5.0 out of 5 stars It grows on 'ya
I got the book with high expectations, took the assessment, got my hopes dashed because I didn't agree with the results, then began a long climb back.... As a committed Marcus Buckingham mentoree, I was less easily less impressed with this book than the others.

Published on 4 Mar. 2012 by Eddo

1.0 out of 5 stars Totally disappointed
Published on 13 Mar. 2012 by Phoebe

1.0 out of 5 stars Totally disappointed, 13 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Standout (International Edition): The Groundbreaking New Strengths Assessment from the Leader of the Strengths Revolution (Paperback)
I have been a big fan of Buckingham's previous books and have been an advocate of his Strengths series (to the extent that I bought loads to give out as gifts!). Out of curiosity I bought this book to try out the new assessment tool. While I was totally blown away by the insightful revelation from the StrenghsFinder Profile (and was able to subsequently followed through to make a difference by developing my top strengths), disappointingly I was NOT able to relate to the outcome of my Standout assessment at all! His previous books on how to leverage outcome from the StrengthsFinder was MUCH more useful so if you are new to his books, get the 'Now, Discover Your Strengths' instead!

5.0 out of 5 stars It grows on 'ya, 4 Mar. 2012

When a friend encouraged me to look deeper into what it was the book is describing and the assessment is measuring, I was skeptical and discouraged. I have since had a complete turnaround. The 9 options represent one's talents and tendencies at a deeper level than does the StrengthsFinder assessment, which I'm also deeply indebted to, and the more time I spend with the book, the more impressed I become. While the concepts are not a quick study, these 9 possibilities for one's "edge" draw from a deeper pool.

For those who really want to increase understanding of the differences in people, this book is a valuable, valuable tool. Those who want a better, richer context for understanding what it is that makes them valuable, I recommend making the book your main resource for learning for the next month or so. Your StrengthsFinder strengths will take on new dimension within this StandOut context.

5.0 out of 5 stars Approach with an open mind, 13 Jun. 2012
I read the book before I did the online questionnaire and thought I had my type nailed. In fact, after doing the questionnaire, my top type was the last one I had considered! I was initially sceptical but humbled myself to the system and found that it, and my number two type, were pretty much spot on. So, persevere and allow this book to speak to you despite any reservations you might have. The world is pretty rubbish at telling us who we are - at least Marcus Buckingham is trying to do the right thing by us. Well worth investing in. It's a quick read but feeds you with stuff to mull over for hours.

1.0 out of 5 stars Overpromise and underdeliver, 9 Feb. 2012
Maybe my expectations were just too high but after reading some of the PR written on it and after having had the book recommended by a business friend whom I trust the disappointment is significant.

On the positive, if you have never taken any tests and have little self knowledge this may give you the answers you are looking for. If you do not know how to express your person in an interview or unexperienced in team work and management it may give you some hints. But do not expect too much: the hints that are relevant to you fit easily onto 2 pages.

On the negative, what a waste of time and money.

5.0 out of 5 stars StandOut, 16 Feb. 2012
Rolf Dobelli "getAbstract" (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
The good news is that management consultant Marcus Buckingham, a perennial best-selling author, offers a very useful pep talk about putting your best foot forward. He urges readers to identify and maximize their strengths to move ahead in their careers. His profiles of various roles exemplifying personal strength provide great information that you can use to make a more meaningful impact at work and to live more fully. Alas, the bad news - or at least the commercial news - is that the author says you need help identifying your strengths, and for that, you need to buy the book to get the one-time code for taking a "strengths profiles" quiz on his website. Once you learn your category with this assessment, you can use more of the book's information. Welcome to the innovative world of interactive media. Of course, you can try to figure out your strong points yourself, but Buckingham cautions, "It is hard to see your own uniqueness. Your strengths are a part of you whether you're conscious of them or not. And because they're so woven into the fabric of who you are, they can actually be quite difficult to pinpoint." With or without the code, getAbstract believes you'll find real value in this common sense text if you accept that the strengths you think you have may not match those the author would cite.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Assessment, 31 Jan. 2012
This is the first Marcus Buckingham book I have read and I purchased it to do the assessment, which is what this book is about in my view. It may cover ground he has previously published (as the previous reviewer pointed out) but to take this book as an assessment of your strengths is a very useful tool. I felt the assessment was uncannily true in most areas and have gained a lot from the report.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 20 Sept. 2011
I have been a fan of Marcus Buckingham and all pioneers of working to strengths. Sadly I was disappointed in this particular book because I expected something new, given the title and branding. I found the 9 profiles to be replicas of the previously released 'Find Your Strongest Life' with a lot of text copied word for word. Even replicated questions in the diagnostic.
Given that the majority of the book is given over to descriptors of the profiles this was especially disappointing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Supports strengths thinking, 23 April 2013
I have a mini library of strengths-based reference books, as this forms a main underpinning for the various types of work I do. This text adds a further dimension to Buckingham's previous work, but for anyone coming new to strengths-thinking I would recommend buying his earlier work first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 28 Oct. 2014
Excellent programme. Highly recommended.