5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational
Published on 23 Jun 2005 by midge10

1.0 out of 5 stars A CHEAP hobby?
Published 14 months ago by trumbles mum

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 23 Jun 2005
Having struggled to understand the tatting technique shown in other books, this one gave me several alternatives, until I found one that suited my style. I have been inspired to work through the various practice techniques and the book shows interesting and up-to-date uses for tatted pieces, such as personalised notepaper, christmas decorations and christmas/gift cards. Rebecca Jones is an enthusiast who is eager to get people started in the craft and, through this book, encourages you to adapt finished pieces into a current style, rather than focusing on the doilies and edgings that may have been popular 20 years ago. It is a must buy for anyone who is new to, or revisiting the craft, or who wants some modern inspiration.

5.0 out of 5 stars A super teaching manual with a great collection of patterns!, 1 July 2005
This lovely book is an excellent buy for the beginner learning to make tatted lace as well as for the more experienced tatter wanting a good collection of small patterns. Ms Jones starts off with descriptions of six different methods of tatting, with the hope that if you don't understand one method you'll understand one of the others. Details are given of a range of different techniques including lock stitch, roll tatting, cluny tatting and others, however there are no instructions for split rings or self closing mock rings as these had not yet been popularised at the time the book was written in the 1980s.
There is a huge collection of patterns including tatted cross bookmarks, Christmas designs, tatted notepaper and an alphabet. Most of them are small pieces for beginners to enjoy, but the more experienced tatter will also enjoy this selection. One or two of the photographs don't quite match the diagrammatical instructions, but for the most part they are accurate.
Regarding the diagrams, they are hand drawn and clearly presented and apart from one of the crosses I worked quite a number of the pieces in the book myself, and had no problems.
Most people will enjoy this excellent collection of patterns and instructions and the book will remain a treasure on your bookshelf for many years to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential for the tatter!, 30 July 2002
This book is what I consider to be my tatter's Bible. Right from to the basic double stitch to the more complex Cluny Tatting, this is an excellent book that I keep returning to. There are enough patterns in it to get a person hooked on tatting, and I would recommend this book to anyone who is serious enough about this form of lacemaking.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book for new tatters, 23 Jan 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Complete Book of Tatting (Hardcover)
rebecca shows several ways how to make the tatting stitches. Also a lot of patterns are supplied, from flowers for greeting cards to baby booties (notice that the photo included isn't the result of the pattern provided) and an alphabeth and many more.

1.0 out of 5 stars A CHEAP hobby?, 18 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Complete Book of Tatting (Hardcover)
I so want to buy this book as it has been recommended to me. My grandmother left me her tatting shuttles years ago but I've never learned how to use them. But the blurb above says this is a cheap hobby, which it is if you know how to do it but not if you are expected to pay over 200 for the book!!!!! I do think Amazon should put a sensible cap on the price of books that are not actually antique.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 18 Aug 2014
Fab book

The Complete Book of Tatting
The Complete Book of Tatting by Rebecca Jones (Hardcover - 31 Dec 1985)
Used & New from: 10.90