5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for beginners!, 4 May 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Teach Yourself Norwegian: Audio Pack with Cassette(s) (Teach Yourself (McGraw-Hill)) (Paperback)
It is a fantastic book! I have never studied norwegian before but now I can speak and read it quite easly! The grammar sections are very complete and tapes helped me to understand the right pronunciation. I found some new norwegian friends thanks to this book,,,,, Now I can write them a letter and understand what they say, It is great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best with the cassette, 7 Dec 2002
A. Shaw (UK) - See all my reviews
I'd messed round with Norwegian in the past - using the old (very old) Teach Yourself Norwegian which I found in a second hand bookshop - not the easiest of books to read! I decided to do it properly with the latest edition.
It was easy to follow, entertaining (what did eventually happen between John and Bente?), and extremely informative. The grammar is explained well, the exercises are good, and the vocabulary at least as extensive as the old edition. Indeed, at times it is so entertaining that I didn't want to put the book down!
Last summer, I went to Norway. Before going, I realised I was only really guessing at the pronunciation - though the book attempts to give a guide. I realised I was pronouncing it quite badly in parts, but with the aid of the cassette, I really got it quite good. Whilst in Norway, I had many compliments on my Norwegian, and felt confident enough to use the language in shops, campsites, and in simple conversation with people I met. I've never been to a Norwegian class; just about all that I know came from this book.
The only thing I regret is that there's not more. I'd really love it if Margaretha Danbolt Simons could write a follow-up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nearly perfect!, 18 Feb 2003
By A Customer
Six weeks after starting this course, from being a complete beginner, I am able to talk out loud about many topics, whether or not anyone is there to answer! The grammar is explained so well that I can transfer it easily to other areas and re-use the vocab to my own ends. My daughter is also learning, and with my 8 units (so far) and her 3 units (and a dictionary and her flair for grammar) we are able to email each other in respectable Norwegian. For me, that proves the success of the course.
My only criticism is that in some units the speaker uses different phrases to those that are transcribed, and some vocabulary is listed which isn't used. I hope these errors will be rectified in the new edition which is due out soon, because it is confusing to hear something different. Also, I was disappointed to find that on the second tape, many parts of the units are omitted - perhaps a CD would manage to fit all the items on? Still, it is very nearly a perfect course. Brilliant, in fact. The author should write some short stories to follow up!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is great!, 21 April 1999
By A Customer
For anyone who is considering the Norwegian language as a hobby (like I am) or for more useful purposes, then I'd suggest getting this book. The dialogues tell the story of an Englishman named John and a Norwegian girl named Bente. There are also excercises and very grammatical points. It's not too extreme in both, so it mixes the two. Since Norwegian is a "tonal" language (not to the extent of Chinese) like Swedish, I'd really suggest buying the version with the tapes. And if you're interested in Scandinavian languages, but not any in particular, then Norwegian is the way to go. It's close to Danish and Swedish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent starter for enthusiasts, 29 July 1999
By A Customer
This is a great book for those enthused about learning Norwegian. Though I did not get the tapes, this book reads through very easily and quickly. You should buy the book instead of borrowing it from the library, like me. The tapes should help out a lot, but I've found that the pronounciation is easy in general. If you are interested in Danish, don't go for it. I've found Norwegian pronounciation to be easier, and Danish just doesn't sound very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars John & Bente Do Norway, 4 Dec 2002
Miss Cobham "Klem21" (London) - See all my reviews
I loved my recent visit to Norway so much I came back wanting to learn the language and Teach Yourself Norwegian is absolutely brilliant. Having the Bente and John characters is inspired casting. They made learning easy and the book covers everything in an easy to understand fashion, from the dreaded grammar to language patterns and exercises to help you consolidate your learning. Each unit is comprehensive and self contained. I am only a quarter of the way through this course but I understand more than I realise. I do however think that the tapes (CD's would have been better.) for this course are essential, as spoken Norwegian can be difficult to understand. My only critism would be the visual, gamesy element that a course like this would be enhanced by. This course would be great on CD ROM, with interactive features.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bente and John and Kari rule, 26 July 1999
By A Customer
The book is good but what makes this really unique is the cassettes because you listen to Bente and John and Kari having these entertaining conversations in Norwegian. They speak clearly so you can imitate the words and pick up fast, and follow along in the book. The book starts you off with learning the always tough Norwegian vowels and you go from there, with the help of Bente and John. Tusen takk, ha det!

5.0 out of 5 stars It has really helped me learn and develop the language....., 17 Jun 1998
By A Customer
I think this book is a nust if wanting to learn the Norwegian language! This book got me started since the first time I opened it. It allows you to learn quickly and easily. Also the grammatik is thoroughly explained, to allow faster learning. I picked up this book so when i go to Norway to get the Black Metal band started, I could communicate. Well now I am ready to do so! GET IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Used & New from: 39.92