5.0 out of 5 stars The best commentary I have found on Acts
Published 3 hours ago by Graham Harter

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good for the non academic - like me!
Published on 22 Mar. 2013 by Batman's Revenge

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Study Tool, 7 Jan. 2015
This review is from: The Message of Acts: To the Ends of the Earth: With Study Guide (The Bible Speaks Today) (Paperback)
Very well put together study by Stott with a lot of indepth insights into the book of Acts
This is a very good study tool as well as an enhancement to personal devotions.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best commentary I have found on Acts, 27 Mar. 2015
This is the best commentary I have found on Acts. The general preface disclaims from the Bible Speaks Today series the name of ‘commentaries,’ but in this case I would definitely describe it as an ‘application commentary’: in it the late Dr. Stott elucidates the text quite closely, as well as applying it to contemporary Christian life and faith.

I bought this to help me prepare a talk on Acts chapter 15 (‘the Council of Jerusalem’), a passage which raises a couple of difficult questions:

(a) Where do the two events recorded in Galatians 2:1-10 and 2:11-14 fit chronologically with the Council of Jerusalem?

(b) As a Christian today, what does one ‘do’ with the four Jewish proscriptions enjoined by James in Acts 15:20?

On the first question, Stott doesn’t weigh up all the possible solutions, but states simply his considered opinion, which is as likely a solution as any. His handling of the second question is superb: he gets right to the heart of the issue and argues convincingly how we should treat these proscriptions today. I have found that most other commentaries duck this important question.

This characterizes the book. This is not a particularly long commentary, and in general Stott does not waste words discussing the more improbable theories of earlier commentators, but deals with the key issues raised by each passage, succinctly and with profound good sense.

I would heartily recommend this to anybody wishing seriously to understand and apply the message of the Acts of the Apostles to their life and church today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 4 Jan. 2014
Many thanks for the book and very helpful in read about acts and learning what's in all about too 😊

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good for the non academic - like me!, 22 Mar. 2013
I have to say that I have been a fan of John Stott for many years but this commentary turned out to be too heavy for me. It seems old fashioned in its approach and not particularly relevant to the culture of today. I needed a commentary on Acts to use when leading a small house group attached to a very new church. My idea was to see how the early church behaved and what caused that church to grow exponentially from the outset. In short I needed many practical tips and advice.
I have no doubt that somewhere in John Stott's commentary I could have found what I was looking for, but certainly it was not easily accessible. Maybe I was put off by the use of a very old fashioned font, I don't know. The cover of the book is very attractive and inviting, but the appearance and nature of the content is not.
I returned the book for a full refund.