5.0 out of 5 stars Great
Great book, very useful, came on time, great photos and information about the places to visit. Will buy these guides again.
Published 15 months ago by J J Zaluski

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
I have bought Hudsons Guide for many years and always found it an excellent reference to heritage sites. Whilst the 2012 edition has a number of good articles relating particularly to the Diamond Jubilee, many sites have not been included this year and it can no longer be used as a comprehensive guide. I shall not be buying any future editions.
Published on 15 Feb 2012 by Margaret

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 15 Feb 2012
This review is from: Hudson's Historic Houses & Gardens, Castles and Heritage Sites 2012 (Hudsons Heritage) (Paperback)

2.0 out of 5 stars A Shadow of its Former Self, 12 Jan 2012
BEWARE all you Hudson's fans! The 2012 addition of Historic Houses and Gardens is not up to its normal standard. I have bought this fine book every other year, for many years, and have found it an invaluable addition to my annual National Trust, English Heritage and Historic Houses Association booklets. As there are several fine houses, worth visiting, that do not belong to any of these organizations where else to find out about them but in Hudson's - the architectural tome and bible for all people interested in visiting grand houses and elegant gardens?

I was excited when Hudson's was delivered to my door and soon began turning the pages reverentially. Then I looked at my own area and started to get suspicious because many of the inclusions of two years ago were - missing. I then noticed that the book looked slimmer so I nervously turned to the maps at the back only to find with horror that the map of the South West region looked like a pretty toothless beast. On even closer inspection I was alarmed to see that there were only 20 Devon properties listed in comparison to the 47 of two years ago. Cornwall had 17 as against 31 and, in 2010, Dorset showed 26 properties and this year there are a mere 18.

HUDSON'S -What is going on? It isn't enough to just look beautiful, which you still do. I know we are all turning to our electronic gadgets for a lot of our information, but an iphone doesn't inspire in the same way as all those gorgeous photos and helpful write ups. It's like having an informative but silent friend on the back seat of the car. It makes me WANT to visit all those lovely places tucked away in the British countryside. Now I will have to seriously consider ending our relationship. I have a nasty feeling that you are becoming all show and no go. What a shame. I will miss you.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, 15 April 2012
This used to be the indispensible companion for any UK holiday. My friends advised me to avoid this year's edition and I regret to say that they are absolutely correct. A number of houses and sights are missing, including some belonging to the National Trust. The volume is heavy; because, no doubt, of the material needed to give such glossy pictures. I am now using their 2009 version and phoning to check if the access times to the sights have changed. It is time that competition emerged in this area of publishing!

3.0 out of 5 stars Maddeningly Inconsistent and partial, 22 Oct 2012
Mr. P. D. Mears (St Albans, Herts England) - See all my reviews
I bought the guide for the first time in its 25th anniversary year. I wanted to supplement my English Heritage and National Trust Handbooks,so that I could obtain ideas of places to visit at a glance.
The negatives are the properties that are omitted: for example,in the London section,Chiswick House is included but Hogarth's House is not,despite being a stone's throw away. St Albans Abbey and its Roman Theatre aren't given a mention. Customers will doubtless find favourites omitted or lazy entries referring the reader to the properties websites ,rather than giving the reader the information.

The editorial choice of photographs is poor both in its inclusions and exclusions. For example,the photographs of Chatworth don't include The Cascades. Stourhead,one of the National Trust's most beautiful gardens doesn't even get one photograph,whilst Audley End's entry is illustrated with a photograph ,inter alia of scones! I now understand why reviewers were so disappointed by this edition. My advice is to buy a second hand old edition. The editors of this pallid edition must try harder and not be so complacent .

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 12 Jan 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Veru Usefull, 5 Jan 2013
A Very useful reference book to have in your collection. However, I usually only buy a copy every 5 years or so certaily not necessary every year unless you are a complete addict to visiting Historiv Houses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable help, 4 Jan 2013
D. I. G. Klee (Wien) - See all my reviews
We saw the Hudson's Guide at friends last year, and now we have our own copy to plan our journey to the British isles this year. The information is accurate and very intuitively organized.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a find!, 4 April 2012
I was given a copy of Hudsons 25th Anniversary Edition, and have found it a most useful reference book. We recently had a weeks holiday in Somerset. As National Trust members we got out their book first. On finding only one property to visit in the area, we turned to Hudsons. Here we found a much more extensive range as their guide shows National Trust Properties, Historic Houses, and English Heritage, as well as Private Houses open to the public and local museums.

As my husband is disabled we do need to know whether there is access for a wheelchair, also availablity of facilities is essential. In Hudsons all this information, as well as dates and times of opening, are easy to read, clear and consise.

This is a one book travelling guide for anyone who loves old houses and history. I would recommend it to all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, 6 Aug 2012
Saw this while visiting an English Heritage site. Found it Cheapest At Amazon! If you like visiting old Houses, Castles, stately homes & Gardens this is the book for you. Packed full of great pictures with brief description...they want you to visit after all!. Facilites symbols & opening times. Plus...Most important......Admission prices :-) beautifully produced on glossy paper. Its great for planning days out. Properties are listed by county so its easy to use. Goes way beyond the NT & EH handbooks. Great Value. nice coffee table book too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Must have for U.K. touring, 21 April 2012
M. C. Digby "Mark" (East Anglia) - See all my reviews
If you love travelling around the U.K. and visiting the best houses and gardens in the land, you must have the comprehensive Hudson's Historic Houses & Gardens, Castles and Heritage manual. Times open section avoid costly waste of time visits to places closed for the day you want to visit! Prices etc all there. Marvellous! Though not cheap, just value for money.

ARRAY(0xa2686984)