5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Resource
Published on 3 Jan 2011 by TheWiffs

3.0 out of 5 stars a little disconnected
Max Lucado is a story teller. It comes naturally to him - using language to evoke feeling and emphasise his point. Here, in Outlive Your Life: you were made to make a difference, he uses this story telling once more.

Published on 22 Feb 2011 by L. Mills

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Resource, 3 Jan 2011
You were made to make a difference, is a book aimed at youth for around ages 11-16. Max Lucado has co-written it with his daughter Jenna to help make it it more relevant and applicable for the target audience. The book seeks to impart to the reader that God is real, and active in the world and as a result of passages such as Psalm 139, we can know that God wants to know each one of us intimately. I wish I had read this book when I was younger; it has certainly suceeded in making me think about my own personal evangelism and my motives for doing what I do.

The way it does this is by using case studies of young people from around the world who have had a small idea and changed the world in a big way. The most notable example is the boy who was raising money for charity through basketball and from there has now set up and established his own charity.

The youth camp I am involved with are planning to give this book to each camper this year, such is the impact it has had on me. If you are struggeling to convey to your young people that Jesus' love for them is real, and is more than an hour on sunday thing, this book is a must for you. In addition to this, there are bible verses scattered throughout it, space for notes in repsonse to what the reader has read, and animations and pictures to keep the readers attention. All in all, a very well thought out book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Life Changing, 26 Oct 2010
Angela (Cheltenham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Outlive Your Life (Paperback)
If you don't want to be challenged to the core and moved to action, DON'T read this book. Rather go to Argos to pick up a catalogue and plan your Christmas shopping. Seriously! Even a person with the hardest heart imaginable will be moved to tears within minutes of reading 'Out Live Your Life'. The first two and a half pages, before chapter one even begins, gave me goosebumps! The first chapter caused me to start the Human Trafficking section of my blog [...] because I had no excuse not to. My selfishness has been challenged to the core and my excuses have been obliterated. I don't know when last a read a book that has impacted me this much and so have decided not to tell you too much more about it, so that you will get a copy for yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outlive Your Life, 21 Sep 2010
This review is from: Outlive Your Life (Paperback)
Outlive Your Life by Max Lucado, certainly met my expectations. When I read the opening chapter, in which Lucado addresses various world issues requiring our attention, I thought the book was going to be one big guilt trip, but it wasn't at all. The book isn't condemning in the least, but has the potential to provoke its readers into taking action. Lucado is positive and encouraging, and demonstrates that even the smallest act can change one person's life for the better.

Outlive Your Life is both readable and accessible. Each chapter is short but sweet, and follows a similar format. Lucado focuses on the book of Acts and the ministry of the apostles, suggesting how we too can administer to the needs of others in our daily lives. Outlive Your Life is a truly inspiring read, full of achievable ideas about how we can glorify God by serving people in need. The book contains a Discussion and Action Guide to encourage us to put what we've just read into practice. I came away from it with a real passion to do my part, and fully intend, in the coming weeks, to find out where my help is needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outlive your Life, 17 Sep 2010
Outlive your life by Max Lucado
Thomas Nelson / 9780849946684 / paperback / 212pp / £9.99

This is another wonderful inspirational book from the pen of Max Lucado. After 25 years of writing, he still refreshes the reader with his simple illustrations built on passages from the Bible. The stories may be simply told, but they reach deep into the heart and soul of the reader every time. But as this volume says, we are not meant just to read and enjoy these writings based on the book of Acts, but to act on them, to live out your faith, to make a difference to those around you. As one comment inside the front of the book says, "How to move from Bible studies to Bible doins".
It is so easy to be moved by such a book, but we need to put into practice what we read and the discussion and action guide at the back will help us do this. But, if you think you are not in a position to do anything, because of your circumstances, simply by buying this book will make a difference to someone, because the author's royalties are benefitting Christian mission work. Thank you Max for another brilliant book!
I was given a copy of this book by Thomas Nelson for review purposes, but this has not influenced my thoughts in any way.

