4.0 out of 5 stars Solid food, not milk for babies
Why four stars? Because the language is dense and demanding.
This is no reflection on Rev. Martyn Lloyd-Jones - when he delivered these sermons, it was simply good, educated English!

The content, however, is five-star gold. Read with attention and humility,
Published on 7 Sept. 2007 by D. B. Rose

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing kindle pricing :-(
This commentary on the Sermon on the Mount is an absolute classic and is "worth its weight in gold". I cannot recommend the book highly enough.

The reason for my two stars is in connection with the Kindle version. It is sickening to see such over-pricing on Kindle books. How disappointing to see IVP join the ranks of bad ethical practice in its publishing. Can...
Published 16 months ago by Skyeman

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid food, not milk for babies, 7 Sept. 2007
D. B. Rose (South Africa) - See all my reviews
Why four stars? Because the language is dense and demanding.

The content, however, is five-star gold. Read with attention and humility,
this is God's Word expounded by one who walks closely with Him. Lloyd-Jones is both intensely spiritual and firmly practical. He doesn't mince his words, nor his theology. Evangelical Christians will be delighted by his message, and messages; liberal theologians will be less comfortable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely, Phenomenally Brilliant. Blisteringly proctical, 31 July 2000
This review is from: Studies in the Sermon on the Mount (Paperback)
Awecome, Life Changing. First reading gave me a sense of a man who knew his God Second reading is changing my entire life experience by bringing me back to the father through the simple exposition of his word. Martin Lloyd Jones just takes it seriously and that has opened doors for me to see and understand my own relationship to God in a new light. The teaching is clear (if increadibly dense) and imesely proctical. The length of this book may put you off but don't let it. The density of the teaching may make it hard to get into it. Don't let it! This man brings you face to face with God.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sermon on the Mount, 19 July 2009
Neil Williams (North East England) - See all my reviews
Having part read the first edition 2 book version, I felt compelled to purchase my own copy. On further reading I find it still very relevant to the believer today as when the Lord originally shared these words with His disciples, and Lloyd-Jones wrote his sermons. Much misquoted and taken out of context LLoyd-Jones reminds us of the purpose of the Sermon and what the Lord expects of us as His disciples.

I would highly recommend this publication to anyone who desires to understand more of the Lord's teaching in the Sermon on the Mount.

5.0 out of 5 stars really excellent, 31 July 2011
D. Rose "Dossie" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Studies in the Sermon on the Mount (Paperback)
This book I purchased for my son (who is to be ordained as a minister); he already had Part 1 of these studies, loved them, but couldn't find where to buy Part 2. Now he has all the studies in one volume, and says he is so glad to have them - they help him in his own spiritual life, as well as helping him with his preparations for sermons.

5.0 out of 5 stars spiritual classic, 2 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Studies in the Sermon on the Mount (Paperback)
Anyone who wants to be true Christian and live a victoriously Christian life must read this book and other books about Martyn Lloyd-Jones. He was indeed a man of God and his faithfulness towards his Lord and the Holy Scripture widely counted in this sinful world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Take the Sermon on the Mount to a new level, 18 Jun. 1999
By A Customer
I was first introduced to this book by Bible teacher John MacArthur. He considered D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones as the author that has most influenced his life. After reading SSM I agree with MacArthur -- this is one of the most gifted and Spirit-led authors of the 21st century. This book will help you see the depth of the Beatitudes and much, much more. There are few more powerful Christian books than this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great insightful book into Jesus' teachings, 13 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Studies in the Sermon on the Mount (Paperback)
The best insightful book I have read about Jesus's sermons on the Mount. It goes into details of the meaning and the context of the Beatitudes. I have read the Beatitudes (pronounced as Be - attitudes) in Matthews several times before but never considered them in any death until I read this book.
The book introduces Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones as being from Westminster Chapel in London. However, my friend who lent me his book explained that Dr. Lloyd-Jones was the Assistant to The Royal Surgeon to King George VI before he left to became a vicar at a small chapel in a Welsh village. It wasn't long before his work helped him to move to Westminster Chapel. The book is based on short-hand recordings made by others of a series of sermons he had given on Beatitudes at Westminster Chapel. In that sense they have not been made with a book in view. That is why the chapters are based on each Beatitude, linked to the previous sermon but presented as if it was the most important one of all of them. His teaching style is very engaging and as you read through you come to love him as a great leader and begin to appreciate the sincerity of his belief. He is critical of the Roman Catholic Church on its deviations and changes from the true nature of teachings of Christ (in a pleasant way) and also of the Church of England's deteriorating standards and the abandonment of the true nature of Jesus's teachings. In fact, starting from the Archbishop, this book should be essential reading for all the bishops and vicars of the Church of England. Dr Lloyd-Jones is a true scholar who shows an enormous in-depth of understanding of the meanings of the bible. It is a pity that he died in 1981.

