Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 November 2010
In view of the faster pace of life these days, it is often difficult to find the time to be alone with God, despite His desire for a 24/7 very personal relationship with each of us as individuals. This book, Living Life in the Zone: a spiritual game plan, is designed to re-dress this problem. In particular, its target audience is men, who are currently an under-represented group in Churches today.

It encompasses many of the features that people have come to expect of devotional literature of this type. I found that the `thought for the day' provided a focus at the beginning of the study and was easy to remember. Despite this, I struggled to relate to the sports references, even though I can appreciate the way in which this would be a useful way of illustrating spiritual matters. Some of the text used American expressions and there were occasions when I found this difficult to understand.

Nevertheless, it is firmly rooted in scripture and the personal examples illustrate how I can apply its lessons to my own life. The `praises and concerns section' at the end of each day's study was especially useful in this regard.
Overall, I would recommend this book to anyone who is looking for a spiritual devotion that is a little bit different to the others that are currently available.
VINE VOICEon 5 March 2010
Rote & Pettigrew author, A 40-Day Spiritual Gameplan for Men which hits all the main themes for men today:- Living Life in the Zone contains many of the basic elements we have come to expect from 40 day devotionals books, like short easy to read chapters, real life examples, though provoking questions, and daily homework. While it could get lost in among other devotional books I believe the strong content directed towards men make this book a must read. Living In the Zone deals with all of the stressful things in a man's life and puts them in perspective by seeing how all of these issue relate to our personal walk with God.

My favourite parts of the book were Day 30 "Living Up to Your Potential" and Day 36 "Fighting the Battle." They were real encouragements to me. Another aspect of the book is that not only does it talk about what a godly man looks like, but also what it takes to become that man. Hopefully, you find this devotional as thought provoking and inspiring as I did, despite the across-the-pond translations needed at times! Great for all men!