5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent purchase!
Published on 25 May 2003 by Steve

3.0 out of 5 stars What's missing?
I received the book within 24 hours but I am returning it immediately without reading it because there are numerous pages duplicated and numerous pages missing. Such a shame because it appears to meet my requirements for a forthcoming trip.
Quality control at the printers seems sadly lacking.
Published 3 months ago by Peter Hayhurst

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent purchase!, 25 May 2003
This review is from: Major and Mrs Holt's Battlefield Guide to the Somme (Paperback)
I have just returned from the Somme - this book is 'the Bible', an absolute must for visitng the region (you'll find most visitors and B&Bs have them!). It is well laid out and easy to follow, and covers everything you want to know. I would advise having a brief read before visting the area, as it is worth planning your trips in advance. I also like the way it gives a brief story behind the memorials (or important people mentioned). I have one small criticism, there are some errors in the text or the map, but you can sort them out between the text, the map and the pictures in the book!
I found the map very useful (it was the only map of the area I had with me) and from it I found everything I wanted to!!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Guide For First Time Visitors, 16 July 2002
E. A. Redfearn "eredfearn2" (Middlesbrough) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Having researched the Somme, 1916 for more than 30 years, I was interested in this guide book for obvious reasons. Overall, its a good effort for first time visitors. Good maps and pictures. It doesnt decribe the battle actions in great detail, it is not meant to. The routes are easy to follow, even some remote areas around the Ancre region are well covered. There is an abundance of material for those students who wish to know a lot more about the great battles of 1916, but you cannot go far wrong by beginning with this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't leave home without it!, 22 Feb 2007
Put quite simply, if you're visiting The Somme, please take this book with you. My visit was made all the better thanks to this little gem. It won't allow you to miss a thing and gives teriffic background on the places you'll visit.

While standing in Cemeteries containing over 5,000 graves you'll certainly shed a tear or two so take plenty of tissues! The whole Somme region is a huge burial ground and cemeteries and memorials appear from nowhere everywhere you look. When you come across one simply stop your car, take out this book, and you'll be able to read all about the memorial that stands before you.

My wife and I will certainly visit this very moving area of France again and this superb book will accompany us again as we tour The Somme's 'Silent Cities'.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Somme, 6 Mar 2010
BG "Billyboy" (Suffolk England) - See all my reviews
I have visited The Somme on several organised tours but I am now planning one with relations. This book has proved really helpful and provides all the information I have needed to plan our trip. I found the suggested tours within the book have given me a basis upon which I have made up tours of our own. I have used the book in conjunction with various web sites when planning and I cannot recommend it enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars An marvellously informative guide to the Somme., 9 Sep 2000
By A Customer
Major and Mrs Holt's Battlefield Guide to the Somme was indispensable on our recent visit. The colour map made navigating from site to site very precise indeed and ensured that no point of interest was missed. The many colour photographs of the major monuments made the finding and identification of locations easy and the brief history provided in the guide ensured that all the main points of the battle could be appreciated. The guide was wonderfully detailed, giving locations of car parks, gift shops and a wonderful local tea room!.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must-have guide, 7 Jun 2009
bookworm (redhill, england) - See all my reviews
The best guide there is to the Somme battlefields and memorials. If you're thinking of visiting the area, don't leave home without it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Guide to the Somme, 26 April 2010
I have finally persuaded my husband to spend part of our summer holiday visiting the Somme battlefields. In the past we have been to Ypres and Vimy Ridge, but I did my own research to enable us to find appropriate places to visit. This time I have decided to use the acclaimed books written by the Holts. The book is perfect for our needs - it gives good background information without overwhelming the reader. Photographs and suggested routes ensure we will get a true feel for the area.
Thank you, Major and Mrs Holt and thank you Amazon for your speedy delivery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Informative companion, 18 Mar 2010
Allan Watson - See all my reviews
Planning a trip to France in May and decided that i wanted to visit WW1 battlefields. After searching Amazon i came across this book. Having read it I now feel that i can visit the battlefields and see most of what there is to see and the important parts of the campaign.
It is packed with usefull information such as routes to follow, places to visit, important points of reference. A lot of research has gone into this book and it is supplemented with a very usefull and detailed map.
An excellent buy at a good price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Holts Somme Guide, 22 May 2010
Michael Geen "mikey062" (Surrey UK) - See all my reviews
Having been to the area once and not having the guide we missed a lot again. Having seen the Holts Ypres Guide, bought this in advance for another trip. Having perused the content and map, I know this book will be invaluable for our next trip.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant, 14 July 2014
R. Mills "Ron Mills" (Leeds, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Easily the best book I have ever bought for my Kindle, although it is even better on my iPad ( the many photos are in colour and bigger) This book contains everything a visitor to the Somme needs to know and more. Even if you're not going it's a fascinating read. An absolute bargain for £4.32.

Major and Mrs Holt's Battlefield Guide to the Somme
Major and Mrs Holt's Battlefield Guide to the Somme by Valmai Holt (Paperback - 25 April 2008)