Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 February 2012
This is an excellent book which is written beautifully and sensitively. I have had my heart broken a couple of times, and I really wish I had read this years ago. I have read many popular Christian books about love, marriage, choosing a marriage partner, and dating but this is different in style to those, and much more profound. It is very Biblical but also sensitive to culture, and our different views and experiences on how to go about finding a marriage partner (arranged marriage, love at first sight, love that grows steadily, etc.).

Ravi points out that the Biblical pattern always includes an element of free choice. Love does not flourish under compulsion(indeed compulsion stifles and easily extinguishes love) so that even in arranged marriages or marriages which are perhaps more practical than romantic, each partner should have an element of choice about whether to go down this route or not. This choice and process of choosing is shown clearly and simply by the Isaac and Rebekah story. Ravi also highlights the dangers of relying too much on romantic feelings in our choices; and that, as well as our hearts, our heads must be fully engaged in the process too.

Ultimately, Ravi focuses on our individual faith walk and relationship with God, and our individual commitment to grow in character as Christians. If we are each growing into the men and women God wants us to be, Ravi explains, we will bring these beautiful qualities into our relationships and will help our partners and relationships flourish. This, says Ravi, is the key to strong, lasting relationships which mirror God's purpose and Biblical values; and which should ignite and fuel the romance as much as anything else. Too often when dating or when married, we try to change or improve the other, and shift the responsibility away from ourselves. The Isaac and Rebekah passage in the Bible provides a very helpful map, and Ravi is a gentle and wise guide as he takes us on the Biblical journey. A must read!I TAKE THEE REBEKAH PB
on 27 July 2014
This book narrates the story of Isaac and Rebekah, and explain it up against the cultural background of those times and compares it to present culture. Biblical lessons are drawn along the way. It's not on book on "how to" or "10 steps." It's a story being told and lessons being drawn by yourself. Yes, you'd draw the lessons yourself as you read through this book.

I'd recommend it to all single people, and married people as well.

I gave it a 4-star because I think the only book which deserves a 5-star is the Bible.
on 9 May 2013
I have listened to a talk Ravi made on the subject and it was amazing and so getting the book was a smart follow-up move and I haven't regretted it.
on 26 June 2013
Amazing book!!! Very helpful and informative!! Only downside is that it wasn't long enough :) Ravi's adds authencity to the book by adding plus personal experiences and others experiences. His constant referring back to the scripture and the story of Jacob and Rebekah was refreshing. Loved it :)
on 11 October 2014
Great insight and applications of how Godly relationships function. A must read for all couples irrespective of the lenght of you relationship.
on 23 October 2014
Very good as gift for young couples.