Format: Hardcover|Change

on 14 October 2012
I embarked on a course in Theology at my local Chuch and felt the need of a specialist dictionary. When I saw the illustration of this dictionary on the Amazon web-site I was thinking in terms of a Collins Little Gem format. However, in actuality the book is almost the size of a family Bible.
I have since dipped into it on many occasions and am overwhelmed by its coverage. It is wrong to call it a dictionary; an alphabetically ordered text book would be nearer the mark.
I am well pleased with The New Dictionary of Theology, my copy may have been produced several years ago in 1988 but how can such a work be considered out-of-date. The binding is sound, the condition is good, and it contains more words than I am likely to read at my rather advanced age.

Jeff Turner.
on 30 December 2011
Theology is a massive detailed and vitally important subject. This dictionary can be firmly relied upon - written by learned Christian men and following all sound biblical teaching and principles especially those relating to the backbone of serious Christian theology - Evangelical Reformed (Reformation and Puritan thinking) that has proven itself over 400 years - unlike modernism and current light hearted thinking in 'Liberal Churches' that has significantly failed to prove itself Biblically over past decades.
on 25 November 2014
Bought for a friend who's just started theological studies. He was delighted, so I'm sure it was a good purchase.
on 31 March 2016
Excellent resource with well written scholarly content.
on 8 January 2014
Recycled library book means I can own this very useful and informative starting point for my Theology assignments at very little expence!
on 25 June 2014
As a priest I'm interested in theology. Based on recommendations I went for this book. After getting into it and looking for, say, Catholic contributors, I found none at all. For example articles on Jesuit Theology, Cardinal Newman and Jesuit Karl Rahner each had what seemed to be protestant or evangelical authors. Why not Catholic for such entries? So it's not really simply a ' dictionary' but one which might be 'reformed' or some such as a guide to the reader. Other such publications like the Oxford Companion to the Bible and A New Dictionary of Christian Theology manage to comprise a wide variety of denominations in their work.
I'd like to say however, that much of what is presented is solid and scholarly. But a qualified title would help.