Format: PaperbackChange

on 10 February 2014
Before we go too far let me just say that I think Michael Wilcock's commentary on Revelation is up there with the very best I've read. However, that said I must admit I struggled with this one. It's not that there's anything particularly wrong with it, it's just that it seems a bit on the sparse side. That and the way that he groups material together doesn't make for a smooth reading and commentary on the text. This being the case I struggled when using this when working on the Christmas series from Luke at our Church to get much from it. Now I'm sure my problems with Wilcock's style will not bother some people at all when using it. But for me it was a struggle!
on 30 December 2015
I love this series, "The Bible Speaks Today," and have read all the New Testament Commentaries in the series. I have just started getting the commentaries on Kindle and am in the process of reading through The Message of Luke. This is a good commentary on Luke, but I am really disappointed with the massive number of errors in the Kindle edition. It is as if the Kindle edition has been put out before anybody has proof read it. It looks like a spell check was run, but there are many words spelled correctly, but they are obviously the wrong words in the wrong places. For example in the section Good News (7:1-8:21) it says, "Then is more to be said about each of these stories." Rather than, "There is more to be said...." A little later even the Bible itself is misquoted ".....For I tell you that many prophets and kings desired to set what you see....." (10:23-24) Of course it should be, "many prophets and kings desired to see what you see." These are two examples of mistakes I see every time I pick up the Kindle to read this commentary, which makes reading it very frustrating. The print copy is fine, but obviously something has gone very wrong in transferring it over to a Kindle format.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 April 2013
'The Bible speaks today' is a good series of commentaries. Probably more suited to Bible Study or preaching than casual reading, but still accessible enough to read. The Amazon price was really good.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 January 2016
This matches other books in the series. All very good and useful giving an insight into the gospels