on 26 August 2009
Well what can I say, except I own a fair amount of Bibles, NIV, RSV, NRSV, Good News Bible and KJV. I received this version this morning, and it wieghs an absolute ton! Due to the amount of information there. From People Profiles to Time lines and maps. Also the notes regards passages are excellent.

The best thing about this version is that at the begining of each Book there is a short yet very indepth introduction giving you an overview of the subjects that book covers, maps of the Area that events occured and much more.

For anyone who reads the Bible this is a must have version, it is The Holy Bible that you can apply to you everyday life and you can actually discover more of what God's word means.

The NIV is and has always been clear and easy to understand without loosing the feel of the Scripture, I feel personally the NRSV may have lost some of that feel, silly things like substituting, Jesus for "He" in many passages and also removing all the gender references from this version to me is a bad thing.

NIV doesn't do this, and I am pretty sure that the questions you find whilst reading this Life Application Study Bible will answer them.

A word to about Amazons delivery, Simply exceptional! I placed the order after 2pm yesterday 25th August and asked for 1st Class delivery (Note NOT Next DAY) and at 5.30 I got an email saying dispatched via City Link.

The order Arrived this morning at 9.00am not even 24 hours I had to wait.
on 18 January 2007
I've had my NIV Life Application Bible now for six years. As I look at it sitting there on the desk beside me, it's pretty worn out - the dust jacket is in pieces and the hard cover has become separated from the pages (which thankfully are all still there). Besides this there are numerous coffee stains and thousands of hand-written notes on the dog-eared pages. In short this Bible and I have been through a lot together. Not only is the text the wonderfully clear and readable NIV but the notes themselves have enabled me to understand and apply the text to my everyday life situation. As I flick through the pages I smile as I remember God speaking to me through those timeless and all-important words. In my role as a pastor I have found the notes to be invaluable, not only in producing sermons that people can relate to and understand, but also in pretty much every area and aspect of ministry.

I probably have ten or more Bibles on the shelf and around the house. This is the one I use more than any other. I highly recommend it.
11 comment|102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 May 2009
I already have a study bible, but wanted an easier to use more modern one, and this is it. It is extremely user friendly - all the additional information is on the same pages as the bible text. It is also written in such a way, you want to keep going on and exploring more, as it brings the Word to life. I bought this for leading study groups to give better background info on the texts, and found it really helpful for giving better understanding to the background and meaning, as it is completely relevant, easy to understand language AND has great application notes. It also has plenty of maps and biography boxes to better 'ground' the reader in the verses. Superb bible and commentry - Highly recommended.
on 9 November 1998
I was a KJV advocate before I got the NIV Life Application Bible, and now I can finally understand what the Bible means. Not only is the NIV text beautiful and understandable, but the Life Application notes are a must for Christian growth, in that they not only explain the text of the Bible, but they tell you how to apply the Bible to your life. This is a Bible worthy of reading for all times. Thank you!
I'm a moderate reader of the Bible who goes through spells of faithfulness, sometimes even intensity, and then drifts away for a while. I establish this so that, when I say the pages are starting to fall out of my ten-year-old Life Application Study Bible, you'll know that I'm not a really heavy user of it and yet it's showing its mortality despite its immortal subject matter.

So, when you buy one ... not "if", but when ... then I wouldn't suggest a really fancy leather version. The hardback is fine.

As other reviewers have noted, the text is clear, has a lot of helpful additional information, is well cross-referenced with commentary, concordance, and maps. I, too, own about half-a-dozen Bibles: NASB, NIV, Amplified, an NIV Jesus Bible, a CEV Knowledge Bible, a NKJV Children's Ministry Resource Bible, etc., but when I'm doing my own personal Bible study and reading, I always pick the Life Application Study Bible. It just 'splains things better.

That's why I'm planning to buy another one, after I trot along to the bookstore to thumb through some hard copies before making my decision about which translation of LASB I want to buy this time.
on 19 September 2006
I can't recommend this Bible enough! An excellent resource for historical and geographical facts, apart from anything else, but the BEST thing about it is the extensive explanations that are given about the text. Each page is divided in half, with the scriptures on the top half and the explanations in the part underneath. So, if you read something and want to have it clarified, you just glance down the page and all is explained! Absolutely fabulous! I own a lot of Bibles, but this is the one I use every day and the one I love the best. A great study tool as well. I recommend this Bible to everyone. If you are only ever going to buy ONE family Bible, THIS is the one to buy!
on 21 September 2010
This is a great Bible for anyone learning the scriptures. Gives the full New International Version Bible plus the added bonus of notes covering the history and meanings to help explain it easier.
A must have Bible for new Christians, It is quite a large book so I would recommend the smaller version if you intend carrying it around or you will find your arms aching.
on 19 August 2010
I bought this Bible for an elderly friend having returned one study Bible already as I had purchased a 'compact' version by mistake. This one was physically much bigger but the font size is still pretty small. I will not be returning it but it isn't the final study Bible I will get for my friend. So my comment is - the text is surprisingly small.
on 5 December 2010
Absolutely amazing. This study Bible helps you with everything you need to know about the bible, with the wisdom of GOD you can begin to understand His wonders.
on 24 May 1998
I own 4 study Bibles altogether. This one is by far the best of the bunch. Easy to read text, tons of study helps. Great charts, diagrams and maps sprinkled throughout the text. The study notes are so insightful and thought-provoking, in fact, that it takes twice as long to read this Bible as it does for others. :)