5.0 out of 5 stars A BRILLIANT Book for anyone studying film & cinema, 12 Oct 2000
This review is from: The Cinema Book (Paperback)
I First picked up this book, on the first day of my Film Studies A Level course.I was curious so i took it out of the library, that was a month ago, now its helping me so much with my assignments & it truly is a book that all college & uni students studying film & cinema, should own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Anyone with an interest in cinema should own this book!, 22 Mar 2001
This review is from: The Cinema Book (Paperback)
This is a great book! I bought it as a student on a film course and found it a wealth of good clear foundation information. It's also got lots of leads about where to do more indepth research. Now two years later I still dip into the book regularly as it is a pleasure to read and look at. If you like cinema then you'll like this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!, 8 Dec 2003
This review is from: The Cinema Book (Paperback)
I'm a student whose in my final year at university and find that this book is a must have!!!It breaks everything down into bits that can be understood VERY easily (even the stuff that isn't really meant to be understood!). The book is listed as recommended reading in my course and every lecturer swears by it too! If your a film student then I would definately recommend this book as it has helped me in every assignment I have had!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good if a bit academic, 19 Nov 2007
This review is from: The Cinema Book (Paperback)
I would agree with the other reviewers that this is a model of its kind.
It's obviously aimed mainly at students on film courses but unlike a lot of those books can be read by 'general readers' (like me!) without any difficulty. Some of the sections appealed to me more than others (the more theoretical parts are surely of less interest to non-academics). But the best part about the book is that the sections you are interested in reference other books and resources on those topics. So it is well worth picking up as a guide to future exploration- especially if you can pick up a reduced copy .

Recommended if you're interested in cinema in general and curious about the more academic way of analysing films. But just because this is mainly for students it does have a bit of a textbook feel and should definitely not be confused with a Film Guide like Halliwells or Time Out!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book., 1 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Cinema Book (Paperback)
This book is good, the flaw is that the book is large in size. The content are well-written. I recommend it to film studies, cultural studies and literary studies students and laymen who are interested in these three criteria.

5.0 out of 5 stars The 'Go to' book for anyone seriously interested in cinema., 7 Sep 2012
M. Crossman (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cinema Book (Paperback)
I bought the second edition of this book when I heard it was recommended reading for anyone taking film studies at school.
Although I'm not taking such a course I do have a deep love for all cinema so I took a chance and bought it.
Weighing in at over 400 pages this is a beast of a book and extremely in depth.
It charts everything from the starts to all the major US studios, different narratives, technical aspects (lighting, sound, widescreen, etc...), German, British, Italian and French cinema, all the different genres of cinema (western, melodrama, science fiction, horror etc...), auteurs of cinema and much, much more.
This is not a book to just dip into. It's a comprehensive study and a must for anyone who enjoys more than 'just watching films'.

4.0 out of 5 stars For all film enthusiats, 6 Feb 2011
rose (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cinema Book (Paperback)
A beautiful book in many ways. the pictures that support the text are fantastic and the content of the book is incredibly interesting especially for anyone as interested in the history of film as myself. This book gives a great insight into the world of cinema and its history. A must read book for film students or for anyone with a true passion for film and cinema

4.0 out of 5 stars great condition, 2 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Cinema Book (Paperback)
The book came in a better condition than I expected considering that it is a library book. There were no highlights or notes in the book which made it feel new

5.0 out of 5 stars Cinema book, 17 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Cinema Book (Paperback)
Good value for money. Although it is quite an old edition, it is a very comprehensive study of cinema history.

The Cinema Book
The Cinema Book by Pam Cook (Paperback - 1 Sep 1999)
Used & New from: 4.99