4.0 out of 5 stars Heaven is for Real
This e-book was provided to me for free courtesy of the BookSneeze programme.

Published on 20 Jan 2012 by The Art of Steering

2.0 out of 5 stars not the best
HEAVEN IS ALL AROUND US is a much better story a much better account of Heaven available on amazon books
Published 2 months ago by PHILIP GRIMMER

4.0 out of 5 stars Heaven is for Real, 20 Jan 2012
This review is from: Heaven Is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back (Paperback)
This e-book was provided to me for free courtesy of the BookSneeze programme.

I have to say that I wasn't sure whether I was going to like Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo with Lynn Vincent. It's the story of Burpo's son's visions of heaven in the context of a life-threatening episode of appendicitis when he was only four years old. And I wasn't sure I was going to like it because unfortunately this genre tends to attract rather colourful stories of unlikely visions, many of which can't be substantiated in Scripture or which seem to have led to pride or even subtle twisting of faith in the writer.

So it was to my great delight to find that this book is, in some ways, different. Burpo, a pastor, tells how the story of his son's visions came out only over time and in small parts. As he and his wife began to realise that something had happened to their son, they began to ask him questions about the experience; and so it is that we have in this book the details of some of what Colton Burpo saw. Most importantly for me, Todd Burpo - as a pastor who loves his Bible - was keen to test how the things his son claimed to have seen measured up with Scripture and would even try to trick his son with questions to see whether his son would affirm things about his experience of heaven which the Scriptures expressly deny!

As someone who has a healthy - even extreme? - tendency towards cynicism regarding this genre, I found this book incredibly faith-enhancing in fact. There were a handful of things which Colton claims to have seen that I don't think can be substantiated from Scriptural accounts of heaven and which sound a little far-fetched. But then...nor does Scripture expressly deny those things either! It is because of this fact that I would not give this book to a new believer unless I was prepared to sit with them and do a detailed Bible study to help them test its content; I still maintain that believers are to test carefully against Scripture anything which purports to be revelation and worry that some new believers might get very excited about this book and not necessarily follow on to reading the Scriptural accounts of heaven.

Yet, truth be told, what this book did for me was to reignite an excitement. Excitement that heaven - this dimension of reality so wonderful that you'd think it could only belong in a fairytale - heaven is for real! Excitement that actually the life of faith is all about Jesus, how much he loves us and how he longs for us to enter into relationship with him. And, as I was brought to a place of childlike wonder and love for Jesus, I remembered his own words that the kingdom of heaven was open to those who would come as children. Todd Burpo's book invited me to come as a child and marvel at all the wonders which will be our inheritance. If you are longing to stand and stare at the joys of heaven, the face of Jesus, this book might just reignite your heart for Jesus, your longing for heaven and your passion for the Scriptures.

4.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable and inspiring, 24 Mar 2014
Retold by his father, "Heaven is for Real" is the true story of Colton Burpo’s trip to heaven and back. When he was four, Colton had to undergo an emergency appendectomy. Overjoyed at his miraculous survival, his family never could have expected what emerged in the following months. They were astounded at what Colton recalled from his hospital stay: angels singing to him, sitting in Jesus’ lap, seeing his great-grandfather whom he’d never met and meeting the sister he never knew he had because his mother miscarried before he was born.

Bonus material in this special movie edition of "Heaven is for Real" includes a new introduction, photos from the movie set, updates from Colton and his father Todd on recent events, as well as interviews with the movie’s filmmakers and actors. The movie, starring Greg Kinnear as Todd Burpo, premieres on 16th April. You can watch the trailer here: [...]

I had this book on my radar from the time it was first published but for some reason never got round to reading it. I am so glad I didn’t pass up the chance to read the newly released movie edition of "Heaven is for Real". It is a truly remarkable and inspiring story. I have no doubt that it is a true story. Colton’s father Todd is a pastor. He was as surprised as anyone would be when his son began recalling his experiences of heaven. Colton knew things that no four-year-old would know. Todd began testing his son’s memories of heaven against the Bible and found that his Colton’s recollections held up to Biblical truths.

"Heaven is for Real" will forever change the way you think of eternity. If you have lost a loved one, you will find comfort in Colton’s experiences. Do not pass up the chance to read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Questions & answers regarding heaven, death and the after life, 28 April 2012
Page Hartley (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have to say I was pretty sceptical about this book "heaven is for real" by Todd Burpo and I have read critiscm regarding this book before I opened the first page which probably did not help. When I started to read this book,I was overwhelmed by the accounts of this four year old's visit to heaven and by what he had encountered there in such a short space of time. This book answers questions regarding heaven, death and the after-life in short clear answers from a little boy who gives his account of his visit over a period of a few years.

I am a new Christian and I have found this book very difficult to put down and have read it over a couple of days and I just found it so enthralling and I have found it hard to put this book down. I would recommend this book to anyone and even to an unbelievers eyes, this book would be very difficult not to love let alone find it hard to question Jesus etc.

I am so looking forward to heaven and to seeing Jesus and God but I am so looking forward to experiencing a closer walk with Jesus in my own life whilst I am here on this earth.

This is a book through a child's eyes and an account that is so accurate and true that who could find this hard not to believe and yes, scripture backs up this little boy's experiences whilst in hospital. Whether this little boy actually died, we dont really know.

If you havent read this book, I would highly recommend it and trust me this will bring you close to Jesus, God and The Holy Spirit without a shadow of a doubt.

5.0 out of 5 stars The eye opener, 25 April 2014
This book, makes me want know more. It clarifies some question that needed answers. I read it and the Holy Spirit tells me is TURE. Knowing that I worship a true living God. Who knows everything and Never turns His Back on us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heaven what it means, 4 April 2014
A story that makes one think carefully about eternal life after death and how a Christian relates through reading the bible

5.0 out of 5 stars Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo, 4 Oct 2011
This is MUST read!! I read it in two hours, so it's an easy read. It's a true story of a three year old boy who has an out of body experience and goes to heaven and back. Absolutely astounding, and essential reading for anyone who is curious about heaven. He's three so he says what he sees. Definitely recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heaven is for real, 27 Jun 2014
Beautiful heartfelt heavenly book I couldn't leave it until I finished it GREAT BOOK! I got great comfort from it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too cut and dry, 11 May 2014
B A Collins (Macclesfield, Cheshire, GB) - See all my reviews
To me this book read like a tale written to get a message across, not a true narrative. When something amazing happens it's normal to ask most of the questions in one go, gently of course when talking to a child. The drip-feed of information that fits so neatly into relevant events reads more like James Redfield (great books) than a non-fictional account. There are many ancient sources that give very different perspectives to the books and gospels included in The Bible. Whilst we cannot question the author's honesty, it would be so very sad to believe that the many millions of truly good people who have existed throughout earth's history were not good enough for heaven because they did not have Jesus in their hearts.

2.0 out of 5 stars not the best, 26 April 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars GRIPPING!, 13 April 2014
Gripping book! Bought it for others. It's a little boys account of going to heaven and his wise godly parents who gradually drew that story from him. How can you doubt such a small child as they don't have the adult skills of manipulation. Buy it and be blessed by it.

7.81