1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for anyone interested in Dark Age History, 29 Dec 2009
Herbie Green "Herbs" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Arthurian Period Sources: Nennius: Nennius v. 8 (History from the sources) (Hardcover)
When I was young virtually all history was classically oriented, and so the 'Dark Ages' were written off as a period of cultural dirth. This might have been the very reason why a teenager like myself at the time became interested in this period. At school I had gone down the science route and given up history (classical civilization, modern politics and the world wars!) as soon as possible. At home I read Morte d'Arthur, got a copy of John Morris's 'the Age of Arthur' and built my dark age library from there. Avidly collecting books and reading all I could on the period. More recently historical study has become more enlightened, and the dark Ages shown to be a magnificent time, when illuminated manuscripts were created, the Irish and British kept Classical manuscripts and languages alive while Europe descended into post Roman debauchery, the very same that until recently had outshone the vernacular writings. Monasteries produced writers like Nennius, Bede, Geoffrey of Monmouth, and many many more, who copied the old libraries, made fantastic versions of the bible, but also produced new works in Latin and their own languages. It is to these I have more recently myself turned, having learnt all I can from the modern histories of the Dark Ages, a framework to place the happenings I now read about in the original source material from the so called 'Dark Ages'. Now that books like this are available they shine a light on the formative years of our culture, history, myths and legends. We are all familiar with the Disney treatment of our greatest hero Arthur, but reading Nennius and the like, shows us the real background to these myths and legends. Read this, then get the equivalent for Gildas, the Mabinogion, Beowulf and so on - we need to be better educated in this country to our own great heritage - too many know more about US Cowboys, Greek Gods, Roman Generals, the Cathars and Templars - all very interesting and not to be missed - but please take some time to wade in our own rich culture!

Arthurian Period Sources: Nennius: Nennius v. 8 (History from the sources)
11.06