5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, succinct treatment of God's love
Published on 11 May 2002 by Gontroppo

1.0 out of 5 stars Rather dry and boring
Unfortunately Carson has managed to write a dry, boring, academic book on what should be a lovely subject to consider. I can only think that it is because he is an academic and instinctively resorts to study of Greek words, which is a useful exercise but can make a book rather dry. Sorry, I found it disappointing and can't recommend it, no warmth or feeling in the book.
Published 1 month ago by Avid History Reader

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, succinct treatment of God's love, 11 May 2002
This review is from: The difficult doctrine of the love of God (Paperback)
This book has only 78 pages of text, but it is worth reading and re-reading. In it, Carson carefully categorises the Bible's message about God's love. He shows how the different strands fit together. He affirms God's love for all the world and his particular love for those he has chosen. He shows how John can tell us in his gospel that God loved the world, but tells us not to in his first letter!
He discusses the popular, but recent interpretation of the meaning of two Greek words used in John 21 in more detail than he did in his excellent, earlier book "Exegetical Fallacies." Since reading his argument, I have become convinced of his view that the two words do not have great differences in meaning in the New Testament (or in the Greek translation of the Old Testament).
At times, Carson's writing is not easy to read, but this book is one of his most lucid.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Balancing Grace and Law, 18 Mar. 2000
By A Customer
A thin book examining the different ways that the bible describes the love of God, Carson discusses some difficult but worthwhile material. Don't be fooled by the brevity of this book which is theologically dense and probably worth reading more than once.
Do you believe in God's grace and salvation by faith and sometimes find yourself in conflict with those who would emphasise the Christian obligation to obey God's laws? Do you believe in the justice of God, his righteousness and wrath and sometimes find yourself in conflict with those who emphasise salvation by faith, not of works? Carson describes six different ways that the bible describes God's love and shows how these seemingly different concepts can be held in productive "tension" within the Christian life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Show how deep it goes, 29 Oct. 2014
We often talk about love, but how many of us really know what love is? I for one had trouble understanding what love was or meant when I was little. I had most trouble with the fickleness of human love, i.e. love was not consistent. It really confused me.

As I did not know what it was, I felt I had no love in me or I was incapable to love. Then God found me and I opened the Bible and read about His love.

As recent as six months ago, I felt I found a solid ground in understanding agape - which was defined for me as the highest order of love which was not dependent on emotions, but of will, and God loved us in this way. I thought all kinds of love did need agape to underpin them in order to see us through good days and bad days, to maintain consistency in our love for others. If love depended only on emotions and our feelings, it would become whimsical and we saw people falling in love and out of love as natural as the tides coming in and out. If this was so, love then lacked wisdom, and other qualities that associated with love, such as faithfulness and fidelity. I thought it made sense.

Then I read this book by D Carson, who does not like compartmentalizing love by the Greek words which describe different kinds of love. In particular, he does not think that we should read too much into the distinction of agape against other forms of love or that we should understand God's love just by the distinction drawn from the words used. It seems to ask me to unlearn what I have learnt and restart again!!

If I understand correctly, I think Carson's main reservation about seeing God's love as agape is the implication of impassibility - the lack of emotions in God's love. He tries to tell us, God's love is not void of affection. I agree with him on this. But one thing I think is key to understanding God's love - that is, love is one essence of God and we cannot consider His love apart from His other essences. This I think is a common mistake. Carson emphasises God's love in the context of who He is. We can see the soundness of this approach when we look at God's love and God's wrath. While God's love is God's essence - i.e. God is love, God's wrath is only a functional quality of His holiness; if there is no sin, there will be no God's wrath, and God will still be God.

Through this book, it is my first time to gaze into the intra-trinitarian love, from which all love emanates. It is beautiful although not totally easily to grasp or picture due to the fact that it is beyond our experience. I have never thought of that and Carson brings to me that place to catch a glimpse of it. For that I am grateful. He helps me see how Christ's perfect obedience to His Father is actually His love for His Father. It was one of those moments when I knew I looked into something which was not from man.

Carson also spends quite a bit of time to talk about the scope of redemption, and summarises his position in that redemption is sufficient for all and effective for the elect. If we do not get this right, it does have bearing on our evangelistic zeal. I think his view is consistent with Christ's great commission for his disciples.

As I closed the book, I pondered upon how deep God love was - it never seemed possible to understand how deep it went. "And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord's holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge - that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God." (Ephesians 3:17-19) I don't think we can ever really quite grasp that.

As I closed the book, I also pondered upon how deep and profound the Bible was. It never ceases to amaze me with what is contained in it. The revelation embodied in it is endless and each time we open the Bible, something new pops out for us to challenge us, under the counsel of the Holy Spirit, who guides us to the truth. Each time when I see something out of this world, my heart is in awe and reverence. This little booklet of Carson's certainly has brought on something new for me to meditate, and guide me to see the glory of God. It is not always easy to read, and there were passages that I had to re-read. But it is certainly a book that should be re-read again and again as we meditate upon it because of its subject matter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book, 22 Dec. 2011
Carl Chambers (Brighton, England) - See all my reviews
There are five ways in which God's love is described in the Bible.
I used this book as the basis of some teaching in church recently, and found that even mature Christians were taught and challenged.
From providing deep reassurance to the Christian, to encouraging and motivating concern for those who don't yet know Jesus - this book is well worth the read.
Yet another excellent contribution to any Christian's library from Dr Carson.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rather dry and boring, 17 Feb. 2015

4.0 out of 5 stars good book, 27 Jan. 2013
R. Sims "child of Living God" (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
Carson is just the best.
loved his book.
Not an easy read but deep and good.
John Piper recommends this book as one of the best he has read concerning the love of God
It was taking from a lecture which can be heard on the Gospel Coalition site.

1.0 out of 5 stars Have a dictionary to hand!!!, 6 Mar. 2013
Seaside Sue (Sussex England) - See all my reviews
I was attracted by the topic covered as it is an important one for Christians. However, the text is so scholarly and uses so many long and obscure (at least to me!) words that I gave up reading it before the end - something that I assure you is very rare for me.

The difficult doctrine of the love of God
The difficult doctrine of the love of God by D. A. Carson (Paperback - 17 Mar. 2000)
Used & New from: £0.01