on 30 November 2001
This classic work by John Stott brings a scholarly theological approach to the central subject matter of the Christian faith - the death of Jesus Christ on the cross.
Stott, the Rector Emeritus of All Souls, London - takes the bible seriously and treats it throughout as a work inspired by God as opposed to a book of intersting philosophies. However Stott does not gloss over the differing interpretations of these words and events. The book provides a fascinating summary of the historical thinking on the subject of the cross as well as an exposition of the truth as it is found in the bible.
For someone not ready for such a scholarly work but wanting to read more on the subject I would suggest a book such as Meynell's "Cross-Examined", however for anyone who wants to think deeply on this important subject, Stott's book is a must.
on 13 September 2009
John Stott takes the reader on a biblically based journey exploring just about every question in relation to the cross that you can think of. Although it is 'strong meat' I found it easy to read, not heavy going.
After reading it my desire for Jesus has increased so much that my desires for sin have decreased, it has had a sanctifying effect on me. I am even more in awe of the God who loves us so much that he gave his one and only son so that we can be reconciled to himself.
This book is a must read for any christian.
on 12 October 1999
Stott gives a clear explanation of the biblical and historical basis of Christian belief concerning the crucifixion of Christ: this book is full of life and inspiration and neither stuffy nor remote from real issues. Excellent!
on 4 July 2008
John Stott manages to make a detailed study of the cross of Christ a joy to read. The book is deeply challenging but very uplifting. I read it after reading Steve Chalke's 'The lost message of Jesus'. While Steve's book made me feel good about myself but John's book made me feel good about God.
on 9 January 2016
Beautifully written and exquisitely read in the audio version. Only problem I had was the unnecessary ? vehement denial of transubstantiation which will also probably have put off about a billion other Catholics.
on 31 August 2011
'The Cross of Christ' (20th anniversary edition 2006) is without doubt the 'magnum opus'of the late John Stott. Here we have, at its best, an evangelical defence of the biblical teaching on penal substitution as well as every other facet of this great doctrine, biblically and historically.The timeless relevance of this book cannot be over-stated, especially in view of recent attempts to question the truth of the vicarious suffering of Christ on the Cross as the expression of the anger of God against sin (while, of course, displaying his mercy to the sinner). A bargain at twice the price !

Ray Bromham
on 9 August 2014
Having purchased the Kindle version I will be purchasing the hard copy. A wonderful confirmation of a love beyond anyone's full understanding. My reason for purchasing hard copy is ability to use as reference and sharing with other Christians
on 5 February 2013
The death of Jesus Christ is the central fact of the gospel and John Sott reall y does that theme full justice. I read this book many years ago and reading it again reignites my enthusiasm for the messge of the cross. I would certainly recommend this book to any who want to know the heart of the New Testament message.
on 14 June 2010
John Stott's book the Cross of Christ is a very deep study and analysis of the importance and significance of Christ's death. It is well written, however it's not for the faint of heart. It is a thick read, and at times it can be hard grasp the points John Stott tries to convey. I did however find very interesting in chapter 2 where the author writes of `why did Christ die' from which John Stott clarifies a common misconception within Christian circles; that is in reference to Christ on the cross, `He was not killed; he died' (p61). In other words, Jesus was a willing sacrifice. So often I have heard ministers and preachers say the expression, `Jesus was murdered upon a cross', but however is not true at all. Christ died by giving himself up; he was not taken against his will. In chapter 7, John Stott writes about the different arguments supporting the language of propitiation and that of expiation, and I found it an interesting read. On page 169, the author says `to propitiate somebody means to appease or pacify his anger' and the linguistic argument against this is that of expiation, `...or the removal of defilement' (p170). I had only ever come across the first of these, and it was interesting to read C.H Dodds interpretation.
on 7 April 2016
After so many years of believing I was challenged to find the basis of my belief of salvation and this book is first class. Not for the faint hearted but necessary for a growing understanding - wish I'd read it years back.