Shop now Shop now Shop now  Up to 50% Off Fashion  Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 13 September 2009
Fearless is extremely relevant for these times as it seeks to address the concept of fear and its many manifestations in life. This book addresses some of the common fears one might face and upon pinpointing these seeks to apply scriptural principles in order that one might fear less. Max Lucado pinpoints areas of fear that we all cross and through stories and scripture seeks to encourage the reader to live a life of faith, not fear.

It's not often that a book comes along that seems so timely, that makes you laugh, cry and think to the level that you make life changing choices. For me Fearless was such a book. Lucado's style is easy to read and very applicable to everyday life. Each chapter is like a short sermon with anecdotes and stories culminating in a lesson from scripture. This is a book I have and will continue to recommend to others as it has really made an impact on how I think about fear in my life. One of the greatest parts of this book is that I put it down thinking "Why on earth do I fear"

You may know your fear, you may not, but, I am convinced that everyone will take something away from this book to help enhance their faith and take steps to overcome their fears, a brilliant book!
on 31 January 2011
Engaging, interesting and very well written.

Max opens door you might like to take a walk through and explore. Superbly written. It's a treat to read whether you are (or aren't) a Christian.

Full of wisdom and humanity. Unlike many Christian writers, Max Lucado offers food for thought, no guilt trip, no surreptitious sales pitch, no wholier than though nonsense.

Reading the book, Max comes accros as one of those unusual breed of Christians you'd probably enjoy introducing to your friends.

Recommended
on 20 June 2015
What is the most common thing that Jesus said to his disciples? The gospels list some 125 Christ issued imperatives, explains Max Lucado. Of these 21 urge this followers "Don't be afraid". The next most common command, to love God and love our neighbours, is given 8 times. So the Lord realised that by nearly 3 times the biggest problem for his disciples was fear. Surely the same for us? Fear stalks us everywhere. Fear of failure, fear for our children, fear for our world. And most terrible of all, fear of death.

The book in stylistic terms is an unusual one. Imagine a rich organic steak from the finest farm (with apologies to vegetarians). Then cover it with a sauce which is slightly strange, in places almost inedible, in other places spicy and adding some piquancy. The "steak" is the word of God which Lucado serves beautifully. The sauce which will taste strange to people from the rest of the world is Lucado's own family history mixed with lots and lots of American cultural references which may bemuse the non American. But the steak is worth it and the sauce though for us non Americans will taste unusual has a certain acquired taste.

Lucado starts with the story of Jesus in the storm. Jesus deliberately and with foreknowledge goes to sleep while huge storm threatens to sink the boat. The storm arises out of nothing. The disciples immediately doubt Gods character. Fear as Lucado points out turns us into control freaks. He is surely right to say that fear is a perceived loss of control. When there is fear like the disciples - who rudely say to Jesus "Don't you care if we drown?" - we doubt Gods character. But in fact God meets us most of all in the storms of life. We expect to find Jesus, points out Lucado, "in peaceful hymns or quiet retreats...in meditation...but we never expect to meet him in a storm. But it is in storms that he does his finest work for in storms he has our attention."

Lucado looks at what we should do to control our fear. Prayer is the main need. "Cast all your cares on him because he cares for you". There we are to look at him and look at his word. We must as Hebrews says "pay much closer attention to what we have heard". Jesus may well also want to teach us lessons - he could calm the storm now but he chooses not too, until we have got the point into our thick heads. Finally, as Lucado points out, the fear and suffering we go through may not be about us at all. We may be being used as part of Gods divine plan. Lucado tells a wonderful story about a Jewish prisoner in Stalin's Siberian gulag who realised through the testimony of another prisoner that Jesus was the Messiah. The man, Boris Kornfeld was then beaten badly by the guards for his belief and ended up in the sick bay. There he shared his belief with a cancer patient who semi delirious heard Kornfeld tell his story with what the other man called later a "mystical knowledge ". In the morning the cancer patient looked for Boris to tell him more, but Boris was no more. He had been murdered in the night. Yet this was all part of Gods plan. Through that mans suffering and fear the cancer patient came to faith in Jesus the Messiah. His name? Alexander Solzhenitsyn.

In summary, Lucado points out that our Lord Jesus never asks us to do something he has done himself. In the garden of Gethsemane Jesus felt tremendous fear. What he did with his fear shows us what to do with ours. He asked God for help. he asked him to take away the fear and the suffering "Yet not my will but yours be done".

Prayer = "God help me".

Friends, you can do the same. Next time the boss says "Can I have a word" or your child says "Dad can i have a minute" or the Doctor leans forward and sadly says "I am very sorry to have to tell you but..." ask God for help. Maybe dear reader you are not a Christian. Well, this applies to you as well. If there is no God then all you have to lose is speaking into the air. And if there is a God then maybe he is bringing you into a fearful situation for the express purpose of making himself known to you.

I have been and am feeling fearful and have found this book plus "The Crook in the Lot" by Thomas Boston (see my other reviews) invaluable.
on 15 October 2013
I started reading this book when life was going swimmingly. Just a few months later, my family and I were faced with what could have been a very scary future. This book has truly helped in the easy style of writing, when you can't process theology bricks, but can manage a sense of humour and very wise, sound words.
We truly have nothing to fear when we come before our saviour, and this book guides you in a way that is manageable and humorous at the same time.
I've bought this as gifts for many friends, as it's had such a significant impact on the way I now live. Sounds corny, but this book truly has the power to change your life
on 13 July 2014
I love the way this book is written. I laughed and at times I had to stop and be challenged. we all can have fears at times and Jesus knew that. He is the comforter and I am blessed to have been found by Him many years ago. I still have fears but God has not finished with me yet. I am still learning to trust Him. thank you Max Lucado for an excellent book.
on 1 April 2011
I have found this book amazing. It is challenging and at the same time very comforting. I would highly recommend it.
on 7 May 2016
Absolutely love this book and how it is written. Max has a great way with words and describes the feelings of fear so well.

Not only does he do this, but he also gives the underlying issues of what fear does with our relationships, whether with God or with others. Consequences one doesn't consider so much while experiencing fear, but one does face these consequences.

Lastly he gives the reader handles how to deal with this issue.

Only while Reading the book, you start to realise how fear creeps into every available area of your life. Not simply to realise and then suffer for it, but the book well describes how to deal with it, in the small insecurities of life as well as the large fear issues of fear of for instance loosing a loved one. Learning to deal with the former helps in the process of dealing with the latter. Thank you Max Lucado!
on 14 January 2010
Absolutely fantastic book for Christians and those seeking as well. Don't be put off by the Christian author it really is a must read for any faiths and non.

Fearless
on 30 January 2012
Do you have doubts? You're not alone. 'Fearless' by Max Lucado is easy to read and full of sound advice. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to grow in their faith. This book will reassure you. Excellent!
on 18 July 2014
top writer, a decent book -- I enjoy this author, really speaks down to earth sense, straight from heaven