5.0 out of 5 stars My 4x Gt Grandfather was at Hougoumont
Published on 21 April 2013 by Trisha

3.0 out of 5 stars But how do you KNOW that?
So far as I know this is the only book that is specifically about Hougoumont, the chateau/farm on the western edge of the Waterloo battlefield. It is in the bibliography of pretty well every other modern work on the events of the 18th June 1815.

Published on 24 Mar. 2007 by Andrew Walker

3.0 out of 5 stars But how do you KNOW that?, 24 Mar. 2007
Andrew Walker "Andrew Walker" (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hougoumont: the Key to Victory in Waterloo (Battleground Europe) (Paperback)

The story is clearly explained and well-illustrated with maps, paintings and sketches. The downsides were as follows. First, I am unsure how original this material was when it was published but a lot of it was very familiar to me already from reading other books (especially Adkin's superb work on Waterloo). Second, the price of keeping the text moving is that there are very few references for the story that is told. While there are a few acknowledgements that it is uncertain when a particular event happened the tale is told with near certainty ("A happened, then B, then C"). From the sources I have read I can't see how this certainty van be justified. Third, the story is told almost entirely from the British point-of-view. It is not obvious that any French, Belgian or Dutch source or official reports had any influence. For example, did the Nassauers really retire when this book claims, leaving the British to do all the fighting? That's not what the Nassauers report says (quoted in Boulger's book).

Overall, while I liked the illustrations for this book I found it quite disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars My 4x Gt Grandfather was at Hougoumont, 21 April 2013
I have been working on my ancestry and I have very recently found out that my 4xgreat grandfather was one of the 3rd guards in Hougoumont, John Mason was born in 1795 in Bradley Staffordshire, he had enlisted with the third guards at the age of 18. I feel he had already seen a fair bit of action in other battles before he arrived at Hougoumont. From what I can gather at the moment, I believe John was in the orchard area of the Hougoumont farmhouse on June 18th 1815, and in the fierce battle to take the farmhouse, he was wounded in his right side and lost his left hand he was only 20 years old, but he survived and in 1818 he married Elizabeth in the village church of Bradley Staffordshire, and they had nine children together. This book gave me an excellent account of what it must have been like for John on that day in June in 1815!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 10 Oct. 2014
Excellent

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 21 May 2015
excellent book, covers all the facts.

Hougoumont: the Key to Victory in Waterloo (Battleground Europe)
Hougoumont: the Key to Victory in Waterloo (Battleground Europe) by Derek Saunders (Paperback - 27 July 1999)
Used & New from: £4.13