4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect book for the bus!
I never read Mangan's column in The Guardian, I am more of a Tim Dowling fan and not mad on "Ooooo, isn't my life wacky?!" columns at the best of times, but I came to read this as a colleague was ranting and distraught that the column had disappeared (a brief hiatus as it has been promoted to a whole page at the back of the mag), and I am very pleased that I did...
Published on 3 Sept. 2009 by S.M. Gidley

1.0 out of 5 stars blob because i said so
i mean what does blob even mean its ridiculous jimi hendrix
wrong book sorry not why would i be i mean bums dont talk
Published on 17 Sept. 2012 by Mr. Matthew White

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect book for the bus!, 3 Sept. 2009
S.M. Gidley (Sidmouth, Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Family and Other Disasters (Paperback)

Mangan's take on life happily - or worryingly - corresponds with my own. I too am not particularly impressed with the modern world although thankfully my family was a bit freer with the cash when it mattered. She writes well and her years with her head in a book have clearly paid dividends with a use of language that indicates a love of English in all its shaggy dog glory. I don't think that they are as hilarious as the other reviewers here (that's where Tim Dowling comes in) but there are certainly some very funny parts and humour is, after all, a realm of very personal preferences.

The book is divided roughly into five sections including a final one on Mangan's take on television, something that would usually bore me to death but was actually really engaging and bang-on-the-money.

If you're a train or bus commuter this is also an ideal book for you. You can get through several columns in a journey and you'll be engaged enough for the tinny emissions from the iPod sporting idiot opposite not to disturb you.

Just one thing - there are only so many times you can use the word discombobulate, brilliant word though it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant prose, laugh out loud wit, 24 May 2009
Nick (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Family and Other Disasters (Paperback)
Her column was the first thing I turned to in the Guardian Weekend magazine and it had me laughing out loud, and reading her out loud, nearly every week.

Self-deprecating, wise beyond her years, bookwormy, Book Token promoting, modern nonsense popping, eccentric of family, married to a Toryboy...

If you've read her, you'll know to buy this now. If you haven't, you need to catch up - so buy this now.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh out loud, 3 Jun. 2009
J. Jefferies - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Family and Other Disasters (Paperback)
Thought the jacket was really appealing which is why I picked it up in the first place and then I was really pleased I did.

I don't read the guardian so the pieces were all new to me.

In the last 7 years there have only been 3 books that made me laugh out loud, embarrassingly so especially on the train!

Allison pearson

Peter Kay

Dawn French

And now I can add a 4th.

I love the bits with her father but the whole thing is just charming and funny and oh so true!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Joy!, 15 Jun. 2012
This review is from: My Family and Other Disasters (Paperback)
I really enjoy Lucy Mangan's column, so went for overload with the book. A collection of free-wheeling tales and interesting observations. So, (Slippers ON) last few pages, here I come...

4.0 out of 5 stars good read, 23 Jan. 2013
helenbells "bells" (Buckinghamshire U.K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Family and Other Disasters (Paperback)
but very different from reading a short extract in the Sat guardian ! very intensive humor but interesting opening to the book which leads the reader in .

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny and warm, 22 Jun. 2014
I love Lucy Mangan's writing and this one has all her best qualities. Irreverent sharpness and yet real affection for the suburban world she comes from.

4.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite Guardian collumists, 21 July 2013
I read Lucy every Saturday so am familiar with her family [I am sure they cannot be that bad]. Am still wondering how on earth she managed to marry a Tory?????

5.0 out of 5 stars So talented and funny, 13 July 2013
Fiona (Leeds, England.) - See all my reviews
Enjoyed this immensely - the columns about her family are particularly hilarious. She is both thoughtful and very amusing. Buy it!

4.0 out of 5 stars JUICY LUCY, 1 May 2013
B. Harding (London UK) - See all my reviews
If you have got this far, you probably know what Lucy Mangan is about. Hers is the page which most Guardian Magazine readers turn to first, to put them in a good mood for the rest of the weekend. It is not all just humour, because Mangan is a passionate soul, who cares about the things in modern society which she sees as important: she writes with wit, fire and brevity. These pieces of journalism can be read and re-read, and never fail to please.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Mighty Manganese in full flow, 8 Mar. 2013
Her hilarious, self-effacing but razor sharp views on modern life need no introduction to fans of her Guardian column. This collects many of her earlier pieces under the theme of her 'unique' family, a stoic bunch of old school working class Londoners who can "live off one egg and a tea bag for a week." Really enjoyed revisiting her early articulate agonies which have the benefit of being slightly less polished than her more recent columns (still brilliant).

My Family and Other Disasters
My Family and Other Disasters by Lucy Mangan (Paperback - 7 May 2009)