5.0 out of 5 stars A helping hand for our feline friends, 27 April 2007
This review is from: Emotional Healing For Cats (Paperback)
Stefan Ball and Judy Howard are Trustees at Mount Vernon home of Dr Bach and his Bach Flower Remedies. They teach there and have both written books on how to use and understand the remedies. This book is a little different as instead of humans it concentrates on the character of cats, our sometimes mysterious companions. For more in depth knowledge of the remedies you should read Judy's Step by Step, or Stefan's Teach Yourself books, but this book stands alone if you just want to use them on your cats.

I am a Bach Practitioner, cat lover and owner and this book helped me to understand the nature of felines and apply the remedies to my own cats and those I encounter in my volunteer work with animal rescue centres. I have done feline behavior courses but I still found this book useful because it is an easy reference handbook, simple, cost effective and yet in depth about how the remedies work on cats, how to select them and when to use them. We often think, 'if only our pets could talk' - and this book shows us how to read their signals and understand what they are trying to tell us.

I am in no doubt at all that the remedies work on people and now that I know more about feline needs I am also getting amazing results with them. As anyone who has ever been owned by one will know cats are very sensitive intuitive beings and the Bach Remedies work on their emotions to keep them calm and happy when things change in their environment or when they have an illness.

Since reading this book I often refer back to it to help friends whose cats have a problem, and I have given this as a present to cat owners. My first copy is now so battered from being frequently thumbed through and loaned out that I may be buying a second copy soon!

This book would be useful to cat lovers everywhere who want to be able to communicate better with their cat and give them a helping hand when needed.

4.0 out of 5 stars if your cat is as crazy as mine, this might help, 6 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Emotional Healing For Cats (Paperback)
I have a cat who was aggressive from an early age, which made it very difficult to be affectionate towards him without getting scratched or bitten, and a hard time for my older female cat. He developed some strange behaviours like pulling his hair out and trying to nest in everything as time went on and after consulting a vet, i bought this book to see if I could find an alternative to conventional methods and medications in an attempt to calm him down and make him feel happier (and us). I had to read the book a couple of times to get it into my head but i followed the guidance, which includes information on the Bach Flower Remedies and how to use them. I also bought a book speciically about the Bach Flower Rememdies for animals and have found that the two together do provide a solution and a happier cat.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very useful and interesting book!, 31 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Emotional Healing For Cats (Paperback)
This book has been my first introduction into Bach flower remedies, and I have to say that I have found it very interesting and inspiring. I had often heard people mention Bach remedies but was unaware they could be used in animals as well as people, which I found fascinating as a trainee animal healing practitioner and a trainee cat behaviourist. I cannot personaly comment on the effectivness of the remedies on animals as of yet, but I will certainly be getting one one of my clients to act as a guinea-pig after reading this book!

Overall I found the book very informative and easy to read and definetly a good introduction into the world of Bach flower remedies for animals. The reason for 4 stars instead of 5 is although most of the veterinary information in the book is correct as an ex-veterinary nurse I had a couple of eek moments! When I read the author's recommendation for using frozen peas on an animal suffering from heat-stroke!! yes a bath of cold water to dip them in, but not an item that is below freezing! Not unless you want to send them straight from heat-stroke into shock!!

The comment about cats self regulating themselves in regards to food intake had pritty much the same effect!..... Who ever came up with that theory in first place (as I have heard it often) has alot to answer for!! Cats do not self regulate them selves EVER in terms of how much food they will eat if it is there for the taking, weather a feral cat or a pet cat. There is a very good reason for this, a cats willingness to eat food and hunt is not connected to hunger at all, the two stimuli belong to different areas of the brain completely. Eating is actually connected to a cats survival mechanism, so if the food is there a cat will eat it to ensure they survive another day, it has absoluetly nothing to do with hunger. But otherwise a good book, which I would recommend :)

Emotional Healing For Cats
Emotional Healing For Cats by Judy Howard (Paperback - 1 Sept. 2000)