on 27 February 2011
I have been reading the Guardian for about 25 years.So to read and understand
somewhat how the hacks give us the best information in the best style this is a great read. Not it one go but a page or two at a time. Also great if unsure how
use a word or reference when writing something.
on 30 October 2014
Brilliant, thanks
on 2 December 2012
For anyone who is interested in writing for newspapers this bok is exactly what you are looking for. Just perfect.
on 1 January 2012
Although this was bought as a gift I had a chance to look in it and became totally absorbed. Very interesting alphabetical section on grammar as well as the rest of the book, also alphabetically, briefly describing word usage. (Be great if more radio presenters and speakers dipped into it now and then.)
on 20 February 2013
I have to admit that I haven't bought the book yet but I do follow Guardian Style on Twitter. I should warn readers though that there is no English Alliance, Union or Institute and so no style guide on English is definitive. On some point or other they will contradict each other. The Guardian Style guide is just that, the Guardian style guide, and then there's the Economist Style Guide (for aliens from outer space or the sort of people who work in finance), The Times Style Guide, the New Oxford Style Manual, etc., so don't think that what you read in any guide is absolute. That said, they do carry a great deal of weight, if only in the UK (British English - American English IS different, and it's not always just a case of vocabulary), and are more reliable than someone posing on the internet as a grammar guru (like me?).

PS I didn't put the comma in there after the ...
on 9 June 2013
So, I bought this book and the invitation to write a review duly arrived a feww weeks later from Amazon.

Normally I just delete the invitation. (To be asked to write a constructive review on a box of A4 paper, for example, is difficult for me and probably for most of us.)

On this occasion, I didn't delete the invitation. The book I'm being asked to review is so unworthy of the physical space occupied by it that I felt compelled to respond.

So what do we have here? It’s not a style guide. What we have here is a miscellany, which tells us more about the Guardian than about style.

Am I really to believe that luminaries such as Jon Snow and Iain Banks go along with this?

What follows are a few examples of the pointless content.

Knightley, Keira: that's all the entry says. So Knightley, Keira what, exactly? I can only assume that the journalists at the Guardian et al. are so incapable of spelling the name that they need a guide. A Google search would be quicker, and costs nothing (unlike the twelve quid or so I forked out).

Regent's Park: we're told that it's in London. Oh well, the Guardian started in Manchester, so perhaps we must make allowances. Maybe some of the journalists at the Guardian spell the name as 'Regents' Park'. How many regents does it take to have a park? Any sensible person could work out that one is enough.

guinea pig: another Knightly, Keira (or maybe it should be pig, guinea?). Obviously 'guinea pig' features strongly in the content of the Guardian et al., otherwise the term wouldn't be worthy of a mention. It's great to see that the down-trodden guinea pigs are getting the exposure they deserve. Am I to infer that they shouldn't now be called 'cavies'? Is that term now considered derogatory to guinea pigs? I'll find out the next time I go past the local pet shop.

I could go on and on, but I can't be bothered. If you're after a style guide on the use of English, ignore this one. 'Guardian Style' is a waste of paper. If a hack's guide to style is what you're after, The Economist provides a much better one.

Why not just stick to the classics by Fowler (Modern English Usage), Gowers (Plain Words) and Partridge (Usage and Abusage)? They really are entertaining, educational and truly informative. Larry Trask's 'Mind the Gaffe' is a great one, too.

Anyway, it's not all bad. In a few months time, I'll probably be asked by Amazon to trade in this book, so I might get something back. In the meantime, the book's doing a good job of levelling the budgie cage. At least the budgie likes the book, judging from the, erm, messages left on it.
on 12 April 2008
If you have ever wondered why the writing in the Guardian is often so appalling, here is your answer. The irritating tone of this guide is snotty and pompous; embodying a kind of Guardian speak faux-piety poorly disguising smug complacency.
55 comments|10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse