‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars a really great book!, 1 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Patisserie: Mastering the Fundamentals of French Pastry (Hardcover)
I bought this book as quite a beginner to pastry. I'd only made a few quiches and a few pies out of basic short crust pastry. 'Patisserie' has taught me the precision, accuracy and discipline involved in making French pastries. I am growing more confident and getting quicker at making tarts. There are obviously a huge amount of different recipes, set out as lessons, and I started off following every recipe through in order, but now I've diverged from this and enjoy choosing which recipe to follow next. The book isn't necessarily set out basic to advanced through all the lessons, but more divided into sections, which makes more sense (Tartes, Les Cremes etc). There are a lot of photos to go along with the steps in the recipe, and these show the important things like how the texture of something should look so that your pastries turn out right!

Some things that might be helpful to know are:
- A lot of the recipes contain almonds as in traditional French pastry
- A lot of these aren't particularly quick recipes, with tart pastry requiring 2 hours chill time

although these things don't bother me!

Also, I struggled to find all the correct sized pastry rings the recipes sometimes ask for, but the book gives alternatives such as using a tart pan with a removable bottom instead, the same is given for vanilla essence instead of pods, so it is pretty accommodating!

The book contains every thing you could want to eat and make in a Patisserie, from tartes to macarons to croissants and pretty much everything in between...

I would recommend this book to anyone wanting to learn 'the Fundamentals of French Pastry', it is a brilliant book, and will keep me busy and happy for a long time!

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect pastry book, 30 Oct. 2013
Mr. R. Thakur (London UK) - See all my reviews
I don't normally write reviews, but this book is utterly superb in its detail with incredible picture tutorials for every single recipe. I bought this book having been engrossed in the Great British Bake Off and having recently read the article on the BBC about Parisian Patisseries and it does not disappoint. It covers all the main techniques, patisserie classics and gives really good advice on what to do to get the best out of your ingredients. I now have new found appreciation for the art of a good Patissier!

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing recipes, but some kitchen confidence is needed., 24 Mar. 2014
A. Field - See all my reviews
This book has some wonderful recipes and I am slowing trying to make my way through all of the chapters via my blog: [...]

Most of the easy recipes can be attempted by anyone, regardless of their ability and this is what you would expect. However when you make your way to the intermediate and advanced recipes, there are some real problems with the quantities and details in the recipes.

I've had some issues with cakes not stretching to the quantities they should and other recipes where I have had far too much left over. I've also struggled with the size of some of the gateaux recipes. The average size is 40cm x 30cm, I struggled to find tins and cake rings of this size. They also only just fit in my domestic oven and I struggled to fit them in my freezer to chill.

Despite all of these annoyances, this is a great book with some great tips and recipes. My only advice would be that you need to be prepared to do your homework for a lot of these recipes. If anyone has any questions I'd be more than happy to help on my blog.

4.0 out of 5 stars Delivers So Much More Than it Promises, 7 Mar. 2013
OK, granted I haven't baked from it yet, I only received it today having pre-ordered it from Amazon, but I couldn't resist sharing my first impressions. At the time of pre-order there was no "Look Inside" available, the write up is fairly bland and there wasn't even a cover photo on the jacket to inspire me. As a keen home baker who's done some semi-professional baking, I was looking for a book which would give me half a chance at reproducing at home, the magnificent and perfectly presented French pâtisserie that I so love. The write up not being the most inspiring I googled Christophe Felder and found a string of accolades and gourmet credentials and decided to take a chance. The book arrived today and having had no great expectations about how good it would be I am bowled over. Entitled the "Fundamentals" of French Pastry, I was expecting a far less weighty tome introducing the basics, this is more akin to a professional pâtisserie course in words and pictures. Whilst this will never be the same as attending full-time Parisienne Pâtisserie School, I'm betting it will be as close as you can get from the comfort of your own kitchen. I've done some Masterclasses at cookery school so whilst a mostly self-taught enthusiast with a few classes under my belt, I've seen and learnt enough to be confident that this book is going to deliver.

For a start it is nearly three inches thick, so comprehensive it is. There are 207 "lessons" on 800 pages each illustrated with step-by-step detailed photos complete with guidance on how to achieve the professional standards of presentation and finish which epitomise French Pâtisserie. Thankfully in this case, the publishers have resisted the irritating norm of reducing professionals' recipes onto a single page per recipe by editing out the finer nuances that deny home-bakers the opportunity to recreate truly great cuisine. Bravo to the Editor who granted Christophe Felder the respect of typically four pages per recipe (two of text, two of photos). All those times you've seen beautiful finishing touches and thought "I wonder how they do that?" - it's all here. Divided into nine chapters it covers all the classics of French pâtisserie:

