1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars THE INTRODUCTION [From Within The Book], 13 May 2009
R. A. Hylton "liverpoolbooqshop" (Liverpool, England) - See all my reviews
FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE, I HAVE SUPPLIED A PHOTOGRAPH OF THE BOOK, AND THIS IS THE "INTRODUCTION", FROM PAGE 4. :

************************************************************************

INTRODUCTION :

It is more than probable that the story of the Old Corps will not be as interesting for you as it is for me. Some, whose memories are not as long as mine, will not be able to appreciate the thrill I experience in recalling the far-off days when our Army was in the making - a thrill emphasized by the fact that I should be a veteran enough to be associated with those early days. The younger among us will, I am sure, be none the worse for reading about the trials and triumphs of their forebears in the fight; they may, by the blessing of god, gain a keener appreciation of the traditions in which they have been bred and of the way The Army has come.

None of us has the choice of parentage or birthplace; but when one hails from an Army centre with a splendid record of fighting from the early days until now, and when the passing of the years and of those who so largely made the record has given it the halo of sanctity, then let the tale be told.

Other comrades could tell similar stories of the Corps of their early days, perhaps tales of greater historic interest; Well, let them also have a mind to work. As for me, let me proceed with the setting down of the exploits of those with whom I used to 'march and play,' and in whose company I first caught the Army spirit - the comrades of the 'old 335th Corps,' Folkstone.
Edward H. Joy
Carshalton,
June, 1944

***********************************************************************

FROM THE BACK COVER :

Gives a number of vivid, sometimes amusing and often very moving pictures of 'how we fought in the early days.' The author, one of the Salvation Army's foremost raconteurs, has drawn on his memories of battles (not always bloodless) and victories in an English South Coast town fifty years and more ago. Such chapters as 'Both Seeking the Same Lord,' 'The Power of the Name,' 'He Laughed his Way into the Gloryland' and 'Treasurer Luke' - once read - will not easily be forgotten.

Old Corps
Old Corps by Edward H. Joy (Paperback - Dec 1975)
Used & New from: £4.99