on 16 September 2000
This book is not about the technical aspects of dressage, as it deals more with the philosphies of how to get the best performance from the horse.
The author draws on examples from other areas of life, such as martial arts to show how a holistic approach can improve your performance. I personally found many pearls of wisdom within the book which seem to be helping.
The only criticism I have is that the writing style is slightly pretentious, the book would have earned five stars otherwise.
on 28 February 2004
an amazing book by an amazing author.
He writes in a modest style, and explains what he did wrong, as well as what he did right. this is what I feel is missing from a lot of modern books on the subject.
the examples he gives, and the obvious passion for the horse displayed in his writing makes this book one of my favourites, it is one to buy, read and read again.
on 10 February 2012
As ever insightful. I am a massive fan of Paul Belasik. I have bought his books many times and always lend them to people who keep them :) So this is my third time buying and reading this book. What I particularly love is his humble willingness to show his personal frustrations with himself through his journeys into classical horsemanship. He threads together so many different paths on his road of learning. Kudos to you Paul Belasik! I wish there were more people like you!
on 22 August 2011
This book was recommended to me by a professional rider. It took me a while to get into it but once I had, it was useful to read - to evaluate and reflect on my own riding, and that of others far better than myself. Paul is a thoughtful and knowledgable rider with a lot of experience to share. You need to be prepared to be reflective on your own riding, at whatever level. I learned a lot from reading this book. It's not a book for you if you want quick tips and basic ideas explained, I think.
on 10 November 2006
Riding Towards the Light is not a how to book, but an account of some of Belasik's personal experiences during his riding career.

The stories of how he developed as a horseman are interesting and thought provoking and if I have one criticism it is that the book just isn't long enough - I want to know more!