5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Cookery Book Ever!!!!!!!!!!! Not Trendy just Great Food, 27 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Good Housekeeping Step-by-Step Cook Book (Hardcover)
I was given a copy of this in 1983 when I got married & it's the one that all my family love - Full of colour illustrations & everything from basic "how to" ........Roast, Bake, Prepare Veg etc etc etc

OK so given the publishing date there's no reference to rocket or Jus (Thank Goodness!!!) But if you want reliable, classic recipes that your family will really eat this book fits the bill perfectly.

My younger son loves to cook & used to surprise me with a cooked dinner from recipes that he had discovered in this book, (usually with pretty good outcomes!!) :-) When he left for Uni I surprised him with a copy that I found here on Amazon & he uses it constantly to cook up great meals for his house mates & now his girlfriend. I've placed an order for a further copy for my niece's 18th birthday - well it was safer than have her pinch mine which she's been craving for ages!!

Altogether I can't praise this book highly enough, I'm considered to be a good cook but I still reach for it regularly to check on timings, quantities etc

If you can find a copy go for it, if you like to cook you'll love this

5.0 out of 5 stars An old friend, 3 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Good Housekeeping Step-by-Step Cook Book (Hardcover)
I was so delighted to find a copy of this book still available. Like many of the reviewers this was one of my first cookery books along with a Delia and a Marguerite Patter,( yes I am that old). I've had my copy for over 30 years and it looks it! Held together by every conceivable tape, battered and bruised.
It is a book that has everything, great pictures, straight forward instructions, step by step, equipment needed, conversion tables, place settings, napkin folding! I love the sauces section, thanks to GHK I have never bought packet sauces. Yes. by today's standards the recipes are lacking the whole array of spices, herbs etc. They are used conservatively but you can always add. Favorite dishes; Party Chicken and Prawns was one of my first dinner party dishes, I still do it when we have the odd bit of port left; the best Luxury Cheesecake ever; delicious Salmon Mousse; Lemon BBQ meatballs; Vegetable Rice Salad........enough! My new copy came very quickly at a wonderful price, I have revisited some old friends already. I have had to transfer all my jottings in the margins, which took ages, and with this copy I am going to be good and try only to use pencil! I can't recommend this book highly enough. Like many aspiring cooks I have MANY cookbooks, (too many), this one remains, the TOPS.

5.0 out of 5 stars This seller gives prompt service, 9 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Good Housekeeping Step-by-Step Cook Book (Hardcover)
Bought this to replace my other copy of the same book which my daughter managed to keep borrowing ,so let her keep eventually as she had it more than me! It's a very handy book to have, but this seller's price was silly to pass-up. Very good service from them, would use again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 4 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Good Housekeeping Step-by-Step Cook Book (Hardcover)
I used to have a copy of this book when my children were very yound in the 80's, but over the years I'd lost it. When I discovered that it was way out of date and print I thought i would never be able to replace it. Then I found this copy, in so much better condition than mine had been (due to having used it so much), I just had to have it. Thanks for the memories this book conjured as I read the recipes I'd used for my children and other family members.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love This Cookery Book!, 15 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Good Housekeeping Step-by-Step Cook Book (Hardcover)
My mum had one of these cookery books when I was a little girl and my mum always made the most delicious cakes, eclairs, scones, you name it she made it and all from this book! Unfortunately when I was 15 I lost my mum and my sister wanted her cookery book. Many years have gone by and I have always wanted to have this cookery book but didn't think they sold it as it was so old but to my surprise they do still do sell them! I can happily say I now own one of these cookery books. I love the step by step instructions with pictures, you can't go wrong with cooking anything if you have this! It is a must buy! You will not want any other book in your kitchen but this one! Highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent basic cookery book., 31 May 2013
This review is from: The Good Housekeeping Step-by-Step Cook Book (Hardcover)
I had this book as a Christmas present in 1980 as a 14 year old.
I loved it and have successfully cooked many recipes. Unfortunately over the years it became damaged and unreadable.I was delighted to find this book again .

5.0 out of 5 stars Golden oldie, 16 May 2013
This review is from: The Good Housekeeping Step-by-Step Cook Book (Hardcover)
This book was recommended to my wife and we were very surprised that we could still get it. First class service

5.0 out of 5 stars Found at last, 5 April 2013
This review is from: The Good Housekeeping Step-by-Step Cook Book (Hardcover)
This is a much loved and used book bought years ago. Now my son keeps asking how to cook...... and I know where he needs to go for all the answers. Well illustrated, perhaps a little dated by more recent editions but far easier to follow for new cooks. Received in excellent condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good housekeeping cookery book, 19 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Good Housekeeping Step-by-Step Cook Book (Hardcover)
In my opinion, the Good Housekeeping cookery books are up there with the best of the cook books. Very informative, good photos and instructions, lots of recipes and just and all-round good cookery book. I recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 29 Aug 2014
good book thank you

The Good Housekeeping Step-by-Step Cook Book
The Good Housekeeping Step-by-Step Cook Book by Good Housekeeping Institute (Hardcover - 13 Oct 1980)
Used & New from: £0.01