Chapter 1: Les Pâtes et Les Tartes (Basic Pastry and Tarts)
Chapter 2: Les Crèmes (Creams, Custards and Puddings)
Chapter 3: La Décoration (Decorations)
Chapter 4: Les Gâteaux Classiques (Classic Cakes and Desserts)
Chapter 5: Les Chocolats et Petites Bouchées (Chocolate Desserts and Candies)
Chapter 6: Les Gâteaux de L'Avent (Holiday Cakes, Cookies and Other Sweet Treats)
Chapter 7: Les Macarons
Chapter 8: Les Brioches et Viennoiseries (Brioches and Breakfast Pastries)
Chapter 9: Les Mignardises (Petits Fours)

In addition to pastry work, there's sugar work (from spun sugar to sugar paste and everything in between), chocolaterie, piping techniques, sponge work, producing layer cakes, syrups, you name it it's here. The index is now available on the "Look Inside" feature so I'll leave the interested reader to peruse the list of classics at their leisure or I'll be here all night.

I'll update this once I've had the chance to bake from it but I'll be extremely surprised if I am disappointed. Certainly this book does not have the coffee table beauty of Pierre Herme Pastries or Bouchon Bakery but I'll hedge my bets and predict your dinner party guests will be so busy drooling over the edible works of art this book will enable you to produce at home, they won't even notice the book on the coffee table.

Update 1: As soon as I posted this review, two further reviews from Amazon.com (USA) became visible. Since the other reviewer had problems with the Tarte à L'Orange I shall be trying that recipe first to compare my own experience with that of the other reviewer. I've currently given this a four for what it promises but will review my star grading once I've tested a few recipes.

Keep you posted!

Happy Baking!
@Tortepane

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!, 30 Nov. 2014
Mr Ian Ollerenshaw (Oswestry, Shropshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Even after reading all the great reviews for this book it is still an unbelievable surprise at the amount and the quality of the information contained in it.
It is truly incredible.
At present I have only tried a couple or recipes from the book, until now I have struggled to make a decent and consistent creme patissiere!
The one in this book is to die for!
As are the creme caramels.
I have also had success with the éclairs.
So, when I get some time when I'm not actually reading the book then I will get around to making more!
So, very happy with this book!
It's a must for any baking enthusiast who wants to take their baking to a higher level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind blowingly awesome, 23 Nov. 2013
The amount of pictures describing the steps is probably the best single feature of the book. There are plenty of times when they show you what things should look like or what you should do. Sometimes the pictures are pointless as it's obvious, but they're still nice. The amount of content in the book is dazzling and apart from a few lessons such as a few where almond paste is used to make decorative things I didn't really find anything I don't want to try out at some point.

I've tried kouign amann and the basic brioche recipes so far and while the results have been outstanding, I do have to note that when using these recipes, you should have some common sense. For example the gram conversion on cups of flour is fairly inaccurate for the flour I've used, which resulted in my brioche seemingly not having enough flour since the weight of flour I use seems to be a bit heavier than the one used for conversions. This was, however, something that was obviously easy to correct by adding more. Similiarly I think the kouign amann recipe could use a bit more water and I think I was correct. However, I can't say the book is to blame. The flour I'm using as "all purpose flour" probably just simply is different from the one Christophe Felder used for the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant book and very well laid out with clear pictures ..., 28 Sept. 2014
A brilliant book and very well laid out with clear pictures and instructions, it is a very large book with with nearly 800 pages so just working through recipes and trying out suggestions, well worth the investment and will be well used.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book! After a couple of near misses (which ..., 18 Nov. 2014
NannaJeep (Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
Fantastic book! After a couple of near misses (which ended in the bin!) I produced the perfect macaron!! The pictures are a tremendous help - my only suggestion (and I do appreciate that it was written for the U.S. market) to improve an excellent cookery book, would be to have the English equivalent of some of the ingredients, eg. 'icing sugar' instead of 'confectioner's sugar' - perhaps in brackets? Will keep me occupied through the coming winter months!

5.0 out of 5 stars A feast for the eyes as well as the the stomach, 23 Feb. 2014
Shady Lady (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
What a beautiful book - so easy to read with clear photographs and step by step instructions. We made the fruit dacquoise and it looked just like the photo at our first attempt although we did have to make some more filling to get it right. The quantities made are on an industrial scale - fortunately we had a baking tin exactly half the size specified (16 ins x 12 ins wouldn't fit in our fridge/freezer) and what we made would have fed a dozen people.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get it, 14 Oct. 2014
This is how all cook books should be produced. If I look up now at my book shelf I can see around 30 -35 cook books in front of me. Some are good, some are very good but none come close to the quality of this as an actual cookery book.
It is beautifully set out, easy to work from, generous with photographs of the process and fished dish. It feels like an actual course in patisserie.
It is also a big book, over 2 inches thick.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Patisserie: Mastering the Fundamentals of French Pastry
Patisserie: Mastering the Fundamentals of French Pastry by Christophe Felder (Hardcover - 26 Feb. 2013)
Ł22.75