Review by Margaret Vaughan

5.0 out of 5 stars Make a difference, 8 Jan 2011
This book is very inspiring and is one of the best books I have ever read so far. It talks of how any person can make a difference in the world and can change the world if they believe. It is a truly amazing book and talks of many different people's stories including young children and how they changed people's lives.

I like how while reading this book you can really relate to God because it helps you along the way, leaving lines to write down thoughts you would like to share with someone. This book really helped me connect to God and realise that if I try and believe that I can make a difference I can help people little steps at a time, it gives children the belief that there is hope.

I also like the way they have used bible extracts that relate to the chapter I think this is really good and helps children learn messages and people that are in the bible. I think this book is worth reading if you need some guidance and help but also when trying to connect to God and trying to find a place to start. I really loved this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Go on: Outlive Your Life!, 7 Oct 2010
J. DOUGLAS "Johnny Douglas" (Nr London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Outlive Your Life (Paperback)
In reading Max Lucado's newest book - Outlive Your Life - I was deeply challenged to ask what difference I can make on a daily basis. One of the final statements best sums it up: "None of us can help everyone. But all of us can help someone." Using personal stories and scripture in a way that it becomes relevant to everyday life, Lucado lays the foundation for a life that will be dynamic and full of love. He delivers this in a way that is entertaining, heartfelt and God-focused. This is definitely a five-gold-star book!

The chapter on letting God unshell us is one of the most creative and arresting chapter. Max writes about tough subjects with a knack for making them not seem quite so daunting. This is a book I will be revisiting and encouraging others with for some time to come. We are created by a great God to do great works. He invites us to outlive our lives, not just in heaven, but here on earth. Let's live our lives in such a way that the world will be glad we did.

Get it, read it, then live it. You'll be amazed how God will use you. What He will make of your life. I'm excited to see what God will do as I strive to be obedient and make the difference He made me to make.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gentle Lucado, 4 Oct 2010
This review is from: Outlive Your Life (Paperback)
When I opened the envelope with a complimentary review copy of Max Lucado's new book `Out Live your Life' from Booksneeze I was a little apprehensive. You see I haven't read a Lucado book in quite some time. A few years ago I read so many Lucado books that I felt like I had become immune to his beautiful turn of phrase - I was Lucado-ed out. But as I sat down this weekend to read `Out Live your Life' I was easily drawn into the book and finished it that same day.

Based on the early church in the book of Acts Lucado challenges the reader to make a difference in the way they live their lives - by showing compassion, breaking cultural walls and living radical relationship. Initially with all the statistical quotes about poverty I thought that this was another book in the ilk of Rich Stearn's `Hole in the Gospel' but although the book touches on poverty issues the real focus is relationships - noticing the people and their circumstances around you. While some of the examples he uses are people who went to radical lengths to help others many of the examples are just ordinary people who did something small that made a huge difference. It feels like Lucado's call is not necessarily to the dramatic but to making a difference in an everyday kind of ordinary way and that feels attainable and less daunting than most books that deal with poverty issues.

Among my favourite chapters was Chapter 12 `Blast a Few Walls' which is about how the early church, with the leading of the Holy Spirit, totally turned cultural barriers on its head. Lucado challenges the reader to be part of the "Bigotry-demolition team'. I also loved chapter 9's (Do Good, Quietly) imagining of the conversation between Ananias and Sapphira. "Bottom line: don't make a theatre production out of your faith" - a challenge to do good for the sake of doing good rather than to be seen.

On the downside I felt the book was firmly aimed at the American believer - but that is Lucado's main audience. I also felt that the flow between the chapters was a bit disjointed - that each chapter stood alone, which is an advantage for those who like to dip in and out of a book or do the study in the back. It felt that each chapter had previously been a separate stand alone sermon from a series on Acts.

I found the study guide by David Drury in the back very interesting and especially helpful with his `Ideas for Action', again following Lucado's non-intimidating challenge to be radical with not too scary ideas to implement the chapter's lesson.

