4.0 out of 5 stars ' to the point'
Sharp and concise. Just the book to improve your writing style even if you are not doing it profesionally. Well worth the meagre price.
Published on 11 Oct 2009 by Mr. P. L. Scully

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really 'how to write'
Not really a 'how to write', more a style guide with a few added tips, but I had a sense of this from previous reviews before I bought it. Still useful, but a little disappointing from something that says 'The Guardian' up front.
Published 22 months ago by Redcar

4.0 out of 5 stars ' to the point', 11 Oct 2009

3.0 out of 5 stars Not really 'how to write', 6 Oct 2012
This review is from: How to Write (Paperback)

4.0 out of 5 stars If you are serious, write today. Write tomorrow. write the next day. Make it part of your life., 13 Jan 2010
Peter Wade (Colchester England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: How to Write (Paperback)

One of the reviewers was not happy because this book is mainly a style guide for the Guardian. It was in fact one of the reasons that I wanted to read it.

Our language is all over the shop now and we cannot rely on the BBC to give us any pointers as to what we are supposed to be saying and doing with it.

The advantages of this book is that all the articles are quite short and to the point. It is broken down into How to write, a guide to good style and writer's directory that is how to approach publishers etc. The A-Z of style terms takes from page 218 to 315.

I am not a pedant where language is concerned but we now don't know where we are so the style guide is handy. All I want is some sort of consistency as to what we are supposed to be saying and reading. The style guide gives you plenty to think about.

Although we are reading and writing a lot more than we used to with blogs, texting etc all we are doing is copying other people's bad examples.

Under a I always thought it was an hotel but it seems I am wrong it it a hotel

Actors are now both male and female unless it is best actress.

My pet peeve is ahead of which they say avoid and use before or in advance of.

Basically this word is unnecessary basically. Some I have never understood begs the question which people think means raises the question.

A lot of the rules are about journalism but the problem is that the pubic think these are the real terms so newspapers use out of date expression even in my area of knowledge the law, so they talk about death duties, plaintiffs, access and custody which have all disappeared. No wonder the public are confused. I get clever individuals who think they know the law but are using all the wrong expressions and it makes them look stupid and uninformed, not clever.

They have a duty to get these things right particularly if you are reading the Guardian.

This is one of the many books on how to write and there is plenty to learn but as the quote at the beginning says the best way is to just keep doing it and thinking about it on a daily basis

If you haven't read about it this is as good as any particularly, the style guide.

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful resource for budding writers, 2 Mar 2012
This review is from: How to Write (Paperback)
We all have a decent novel - or at least short story - inside us, and this book covers a range of writing styles and formats, so will I am sure prove a vital resource. Also some useful tips on grammar, so you won't boldly lunge into writing without checking your grammar, and, punctuation, *

[I haven't finished the book yet...]

3.0 out of 5 stars flawed but useful, 5 Nov 2009
This review is from: How to Write (Paperback)
The major problem with this book is that about one third of it comprises a Style Guide, which turns out to be a very anal and preachy guide to loonie leftie PC language, which may be useful if your target audience is left wing press, but not applicable to the majority of writing. To be fair it does say 'the guardian' on the front, and it is unintentionally very funny in places, if quite worrying. Apart from that there is a lot of useful information broken down into the usual types of writing and skill components. In summary my advice would be to have a flick through before you buy, or choose one of the many better books available on this subject.

How to Write
How to Write by Philip Oltermann (Paperback - 6 Aug 2009)
6.29