Format: Hardcover|Change

Since the first World Cup tournament in 1930 England have only won one (or for that matter, appeared in one final) and that was on home soil. This is a national disgrace and a total embarrassment. But instead of keeping quiet about it, the English highlight this failure by going on and on and on about the one time we did win it, back in 1966. Even now, there is a film out called 66; I somehow don't think the Italians will be bringing out their own version called 34,38,82,06. This is another book about that win.

In it the author describes his attempts to interview the ten surviving members (Bobby Moore passed away a few years ago) of the winning team to find out what as happened to them in the 40 years since. I say 'attempts' because three of them - Stiles, Hunt and Banks - refused to take part. After reading the finished book I can't say that I blame them. To call it a 'slim tome' would be overstating it. It is only 120 pages long, and that includes the many blank pages between chapters. In fact to call it a book is pushing it a bit - a booklet would perhaps be more accurate. It took me barely two hours to read it. If it were a series of newspaper articles they would be very enjoyable, but the material does not justify being turned into a book. I cannot help but feel as though the chance of producing a fine book as been lost. There as been a lot of heartache in the lifes of Englands team since 1966 and surely their stories could have been made into a much better book than this.