Lucado's challenge to `Out Live Your Life' is a challenge to let our faith radically change our relationships, but Lucado issues the challenge in a gentle way that makes it attainable and not too overwhelming.

5.0 out of 5 stars You should read it, 17 Mar 2011
Changi Wee (Loughborough, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Outlive Your Life (Paperback)
It's a good book, you should read it, no excuses. It's well written. You can read it through without wanting to put it down and it's really good for your library, because there are not so many great writers like Max Lucado. I pray he remains on the right track - God's.

3.0 out of 5 stars a little disconnected, 22 Feb 2011
L. Mills - See all my reviews
This review is from: Outlive Your Life (Paperback)

The book is loosely based around the book of Acts. I say loosely, because although intially it promises to immerse the reader in the story of the life of the new church, in reality each chapter takes a text as its theme. The idea behind the book is that we can outlive our lives by making a difference to others.

I very much appreciate this premise, because I myself have a passion for making a difference - in whatever way we can. So I was keen to read this, although these days I tend to find Lucado books not as challenging as I would like.

I have to confess to being a little disappointed. Although I appreciate what he is trying to do, the chapters seem almost like a collection stand alone sermons (complete with illustrations) than they do as part of a whole. A book, in my opinion, needs to lead you on and draw you deeper. For me, this was simply too bitesized. And although I too like playing with language to make a point, Lucado can be a bit repetitive and in the case of retelling biblical stories, rather too keen on embellishment of detail. I like to be drawn into a story and to use my imagination, but occasionally I felt he took this a bit too far in his descriptions. Once you start mentally disagreeing with descriptions or finding them too detailed, your attention to the main point is lost.

And that, I think is the problem. The book is too cluttered and does not hone itself, does not weave itself around a central point. The introduction promises but does not deliver.

There are genuinely moving and interesting points that are made, but they were too disparate for me in my overall appreciation of the book. This is a shame, because there are good things to be found here. It just doesn't hold together and keep my attention.

In some ways, it felt like I should literally be listening to it - as if indeed it was a sermon series. Perhaps there are those who will respond well to this, but for me, wanting to go deeper and to be drawn in, it felt rather frustrating. I would put it down and keep forgetting to pick it up again, which didn't help with the cohesive (or non cohesive) element.

I know that there will be those who disagree with me and for this I am glad: the idea of making a difference in our world because by loving others we are loving Jesus - which was a beautiful way to end the book - is a wonderful one. I hope that there are those who read in a different way from me and therefore get more out of it.

I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 8 Jan 2011
This review is from: Outlive Your Life (Paperback)
In Outlive Your Life: You Were Made to Make A Difference,Max Lucado reminds us that God uses common, ordinary "folk" like you and me to uncommon, world-changing effect. Using the book of Acts as a guide, Lucado invites us to dig deep and live out our lives embracing the gospel message and actively involved in the ministry of Jesus. He encourages us to not overlook the needy, downtrodden, outcast, and hurting. He provides examples of how we can make a difference in their lives. He reinforces the need to always present the love of Jesus and the salvation which is available by His grace through faith.

I have read several books on the need for Christians to be involved in matters of "social justice." In fact, it is a hot topic in today's world. But this is the first book on the subject that stirs a need within me. It goes beyond throwing alms to the poor and focuses on being engaged in loving God and loving all people everyday and moment of our lives no matter where we may be.

I heartily recommend this book. It is comprised of sixteen chapters presented in a devotional like format. The chapters open with a scripture, close with prayer, and are filled with the exceptional writing we have come to expect from Max Lucado. I encourage you to get your copy today! You will not regret it!

Oh and by the way, one hundred percent of the author's royalties from the sale of Outlive Your Life products will benefit children and families through World Vision and other faith-based compassion ministries.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Outlive Your Life: You Were Made to Make a Difference
Outlive Your Life: You Were Made to Make a Difference by Thomas Nelson Publishers (Hardcover - 14 Sep 2010)