on 23 July 2008
This is exactly the kind of watercolour book I like and the type of paintings I like to do. There are lots of handy hints and the demonstrations are easy to follow. I found it easier to follow if i had Terry's speacial colour paints as being a beginner I was having trouble mixing the right shade. This was the only problem i found and that I find with most of Terry's books (that is he uses his colours rather than standard colours). However as I like doing the paintings I did invest in some tubes of the right colours and hey - I was away. Some of the paintings look quite complex but when broken down into sections are achievable, even for the near beginner. So go on, have a go with this great book.
on 12 January 2008
I am a 'beginner' after 30+ years of neglecting this wonderful relaxing pasttime. I bought this book and had fantastic guidance, page after page. I now use a Wizard brush (thanks Terry) for my watercolour painted trees and shrubs and for beautiful painted lines in ploughed fields and glistening seas - a good practical guide for people who cannot get tuition. I have ordered one for my brother who is also taking up watercolour painting in his early 30s.
on 12 February 2004
This book by Terry "Heart of the Village" Harrison gives the reader the benefit of the author's vast experience in rural, sporting and landscape scenes and is a superb companion for the amateur watercolour enthusiast. The book's easy-to-read format and accompanying examples of Harrison masterpieces has given me, a relative novice, a keen insight into the intricate world of art. I was pleased to see Harrison was able to translate his undoubted artistic talent into accessible advice. Not always easy with geniuses.
on 24 August 2010
There are many and varied books on this subject, and this is certainly one of the better ones !
A great deal of information on many aspects of watercolour techniques..... and is a great help to both the beginner and the more experienced !
Beautifully illustrated with the artists' own work , these examples of Terry Harrisons' skill are a valuable lesson in themselves , a vast amount can be learned simply by looking at how his "finished painting " along with his descriptive tips ...." turn out" on the paper !
The chapter on the brushes alone is reason enough to buy this book ! The additional coverage on masking techniques is given more coverage than most books offer.... and the numerous tips on many other aspects of watercolouring are a great help too !
On the whole ...a great addition to any library !
on 14 October 2011
This starts with colour and composition from the moment you pick it up! I have found it easy to follow and full of ideas about what to do and how. Start painting here and do it again without the book and you will realise how much help the book is. I now rate Terry Harrison as an inspiration!
He starts with the tools you will need and then how to use them. He shows you a few scenes to complete and talks you through each one. And you can flip back through the pages if you get stuck.
Can't recommend this book enough especially if you are keen and need somewhere to start.
on 14 May 2014
Another book which is really helping me get to grips with water-colour painting again, lovely pictures to copy, useful advice and tips. Very pleased. would recommend
on 11 December 2011
this s of a great help to my students and i we can now get a great insight into how we could be going wrong and ihow to rectify it
on 31 December 2015
Have not had much time to study this book but am pleased with what I have found so far. There are detailed exercises using the recommended brushes, although not everyone will possess these - an excuse to buy more brushes? Clearly illustrated with examples of finished work.
on 25 October 2014
I have bought many of these books, I am part of an art society an when I buy a book I take it to art
people look through an theres always one that wants one. My friend is thrilled with the book, an got stuck
in straight away.
on 30 September 2014
A great book. I'm learning watercolour after many years self taught in oils. Used in conjunction with Terrys appearances on satellite TV and it's almost painting by numbers simple.