5.0 out of 5 stars It's good to dream
As an ex-obsessive, but now very occasional, golfer I found this a superb insight into the psychology of the amateur player.

Do we not all have a copy of the Big Book Of Excuses?
Published on 23 May 2009 by J. Allan

3.0 out of 5 stars Good-But Could Be Much Better
Interesting book, but I was looking for much more technical info on what he actually did. The book really talks about the emotional process more than the actual swing work and practice techniques. I enjoyed the book and thought it was an amazing challenge to succeed at...but when I thought about it more I realized that with his money, free access to the range, teaching...
Published on 22 April 2011 by Matt Collins

5.0 out of 5 stars It's good to dream, 23 May 2009
This review is from: 'Dream On': One Hacker's Challenge to Break Par in a Year (Paperback)

Do we not all have a copy of the Big Book Of Excuses?
Have we not all at one time strung together our best efforts on each hole and thought "If I could just string them together I'd shoot a 67"? Well John Richardson didn't just ponder this, he got off his clubhouse barstool and went and did just that.

I appreciated that it would require a lot of time, effort and stress, but what John's account brought home to me is just how much self-examination and willingness to change was required to complete the challenge. I am not sure many people could open themselves up in such a way.

As John struggled with his lack of progress in scoring even though he was working long hours and improving his game I could literally feel his frustration as I read his account. Fortunately I also got to share in his excitement as `the round' progressed to it's climax and actually felt a sense of relief as he described holing that final putt.

I would have loved to be there when he called Sam Torrance to break the good news...

5.0 out of 5 stars Golf Book of The Year - Dream On if you think otherwise!, 11 Jun. 2009
Length:: 1:26 Mins

How many of us have dreamt of playing just one round of par golf or better, when the reality is that we are barely struggling to break 90 or 100. Well John Richardson didn't just dream about it, he actually went out there and did it!

In Dream on: The Challenge to Break Par in a Year John gives an honest account of the period during which he devoted himself to the highs and lows of trying to break par. It's awe-inspiring to read about John's rollercoaster ride throughout the 12 months of this golfing challenge where through hard work, pure determination and sheer bloody-mindedness he stuck to the discipline and succeeded triumphantly!

Evidence of what an amazing feat this was to achieve is evident in Sam Torrance's comment that John should "Dream On" and his fellow Irishman Darren Clarke telling him it would take a minimum of 3 years to achieve his break par goal.

Having been aware of John and his self-imposed golf challenge to break par some years ago I was intrigued to read this book. I've read many golf books but this was one which did not disappoint - I read it cover to cover in 2 days! In my opinion this book was a small investment which delivered not only huge performance improvements with my own golf but also helped me to deal with the mental aspects and challenges of the game.

What makes this a fascinating and easy read is John's straightforward storytelling which is laced with his fantastic Irish wit and his inspiring honesty. At the outset of his story what John lacked in golfing ability he certainly made up for with his passion for the beautiful game. Throughout the book, as well as explaining how tough this challenge was for him and those around him, he entertains us with the experiences which he encountered during his year long journey. This is a classic tale of man vs golf ball, one you won't be able to put down - I promise you!

You can take things away from this book to improve your own game. Personally I will be re-reading this whenever I feel in need of motivation - I think the book clearly confirms that we can achieve anything in life as long as we have belief in ourselves and are willing to devote time and energy to working at it.

Even if you're not an avid golf fan you will still enjoy this book. You will come away from reading it energized and motivated! I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enabled is the word I'm looking for. Magnificent read!, 4 Aug. 2009
Kindle Customer (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
Quite simply BRILLIANT!!! Honestly, No words out of my mouth can do this story enough justice. Hell I've never even written a review before now....for anything!

Now...

Just the very idea of being able to achieve the unachievable or to reach the unreachable was enough to grab my attention and buy this book. Dream On's author did just that in this marvellous mini-biography and has instilled me with bags of confidence and self belief every time step onto a golf course.

John Richardson, businessman, family man and a high handicap golfer managed to take an idea or rather a childhood dream and with a support, determination and a passion for the game that only a golfer could really comprehend managed to make his boyhood dream a reality.

John's goal was to play one level par round of golf at his par 71 home course(when he couldn't even break 100) by doing whatever it took, with the only stipulations being that he had one year to do it and it wasn't to affect his home or work life. This was to be a challenge that in theory, anyone could do. Scratch to Scratch!