His analysis shows that Jesus recognized that we are simply human, cannot correct our ways simply on our own without the help of his grace. That is why these are be attitudes (How to be) and not punishments for Christians if and when they fail. We can only achieve these attitudes set for us to achieve through God's grace and not by our work. His explanations clearly show that Jesus's preaching was not about maximizing our gains on earth but our preparation towards after life. Let me give a simple example. Jesus's Beatitude ' Blessed are the poor, for theirs is the Kingdom of Heaven' has been used by many priests for attacking the rich but what I did not realize is that in Matthews 5:3 the Beatitude is 'Blessed are the poor in spirit...'. That means it is not about rich or poor in wealth or possessions. Both the rich and the poor cannot benefit if they are not poor in spirit! If you start reading this book you begin to develop conceptual clarity of Jesus's sermons and teachings. What insights he provides. Dr. Lloyd-Jones has written this book for Christians (in spirit, not in labels) and points out the demands on us to show how to live our lives on earth in the spirit of the Beatitudes. He analyzes even the order in which the "Lord's Prayer" has been formed, another pleasant shock for me. Beside his serious messages I enjoyed his emphasis in every sermon that the point he was talking about was the most important point, and if we were to forget the whole of the bible, we should not forget that point, only to say something similar in the next chapter. That is what happens when you try to create a book out a series of sermons. My understanding was so changed by this book that ordered several copies to give away to my friends. I recommend this book not only for the Church hierarchy and Christians but also to non-Christians to wish understand what Christianity is meant to be when it is not politicized, ritualized or formalized but presented in its original form.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding author and book, Thoughtless publishing., 15 July 2014
This book sets the standard for any serious student of The Sermon on the Mount and the name of the author alone is a greater recommendation than any review that I might write. If you are seriously committed to the study of this subject, there is not a more comprehensive exegesis available. If you pass this over because it looks too complicated, you are not a serious student of the scriptures.
However, I have less favourable comments regarding this recent edition of the book. I have the IVP edition and I had hoped to obtain a copy of the same edition for a friend.. In that I was unsuccessful, but after much searching I hoped that I had found an equivalent in this Eerdmans edition. Major disappointment. There are several significant differences:

1). A larger page size initially suggested possibly a larger font size. It is actually minimally smaller. All of the extra space has been put into the margins.
2). The number of pages has been reduced from 657 to 585, with no benefit to the reader
3). The paper in the IVP version is white, Eerdmans selected cream, which significantly reduces the contrast level since the print is at the same level on the grey-scale.

Items 1 and 3 have an adverse effect to the reader who is not younger than 45 years of age.
I would be very surprised if the majority of potential readers of this book are under 45, particularly in an age where reading is rapidly going out of fashion. (There are no buttons to press. No, a Kindle is not a book).
Do I assume that the entire upper management at Eerdmans is under 45? I think not, but it is disturbing that today's Christian (?) publishers appear to be driven solely by the lust for profit.

Publishers! If you really value your customers, USE THE EXTRA SPACE TO INCREASE THE FONT SIZE! As the saying goes, it isn't rocket science!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, but Amazon...?, 9 Oct. 2009
This is a great book, and I am delighted that amazon list it as being available for purchase from them, however I cannot understand why there are delays on all Christian titles, I have just done a check on all books by Martyn Lloyd Jones, and amazon either wants you to buy the book from an external seller, or there are lengthy delays in obtaining the book - basically none of these books are in stock, the same goes for titles from Ulf Ekman and many other good Christian authors... what gives?

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 Dec. 2014
Elizabeth S. Wells (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Studies in the Sermon on the Mount (Paperback)
A book to treasure of this great man's writing, with vast Scriptural knowledge, and deep spitiual insight.

Studies in the Sermon on the Mount
Studies in the Sermon on the Mount by D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones (Paperback - 31 Jan. 1977)