The best book yet from my favourite travel writer. Wise, sympathetic and irreverent, it is little wonder that funny things happen when he's around. He could talk a dog down from a butcher's cart, and is that rarest of things - a humanist with humour.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Geoff's usual quality writing., 20 Dec. 2013
Good read you, feel your in Clancy 's boots following his tyre tracks & it puts the the name of Henderson motorcycles up there with the best of them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost as good as Gobblers Knob!!, 8 Oct. 2014
I'm only an occasional reader , introduced to Geoff Jill's adventure books by my brother in law. I read this book whilst on "sailing days" during a Mediterranean cruise this summer. Unfortunately it had the effect of me regularly "giggling loudly" and in turn disturbing the hushed tranquillity of the ship's library patrons (and much to the embarrassment of my long suffering wife). A great read for most men (who have a good sense of humour).

4.0 out of 5 stars My shortest review ever, 12 Dec. 2013
This review is from: In Clancy's Boots (Paperback)
It's a fabulous tale told delightfully well. 100 years of overlanding and most people have no idea. Everyone can know now. Buy it, you'll not regret it!

4.0 out of 5 stars ... Geoff Hills Motorcycle adventures books so far and have enjoyed them immensely, 8 Feb. 2015
M. Wood - See all my reviews
I have read all but one of Geoff Hills Motorcycle adventures books so far and have enjoyed them immensely. This one is up there with the rest his attention to detail, his humour and his honesty are a mark of the man.
Highly recommended and can't wait for the next one.
P.S. I've not been able to get his Australian adventure on my Kindle yet!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Geoff Hill at his usual best!, 21 Jan. 2014
Raimo K (Uusikaupunki, Finland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Clancy's Boots (Paperback)
This is the 4th book by Hill that I have. Obviously I like them and this latest book of his did not disappoint, Very good read in these snowy winter days when motorbike is not an option - but I'm waiting for the end of biking hibernation, of course.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cracking read, 27 Jan. 2015
Again another witty book worth reading not just for bikers but people who enjoy travelling.
Grog conveys how difficult it must have been for Clancy over 100 years ago to undertake this epic journey

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 25 Jun. 2014
D. Perry - See all my reviews
This review is from: In Clancy's Boots (Paperback)
Probably Geoff's best book to date, in my opinion. A little less of the unfunny 'pint of frog spawn' comments in this one which made some of his other books a little annoying to read.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

In Clancy's Boots
In Clancy's Boots by Geoff Hill (Paperback - 24 Oct. 2013)