on 24 May 2013
There is a rumour that The Song of Solomon has more commentaries than any other Biblical book.

That may be so, but in my experience, as someone who holds a Theology degree but doesn't know Hebrew, as someone committed to a literal interpretation of the Song of Solomon before turning to allegorical/metaphorical interpretations, and as someone who doesn't have massive chunks of my week to study, this is a very useful commentary.

I decided to study the entire book of Song of Songs, inspired by the sermons of Tom Nelson from Denton Bible College, bit by bit. I devised myself a plan, 4-5 verses a day, which would mean a period of about 7 weeks to do the book justice.

I already owned Tom Gledhill's commentary (Bible Speaks Today), but on occasion I felt he became rather too loose in his interpretation. I wanted something more exegetical. I took guidance from Fee & Stuart in their excellent book, 'How to read the Bible for all its worth'. The Lloyd Carr commentary was recommended.

What I like about the commentary is its brevity, whilst not short-changing you on important explanations of the meanings of words. It takes the poems as read, not seeking to clumsily super-impose mystical interpretations on it.

Were I preparing a sermon I would find this commentary extremely helpful, it sparked my imagination at points, and alludes carefully to other parts of Scripture.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse