Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 May 2001
A very simple, beautifully illustrated and laid out book. The full colour photos ensure you can follow the stitches and patterns exactly.
I'm sure that a beginner could easily use it and for myself with a little experience it is an excellent source of design ideas and a good refresher course.
If I had to have one criticsm it would be that the explanation for completing stem stitch is not particularly good.
I also have the Royal School of Needlework's Embroidery Techniques book which is an essential addition to your collection but the crewel designs in it are not as lovely as Jane Rainbow's.
All in all a definite must and even better it is a bargain for the hours of enjoyment you'll get out of it.
This book is a must, a well thought out book for beginners with bright and colourful pictures of stage by stage procedures. From threading the needle to stretching the finished work. A clear pictures of Stitch techniques and how to use them. This book will inspirers you to pick up ones needle and have a go.
on 12 April 2003
My wife Lesley has this book and says that it's the best book of its type. She's delighted with its explicit designs and attention to detail and the advice on needles, wools, and frames and especially on how to get started. Opening the book and showing it to me she says, "Look at the bird, and also the hedgehog, they're a delight"! To which I have to agree! She says, "It's super"! Her next question was, "Has Jane Rainbow written any other books"?
on 27 May 2014
Although at first glance the designs look very pretty and enticing I found the instructions for the actual stitches rather sketchy and not as detailed as a beginner might require. I was also very disappointed that, although in the "search this book" section one could see a cute little stitched hedgehog there was no actual design for it in the book.
on 20 April 2011
I am absolutely delighted with my purchase, its a very informative guide book to anyone who is new to crewel embroidery, and I find it a very useful reference book. Clare - Coleraine
on 27 June 2011
I ignored the least praiseworthy review and bought this book but I share some of the disappointment.There are very sound instructions and guidance on all the processes until it comes to the actual stitches which are not particularly clear in the photos.Diagrams in my ancient Anchor book of embroidery stitches are much clearer.I was hoping for imaginative interpretations but this was unfair as the book is recommended for beginners.It is a very traditional book in terms of design if this is what you want.If you are seeking unusual and creative approaches, look elsewhere.
on 2 December 2010
I bought this book after completeing a couple of Crewel Kits and I found it to be an excellent guide for beginers. Very clear instructions for each stich type , including the infamous French knot - which I had previously struggled with.

Nice clear design work and details of how to block the finished design. Definately worth a look
on 15 April 2016
Very clear, well written and presented book. I have completed crewel projects from kits before but this shows the stitches really well and has given me inspiration to try designing my own project. I have since purchased some of the iron on transfer books and a pack of plain shopping bags with which to have a go.
on 7 July 2015
Bought this for my friend along with the Floral Starter Kit as she had never done anything like this before. She was delighted with both items and was very glad of this book as it really helped her. Well worth buying this item if you are new to crewel work. Lots of tips and hints and also other accessories.
on 1 December 2013
Bought this as a 'refresher', having gone back to embroidery after a gap of about 30 years. Although it doesn't show a vast amount of stitches, those that are shown are enough for the beginner. The instructions and photographs are very clear and the suggested designs very effective.