on 29 April 2011
This is a great little book which is part of a series of books on different art techniques. I first borrowed it from the library and found it so useful, I decided to buy it. These books tell you all you need to know on a subject with great illustrations and projects to have a go at - good value for money, and a book you can dip into again and again.
on 24 June 2013
I received this book as a birthday gift to help me along in my new love of painting with pastels.
It goes over many and various techniques for pastel work with examples of paintings done in the style being discussed by professional artists, so you get a good idea of how that particular technique can be used in different artistic styles and to creating a finished piece. Plenty of pictures and photos.

I personally feel that this book alone is not enough as it's not so much a 'how to' or 'step by step' as some other books are, but an encyclopedia of pastel techniques as the title suggests! However, I have found it valuable and interesting alongside several other pastel books in helping me learn and understand this art medium more thoroughly.
Definately worth buying if you want to understand more of what you can achieve with the various pastels (oil,soft,pencil) out there.
on 6 September 2011
Excellent! never tried pastel painting before and was a bit afraid of starting it, but this book makes it very easy and enjoyable. Thank you.
This book is beautifully produced and thorough in the ground it covers. All possible pastel techniques with the different types of crayon are described such as gestural drawing and hatching and examples given. There are sections on themes like landscapes and light and some demonstrations of how to build up a picture. As a complete beginner, I would have liked more connection between the methods described and their possibilities in a painting and it seems to me to be a book for someone with some expertise to improve their skills. It would make a lovely present for such a person.
on 10 August 2010
this book does exactly what it says on the tin.so to speak
very helpful
on 5 February 2013
It was what I really needed as I just started to use this medium.
It answered all my questions. Just Perfect.
on 23 February 2012
As a beginner this book really improved my pastel techniques. It has helpful demonstrations and tips, and brilliant examples of so many various artists works, it also shows you how to mix pastels with other media such as watercolour and gouache.

I also found it a source of inspiration for some of my compositions. It has given me a lot of joy.

My boyfriend bought it me as a valentines gift after I had added it as a favourite and I can't fault it. Brownie points all around. XD
on 4 December 2001
interesting and very usefull
i enjoed every different section 0f the book
its very usefull particulary for those starting workshop in pastels.
on 6 September 2014
i love it, i will be using it a lot when my hands arent so painful, they are bad but they will get better!Painting helps me move my fingers etc!
on 25 February 2014
As a beginner this books covers all I need to know from beginning to paint with pastels and onwards. Thee is so much to learn. I can see that even the experienced pastel painter will find this book helpful as it covers so many techniques one can use. Have already started my first picture and I am well on the way to finishing a very lovely flower. I think this is a good subject to start with.