Format: Hardcover|Change

on 13 September 2011
This book is undoubtedly beautifully produced with lots of nice photos and clear maps.
The walks themselves look to be enjoyable and interesting but I've yet to try them out.
There are however relatively few walks presented. There is a lot of white space in the design of this book and it could have been half the size or contained twice the number of walks.
My main problem though is that each walk is preceded with an historical introduction, intended I assume to enhance the walk itself. These are too short to go into useful detail but clearly too long for the authors' level of knowledge and can be repetitive. The history they present is either superficial, out of date, or in places just plain wrong. There are also too many faux evocative references to how things must have felt in the old days, with no real back up. The books given in the further reading sections are also not the latest on the subject and sometimes even out of print. Maybe this is unfair, as I am a professional landscape archaeologist, but it is just as important to be as accurate as possible in a popular introduction to a subject as it is in an academic debate. The authors really should have made more effort or had some people who know look over their text.
I would recommend that rather than buy this book walkers with an historical interest would do much better to get a general book of walks and do their own research. Nationally Oliver Rackham's History of the Countryside (which to their credit the authors recommend) is still a good introduction but perhaps period based overviews give more information. English Heritage published some useful regional volumes a few years back and Shire Books always provide a good introduction to specific subjects (though some of these are a bit old - check the publication date).
on 30 June 2011
As soon as i saw this book i knew i wanted it! I've read other books on pathways and historical routes and frankly the theory is all well and good but i also want to know where to go and how to tread in the footsteps of our ancestors. This is a book for anyone who loves Britain, loves a good walk and loves to know interesting and unusual facts about where they are. It is beautifully laid out and the photos seem to take you straight there, and there is practical information, where you will have to clamber or get your feet wet! Yes serious ramblers will want an OS map or laminated set of walking instructions (or i guess you could use some little electronic gizmo if that's your bag) but thats not what this is for. This book is like having a good friend who knows the best bits of this lovely country and excites you to get those boots out and join them. You can tell they love it too.
on 12 May 2012
We went to Brighton last Saturday and stayed the night so that we could do the costal walk in this book.How ever we found directions and instructions very poor. We found our way along Brighton sea front to the end of the electrical railway then after that directions not clear. We did find our way to the race. Course but seemed to do a tour of a large council estate , which did eventually lead us to the race course. A lot of information in this chapter on Brighton pier and general information and nice photographs but walks need more information and clearer instructions.
Very dissapointing walk.
Lovely looking book but not to be taken seriously for the walks as you will get lost.
Would not do one of their walks again.
I bought two of these books and gave one as a present wonder if they had more luck if they did any walks from it.
In my opion it is a lovely informative book but as for following their walks don't bother.
on 22 June 2011
Oh dear. I really thought this would be a more informative book, but it is just a disappointing "Coffee Table" offering. The text is interesting, but limited in scope. Each section, and there are 20 sections: eg Drovers Road, Monks' Trods, Village Walks, only gets a brief introduction, and just one example walk. And, there is no index, overall location map or detailed table of contents to guide you to a particular area.
The photography is good, and each featured walk has an outline map (Though an O.S. map would have been better).
The authors point you to walkingworld.com, but you have to pay to download their walks, whereas walkingbritain.co.uk is free.
on 11 August 2011
This is a great book. David and Nicholas take us on an exploration of pathways selected from the length and breadth of the country. The 'Pathways' theme is a super idea, and the writing is engaging and personal. The book itself follows a pathway, covering tracks and paths from pre-history up to the present day. Whatever your walking interests there is something in there for you, including country walks, coasts, mountains and even towns and cities.
I think Lemming has missed the point in his/her review - This isn't the kind of book you put in a rucksack, but equally it's much more than just a reference book - it can have a place on my coffee table anytime!
on 11 April 2013
I have had my eye on this book since I first read a review , being a keen walker it seemed like a good fit . It is , and then some . Sumptuously illustrated throughout with pix , maps and guides , this is a walkers dream , if your other half is difficult to buy for and enjoys getting off his/her derriere look no further !
on 11 January 2012
Bought this for a Christmas present. It was ideally suited and my brother-in-law is looking forward to trying out some of the walks. The book was delivered promptly.Thank you
on 14 January 2016
Really interesting history of the paths and byways we take for granted - and links to free walk descriptions if you are not already a member of Walking World.
on 12 February 2013
this book is easy to read and takes the reader on some great walks on the ancient pathways of this country.
on 6 July 2014
Not as detailed as I thought but more of a dip into and out of book. Well packed came on time