The very idea of this challenge gives inspiration to every club golfer irrespective of your playing level. When I first heard about this book I could hardly wait for it to be delivered and was gutted that I'd have to wait for it to be ordered that I rang around every large bookshop in the West Midlands to see if I could get it any faster myself. Something struck a chord in me as the thought of someone in this world of similar age and golfing ability as me can stick his finger up to the man and achieve what most of us can only imagine is possible was too irresistible to let pass me by.

AND I'M SO GLAD I DIDN'T LET IT!!!

This is such a funny book, written by a man obviously obsessed to the point that most would question his sanity with this one goal whilst battling through the separate challenges of everyday life. It had me hooked from the start (pardon the pun) and I couldn't put the thing down for days. I felt every bit the pain John did as I read through his year long challenge with him, felt his guilt at the time he spent away from his family and marvelled at the support of those close to him until the huge sense of relief and excitement when `Dream On' finally reached its climax.

This is a must read for anyone who has ever been told "Your not good enough to do that." As this book leaves you with the notion that anything actually is possible!

And you know what? Even in the pouring rain last weekend I shot a new personal best and 10 shot lower than my usual game...coincidence?

5.0 out of 5 stars inspirational read, 14 Dec. 2013
Very we'll written, keeping you involved in the
progress being made with the right balance of information about all the factors impacting the challenge.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring Book, Highly Recommend, 17 April 2015
I came across this book purely by accident. I was at the Dentists waiting for some lovely procedure (I'm sure) and I spotted an article in a Golf magazine about 'Dream On'.

I bought the book as something stuck with me because John created a challenge over twelve months and juggled his family life and a fifty hour weekly work life. He wasn't some millionaire trustafarian athlete with a load of time on his hands. He's normal hard working bloke who was shooting 105 with a target to breaking par in a year.

It's honest, engaging and inspiring. Even if you're not a golfer, it's about taking on a challenge, taking on the naysayers and giving it a go.

It's a fantastic book and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Golf, 21 Dec. 2013
Very good read about the challenges of golf , practise and home life. Easy to follow and under stand , well done

5.0 out of 5 stars the book can be enjoyed by all sports fans and those who just like ..., 19 Oct. 2014
Enjoyable read for all club golfers, who will be all too familiar with the trials and tribulations of John's quest for his own golfing Nirvana. However, the book can be enjoyed by all sports fans and those who just like a good adventure story.

As a 10 handicap club golfer of 15 years, a lot rings true and there are some interesting insights that I will be investigating for my own game development. Particular like his moments alone with his imaginary Seve!

His follow up book 50 Greatest Golf Tips, is well worth a read too.
Will be using some of the tips to hopefully get back into single figures next year and just maybe fire a sub par round myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Its Kinda Fun to Do the impossible, 5 Aug. 2009
Golf book for sure. Self-help and motivational - even more so.
On the surface aimed at golfers - in reality us all.
I nicked the quote above from Walt Disney and the book. And I read this in one evening before realising at 445am it was probably time to go to sleep.
All of us can identify with these writings - and as the average handicapper of 17 who has nevertheless on one benign day at London and Hatfield shot a 73, we know that this has the added benefit of being true.
Cannot recommend this highly enough - and Im sure looking back now the author realises how many hundreds of thousands can be inspired by a challenge like this.
And spend less time down at the garden centres.
Or the pub, or watching TV, or bemoaning our luck...
When all is said and done theres a lot more said than done.
Just do it - and congratulations by the way.

5.0 out of 5 stars a book about achieving a goal, 5 Aug. 2013
R de Bulat (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
John Richardson give a warts and all account of how he set out to break par, risking marriage, business and health and, when it seemed nearly hopeless, winning through - no spoilers here, you will have to read it for details. I enjoyed this book on KIndle, which is well written and instructive - about golf and life in general. The author is pretty much a driven personality and has had his hand in business and writing about business: this book tells us something about what it takes to succeed and, strangely enough, about what it doesn't, with a lot about golf, self-belief and a philosophy for what matters. A good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good read!, 25 Nov. 2013
A study in obsession; a man trying to overcome the mental and physical challenges of playing scratch golf within 12 months. The best parts are the humorous parts - love the Seve Ballesteros stories!

'Dream On': One Hacker's Challenge to Break Par in a Year
'Dream On': One Hacker's Challenge to Break Par in a Year by John Richardson (Paperback - 20 May 2009)