Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 July 2002
It is now one year since I read this book, but its insights still spring to mind. Lucado reminds the world of how much God loves us, and also how legalism, finger-pointing as well as immorality can keep us from that love. The book is a wise reading of the book of Romans, taking it all in context rather than drawing out individual verses to prove a certain point. Lucado's point is the incredible nature of grace and how easily we have reduced it to something less than God's best... read and be reminded.
on 3 November 2003
A wonderful exploration of the meaning of grace; focusing upon Paul's letter to the Romans. This book has completely changed my understanding of grace and what 'being saved by grace' actually means. Lucado explains in a very easy to follow style how God's grace is sufficient for whatever you might go through in life and how nothing can seperate us from his love.
on 7 February 2000
I thought I knew a lot about what it meant to be a Christian but this book changed my perspective on quite a few issues and reminded me of the love of God. I've been telling all my friends about it since I read it.
on 13 August 1999
I have gotten all of Mr Lucado's books and thoroughly love each of them. Most of them I read more than once or twice. The only problem I have with his books is this -- just about the time I am really enjoying the book and am wrapped up in it completely -- it ends. His books could be much, much longer -- and I would not complain one bit!
on 10 May 1998
As a christian, I lived a life of chains to Christ.Then I read Maxs' book and I found that a life with Christ is about breaking chains . Since reading his book I've set out on a new and wonderful journey seeking my God and Father,a God who has been eagerly seeking me .Maxs' insite into stories from the bible have been such a blessing to me in my renewed search for God,Jesus, and His Spirit of Truth. Thanks be to God and Thanks Max for a wonderful book.
on 10 November 1997
Max disects one of the most powerful and incredible books of The Bible - Romans. He reveals the awesome truths contained in Romans about the free gift of grace focusing on the fact that it's FREE AND AVAILABLE TO EVERYONE! An amazing study guide for individuals or bible study groups for getting "back to basics." A MUST BUY for ALL Christians & Non-christians who are curious about what God has to offer.
on 12 September 1998
Our society is geared toward the concept of working for what we get-- a "get what you pay for" mentality. That's one of the main reasons the grace of God is so difficult to accept. Max does a nice job of exploring three of the major foes of a salvation purely obtained by grace. The "hedonist" feels no need for God, being content to focus on meeting physical desires. The "judgementalist" feels his/her role in life is to keep others on the straight and narrow. He/she justifies these actions be assuming to be God's "watchdog." The "legalist" is on a useless pursuit of attempting to earn God's favor by working harder and following a stringent set of human imposed rules. Max contrasts these perversions of God's grace with the ideal: the "grace driven Christian." He uses timely illustrations to turn rather vague, obscure truths of scripture into useful bits of wisdom we can use to positively impact our daily lives.
on 4 June 1999
Max Lucado shatters denominational lines in this simple, honest, examination of God's grace. Those aversive to his religious denomination (not to be revealed by this writer) and the use of other than KJV translations should lay aside biases and read the profoundly satisfyng perspective of grace that Lucado shares. Those in bondage to the weaknesses of this sinful failing flesh should read this book and find peace "In The Grip of Grace." Humanism and self-righteousness fall in the pathway of Lucado's presentation of biblical logic and apologetics. Individuals of any and all faiths, or especially those with no failth should read and be enlightened. To miss this is to miss a blessing. This book may the best explanation of grace to adorn the printed page this century. -Christian school teacher, USA
on 11 November 1997
Everyday situations that were used to illustrate one moment that changed not only man's history but his eternity as well -- Max Lucado's description of the grace of God was so clear in this book as he uses earthly things to explain heavenly ones. This is one book every Christian should read to be reminded that we cannot really fall beyond His love.
on 9 April 1997
Using the book of Romans, Lucado illustrates that in spite of our sinful nature, God has always loved us and always will. It is our unwillingness to believe the free gift of salvation and grace that is truly incredible.
No matter how badly we beat ourselves up or however unforgiving we are of ourselves, God will recieve us with loving, open arms.
A must read for the saved and un-saved.