Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen in Prime Shop now Learn more

Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 December 2011
Now I'll be honest and say up front I'm big Geoff Hill fan and have all of his previous books, both bike related and otherwise.
While its not a bad book its not to Geoff's usual standard. Not sure if its down to the dueal authorship which stops it quite getting into its stride.
Dont get me wrong Geoff is his entertaining and informative self it just seems a little disjointed and not as many laugh out loud moments.
Unlike his other books which made me want to pack the bike or case within the first couple of chapters this one left me a little less enthused.
Hope its just a minor glitch and I would reccomend all of his other books wholeheartedly
on 6 October 2011
I have to say I have only read half the book and just can not get any ennthusiam to finish it. I thought it was a travel book, I have driven around Australia in 1970 and was reallly looking forward to reviving some memories. The book is more about the Authors, of which which I have no interest in, rather than the trip.
on 13 June 2013
More excellent stuff for Geoff, full of wit and accessible writing. Interesting ''double act'' chapters with Colin O'Farrell about their ride ''round the block''. I only wish the book had been longer, as in places it seems a bit hurried, although the details and history of the places visited is an education in itself. Another volume to add to my collection!
on 8 September 2012
I enjoyed 'The road to Gobblers Knob' and this book is written in Geoff Hills same zany style, although it is somewhat unusual in that Colin O'Carrol and Geoff take turns in writing a bit each. It all works though and doesn't follow the Diary approach too much. A very good read.
on 8 January 2011
Oz is the story of the authors' three-month, 15,000-mile road trip, counter-clockwise around Australia's fabled Highway One from Adelaide to Adelaide, aboard a pair of Triumph Tigers.

It's a trip I'd love to make myself, and I always enjoy Geoff Hill's writing, so it's no surprise that I really enjoyed the read. The book is co-written with fellow journalist Colin O'Carroll, and they take a page or two by turns. This works surprisingly well because although there are two distinct voices, they complement one another - Hill dispensing wry observations with his easy style and typically offbeat humour; O'Carroll (who spent his youth in Australia, refers to Australians as 'us' and is clearly on an emotional as well as an epic journey) giving it to us straight by comparison; but both men sharing their love of adventure and the open road with an exuberance which is infectious. This is Geoff Hill on Queensland's Great Dividing Range:

'...we swooped and dived through lush grassland, copse and sugar plantations, on a road of such seductive curves that if it had been a woman , you would have married it and had its children, never mind the pain.
Finally, as the sun kissed the gold and azure sky farewell for another day...there was the Koorawatha Motel on our left, so sudden that we almost shot past it. We rolled up the gravel drive to its front door, laughing with happiness at the day to end all days.'

I forgive Hill and O'Carroll their appalling omission when they got to Longreach, gateway to the outback, in choosing to experience, respectively, the Qantas Founders Museum and a free barbeque in the local Rotary Park, instead of the Stockman's Hall of Fame, because Hill is a flier, O'Carroll obviously likes his tucker and it's still a great book - but it very nearly cost them the fifth star, as the Stockman's will be a highlight of my trip, if I ever make it..
on 6 January 2015
Well written and an easy read. Being a biker and having lived in Aus I was taken back to my time out there. The writers have a good sense of humour and a good line in banter.
on 15 December 2012
This book is awful. It has nothing to do with riding bikes. It is about 2 boring, freeloading journalists who did the trip for a book and DVD. And they have the gall to criticise charley and Ewan?
I cannot even finish it. Do not read, do not buy it, do not pass go.
Complete and utter garbage.
VINE VOICEon 8 June 2011
Having read one of Geoff Hills previous books and enjoyed it, I had hoped for more of the same. I was interested in the 'round Australia' aspect. It delivered in as much as they did succeed. Dont know why, but this book never got off the ground for me - just lacked some sort of spark.
on 8 January 2011
I enjoyed Geoff Hills previous two books on motorcycle travel, he is very funny and when travelling through exotic places sums up local conditions well.
This book however is not up to previous standards, I eagerly awaited its arrival and was dissapointed from the start. Geoff and his less funny journalist pal have turned into Euan and Charlie, everything has to be sponsored before they start and not in my mind the right attitude for adventure travel.
I always fancied travelling around Australia but this book has dampened my enthusiasm, bland is a word that springs to mind.
Well researched local history is a major part of the book but leaves you confused as to whether its a motorcycle travel book (which it isn't in my opinion) or a historic look around Oz.
Summary, didn't hit the spot at all
on 1 January 2011
I thoroughly enjoyed this new book from Goeff Hill. It was informative, quirky and funny and I would recommend it to anyone.