VINE VOICEon 2 March 2004
Elizabeth Jennings is one of the last poets of lyric quietude, which is the only way I can think of to describe her calm yet passionate poetry. Being not that way inclined, I tend to stay away from her more overtly religious work, but love her everyday insights and moving lyricism more than any other poet I have read.
She often reserves the punch (and the telling rhyme) until the last two lines, making many of her shorter poems little ephiphanies of the everyday. She's not a million miles away from both Auden and Larkin, though without Larkin's bitterness or Auden's intertextuality; her poems can be enjoyed for themselves, without broad knowledge of The Tradition (or The Canon), though her fierce intelligence shines through every line, and a Jennings revival must surely be on the cards.
Many lines will already be familiar to you - 'Lying apart now, each in separate beds...', 'I have come into the hour of a white healing...', 'We pick at quarrels now...', 'So much of power is put into my hand...' - these words have a quiet resonation with many people who say they have not read any Jennings.
Deeply satisfying, hugely insightful, these really are poems 'of the human condition', expressing joy, loneliness, grief, regret, love, empathy and loss, with a very British dignity and reserve lending a calming restraint to the lyricism inherant the language.
on 29 January 2013
A collection of around 300 poems from works of 1953 to 1985, selected by the poet herself.
'... not a Complete Poems. It contains all the work which I still hope is worth preserving...'
on 4 October 2014
After an initial failure to supply as described my order was quickly fulfilled as advertised -
sad it wasn't the case to start with.
But thanks for sorting it
on 18 July 2015
I am so glad I discovered the poetry of Elizabeth Jennings.
on 25 July 2015
Excellenbt
on 7 June 2010
I purchase a good number of books via Amazon. This is the first occasion I have had to enter anything but a 5 star . I was disappointed that the book, a present for my daughter was marred by comments and annotations written throughout the text by a previous owner. The actual poems are wonderful.
The condition of the book had been described as 'good'
There you go.