5.0 out of 5 stars Poirot's swan song.
If you don't already know it, this is Poirot's last case.
I came across this book after I had read MANY other Poirot's cases and I was familiar with the surroundings. Lady Agatha takes us back to Styles Court, where we first met the little Belgian man with the egg shaped head. And so, the circle is closed.
This is, in my opinion, the most mature of Christie's...
Published on 3 Feb 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Good value
This book is good value for money but a bit different to other Agatha Christie novels. It makes the reader feel tinged with sadness at the demise of Hercule Poirot throughout; even though it has all the usual twists and turns.
Published 3 months ago by Joan Herdman

5.0 out of 5 stars Poirot's swan song., 3 Feb 2001
By A Customer
If you don't already know it, this is Poirot's last case.
This is, in my opinion, the most mature of Christie's stories. Poirot faces the ultimate assassin: an individual capable of the perfect crime. He understands his methods, but also finds it impossible to intervene. And so he takes the matter on to his own hands, although knowing that no crime can go unpunished.
Maybe the essence of the book is in the last few lines, hidden by a mark on a man's forehead. Don't miss it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Poirot's swan song., 18 Sep 2001

5.0 out of 5 stars Curtain, 24 Mar 2009
J. Staveley "Madbard" (West Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
Even though Poirot is physically disabled his little grey cells are still in working order as he solves his last case. Brilliantly read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful stuff !, 23 Jan 2008
Mr. Mg Reynolds "Carry On fan" (Oxfordshire UK) - See all my reviews
It is for Poirot what The Remorseful Day was for poor old Morse ! It is Poirot's last stand - although weak & infirm he manages to thwart the most dangerous criminal he has encountered . One can just hear David Suchet & Hugh Fraser saying Poirot and Hastings lines . I long for the TV adaptation as those two actors are superb as Hercule Poirot & Captain Hastings and it would draw a line in the sand by filming this great novel . Of course it is a sentimental return to Styles where it all started as dear Poirot's life goes full circle by returning to the scene of his early great success in England . It is nice to see Poirot & Hastings back together - hunting again as in the ABC Murders . It is a great storyline as one would expect from Dame Agatha Christie . She finally does what Mrs Oliver never did with Sven her detective of whom she got fed up . The twists & turns and little clues aka red herrings are what one would expect from Dame Agatha and certainly keep the reader on the edge of their seat . If you wish to crown your collection of Poirot litrature or just wish to know how the David Suchet series will end then this is the novel for you !

4.0 out of 5 stars Recent TV version didn't do it justice, 15 Jan 2014
I wanted to compare the book with the recent TV adaptation which I found disappointing. Ingenious plot a fitting end to the Poirot series. The Kindle version has an excellent section at the end with summaries of all the Poirot cases. Very useful and, armed with this, I might well (re-)read others in the series.

4.0 out of 5 stars "I do not approve of murder".. / an Art Deco bromance, 3 Oct 2012
Sasha D (London, England) - See all my reviews
As a lifelong AC fan who finds something to enjoy in almost all her works, I like this tale and find it quite moving. I've always loved the dynamic between Poirot and Hastings and their spikily affectionate exchanges, so this being the last Poirot novel is poignant for me. AC's books are always readable, amusing and wise. When she is at her best, her work is timeless. Probably why I hardly ever see her books in charity shops.

There are gaping holes in this plot, bizarre motivation of the killer, the whole premise is unlikely at best, and weak characterisation (I found Hastings' daughter Judith particularly irritating)but it moves along at a fair pace, Poirot is as sharp, perceptive and wry as usual and Hastings as kindly, well-intentioned and misguided.

Classic nostalgia where people greet each other with "hullo", "queer" used to have a totally different meaning, a sinister lothario Major, saucy nurse(the obligatory redhead for Hastings to admire :)) tisanes, drugged hot chocolate, and lamentations about English cooking...back in the original setting where Poirot and Hastings first met decades ago. What's not to like?

As a sucker for AC's classic 10-15 people whodunnit, each with their own secrets, where things are never quite as they seem, I cannot help but enjoy Poirot and Hastings together for the final time, back at Styles. I re-read each of my 70 AC novels every 5 years or so, and I never stop enjoying them. There'll never be another writer like AC for me.

Far from her best, but still enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Please read this book after other Poirot mysteries, 23 Jun 2011
Although you could read and enjoy this book without having read any earlier cases you will appreciate it more if you read it last. This is because the character of Hastings and Poirot is integral to the plot - but I wont say any more and spoil it for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing end to an amazing collection!, 7 Feb 2014
After having read MANY Agatha Christie novels, I didn't want the last one to disappointment... and it definitely didn't! Christie is a genius, and this book was one of her greatest. (The ABC murders is my favourite personally)

5.0 out of 5 stars Poirot's Last Case, 18 Jan 2014
Very good read, kept one thinking all the way through. Being Poirot's Last Case was quite sad, end of an era!

5.0 out of 5 stars great, 14 Jan 2014
super story and very good read would recomend to anyone very good value for money and couldnt put it down

Curtain: Poirot's Last Case (Ulverscroft large print series. [mystery])
Used & New from: 19.99