4.0 out of 5 stars Passionate polemic
This passionate polemic by Oriana Fallaci grew out of an article she wrote for an Italian newspaper after the events of 9/11. She afterwards expanded the piece in order to say everything she wanted to get off her chest. In her own words, she was trying to open the eyes of those who do not want to see, unplug the ears of those who do not want to hear and ignite the...
Published on 30 Jun. 2005 by Pieter Uys

3.0 out of 5 stars The Rage and the Bile
This extraordinary outburst by Fallacci is the latest in a long line of "revenge-writings" where she flushes out her critics in order to knock them flat. Nothing she writes could possibly be termed "politically correct". In her mind there is no doubt that there exists a state of war between the world of Islam and the West; not a war of religion, but a war where a religion...
Published on 14 Jan. 2003 by Factotum

4.0 out of 5 stars Alas - only too true!, 11 Aug. 2014
Roger Clark (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rage and Pride (Hardcover)
I bought this book soon after the 9/11 attacks. I was shocked by its vehemence. Could this be true? I asked myself. I read Fallaci's other book "The Force of Reason". Again I was shocked by its tone. Again I asked was it true?

Sadly after years of reading more temperate books, studying the Islamic threat, following the news and examining what Muslims say and do I have come to the conclusion that what Fallaci wrote was true.

As Fallaci makes clear militant Islam is a threat to all mankind as it was in centuries past. No amount of bluster will disguise that fact. Muslims are locked into a belief system that guarantees endless strife. They have been at war with each other ever since Islam was invented 1400 years ago. It's the longest-running sectarian war in history. And when they're not fighting one another Muslims are fighting everyone else. There's something wrong with their religion, but the religious zealots are too irrational to examine its faults.

Edward Said denounced this book when it first came out. He would! But can anyone truthfully argue that Islam means peace? Look at its history. Look at what it's doing right now all over the world. The West is under attack. The threat to democracy, free speech and human rights is real. The clash of civilisations is happening.

I wish I could condemn Oriana Fallaci and say she got it wrong. I wish I could say Islam is no threat to anyone. But that is impossible. Fallaci's language may be intemperate, but she got her facts right. That's what's so shocking about her books. People need to heed her warnings.

We will be lucky if we escape a third world war. Millions of Muslims want one. They should try thinking instead.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hard and Compelling, 27 July 2010
This review is from: The Rage and Pride (Hardcover)
No time for tears or nostalgia, the author espouses and advocates what most of already feel about Islam and Muslims but don't really dare to voice. Is it racist or is it a daring opinion? Can't fault her writing or her impeccable style ( even in translation, and I read Italian). A life cut short too soon, I wonder what she would have made of today's world? A must read book.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Important Wake Up Call To The West, 9 May 2012
Capt I. McRae "The Ancient Mariner" (Angus, Scotland.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rage and Pride (Hardcover)
In this very personal work Oriana Fallaci vents her rage at the perpetrators of the 11th September massacre in New York. She insisted on translating the work from Italian herself, which gives it a slightly quirky feel, that dramatically adds force to her argument. The book compares radical Islam to the fascism of Hitler and Mussolini, and declares the army of millions of hidden terrorists in cells throughout our western civilisation are the SS elite storm troopers of Islam. Fallaci shows that the so called core of "peaceful" Islamists is a fallacy, and that the vast majority of Muslims are wholeheartedly in favour of Al Qaeda and its terror tactics, which is why we hear so little condemnation from maistream Islamic sources.

This book is a heavy duty wake up call to the west, which we should heed .... or prepare for colonisation and conversion !!!!

2.0 out of 5 stars The mad ravings of an old woman?, 30 Nov. 2006
Mike J. Wheeler (Kingswinford, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rage and Pride (Hardcover)
I bought this on the strength of it being described as "one of the two most important books in the last 100 years" (see below this review). I also bought it because of its subject matter. The threat from 'Islamofascists' is one that I, as sane Westerner should, take extremely seriously. But what do I find in this 'contribution to the debate' by Oriana Fallaci? All I find here is a rant - nothing more, nothing less. Surely if we are, as she states, not an equal culture to that found in Islamic states because of our 'freedom' and 'learning' and 'history' then we should expect a more intelligent assault on Islamofascism or a more reasoned defense of the West. This is a book which is exactly what it set out to be - a newspaper article and as such should have stayed that way in my opinion.

So though I agree with many (not all) of Fallaci's sentiments I think in some way that this does more harm than good to the debate. All this book reveals to me is one woman's hatred of Islam (amongst other things). It is also curiously translated by Fallaci herself and though she explains the reason for this she does write English incredibly badly. I suppose however that if she had got a professional translator to do the job for her the much of the venom would have been lost.

The book is in the form of a letter to the editor of an Italian newspaper but in the process of making some empassioned pleas for the West to wake up, Fallaci time and again falls into the trap of obvious racism. Describing Somalis as "dirty" or suggesting that Italian cities now look like "filthy casbahs" is not really helpful in the present climate.

In all I would tend to agree with Christopher Hitchens view of Fallaci's book in that it is "a sort of primer in how not to write about Islam". I wished that this had been more reasoned and thought through because she does have some of my sympathy in her views but if I were you I would read something a little more intellectually sound and less acid than this.

Two stars because anything is better than nothingto wake people up from the stupidity of cultural relativism and the present Left's blindness towards atrocities commited in Islamic states. However this strays incredibly close to downright racism and is written to cause offence to many, so be warned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 27 Nov. 2014
Great conditions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 18 Aug. 2014
Fine

The Rage and Pride
The Rage and Pride by Oriana Fallaci (Hardcover - 22 Nov. 2002)
Used & New from: £4.97