5.0 out of 5 stars A Gory Ride Into Hell
I'm very surprised at some of the lousy reviews that this novel has had. But that's people for you, I guess.
Well, I'm going to give it a five star rating and it was well worthy of that.

Published 5 months ago by Amy Gerrard

2.0 out of 5 stars Tedious Joyride
I just found it too basic, with little tension as I cared nothing for the characters. Having read a couple of other books by the same author I suspect that I simply don't appreciate his blunt, spare, action driven style. (That can occasionally work for me but I was bored by this book, which had neither interesting characters nor edge-of -your-seat thrills.)
Published 5 months ago by Marie

5.0 out of 5 stars A Gory Ride Into Hell, 14 Nov 2013
This review is from: Joyride (Kindle Edition)
Well, I'm going to give it a five star rating and it was well worthy of that.

Jack Ketchum has a brilliant style that basically bridges a gab between the dark thriller and pure horror. And for me, that's a nice approach. I liked his highly plausible characters and the story actually has dragged together bits and bobs of actual spree killing cases. And when you read this novel you could imagine this happening. It doesn't have a silly, comic-strip feel to it like some horror writers have. Instead, what you have is a real scary journey of chaos and carnage and its a real page turner as the plot unfolds.

A couple are abducted by a psychopath who makes them watch his murderous crimes and vendetta against innocent society. The story is brutal, gory, and you can take it either as a thriller or as a horror novel. But then, that is up to you.

I loved his novels: 'The Lost and 'Red', and both made a great impact on me both as a reader and also, as a writer myself of such fiction. And Jack really has written some fine fiction indeed. I could write a more in-depth review of this novel but I really don't want to spoil it for anyone. That wouldn't be fair. But all I can conclude on is that I loved it and it is a must for fans of Jack.

Full marks - loved it!

2.0 out of 5 stars Tedious Joyride, 9 Nov 2013
This review is from: Joyride (Kindle Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars You don't want to be hitching with Jack Ketchum!, 1 July 2010
This review is from: Joyride (Mass Market Paperback)
Wayne witnesses Lee and Carole murder her abusive husband thus releasing Wayne's inner frustration to be a serial killer. He thanks the couple by dragging them along while he merrily ambles on a mindless killing spree. This is up there with some of Ketchum's best, OffspringThe Lost. The reader will be amazed at how effortlessly Ketchum can stack up a body count. It is easy to see that some of this story may be based on real events instigated by real serial killers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fasten your seatbelts for this joyride, 28 Nov 2002
Daniel Jolley "darkgenius" (Shelby, North Carolina USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Joyride (Mass Market Paperback)
Jack Ketchum knows how to write a good horror story. There is nothing exceptional or highly original about the plot of Joyride, but it is a very satisfying read. The book opens with a murder. Carole has been a victim throughout her entire life; her ex-husband Howard had abused her just about every way possible. The only way to finally get rid of him, she and her new man Lee decide, is to kill him and make it look like an accident. They think they pull off a perfect crime, but they do not realize at the time that someone else has watched the whole thing, someone even more evil and perverted than Howard. Wayne Lock has killed things throughout his life, but he has always stopped just short of killing a human being. He sees Carole and her ex-husband as his deliverance, kidnapping them, trying to learn from them what murder feels like. The end result is a murder spree of epic proportions, with Carol and Lee his reluctant "witnesses."
One criticism Ketchum is vulnerable to is characterization, but he does a pretty good job of it in this novel. Oddly enough, this is most evident in the character of the policeman pursuing the mass murdering Wayne Lock. He knows Carole's history, and she reminds him a lot of his own ex-wife; it is he, however, who makes the most significant realization about himself at the novel's conclusion. We get snips and pieces of Wayne Lock's history, enough to explain the murderous intensity of his personality but not enough to truly understand his reasoning. Carole and Lee are not developed fully in my mind, but this seems to me to be a positive in the context of this novel. I never felt strongly negative or positive toward them; they moved in a haze of contradiction where good and evil continuously wove in amongst each other.
There is plenty of carnage in this book--that's pretty much a given with Ketchum. Another given, and this is what makes Ketchum such a great horror writer, is a brutally honest plot that will not cheat the reader at the end. It is hard to predict a Ketchum ending, which is the main reason I respect him greatly as an author. The cavalry doesn't appear magically over the hill to save the day--instead, things happen the way they would most likely happen in real life--good and evil are second-string players in this game; reality itself determines the fate of Ketchum's characters. This makes for a gripping read, even in a case such as this where the storyline is nothing remarkably original.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good......but nothing new., 18 Aug 2009
Simon Edwards - See all my reviews
This review is from: Road Kill (Paperback)
This is the first Ketchum novel i have read, and even though the story was hardly original i am sure i will read more.

It has the same feel as a Richard Laymon book - its short (ideal for one sitting) and the action is thick and fast. There are hardly any wasted sentences and the story rockets along.

The big difference between Ketchum and Laymon though is the maturity and skill of the written word. This is a more serious piece.

Overall i like ketchums style, but would have liked more originality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes! Yes! Yes!..., 2 Jun 2006
The Owler (East Sussex, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Road Kill (Hardcover)
Fantastic!! A story that will grab you by the scruff of the neck and refuse to let you go until finished.

This book was a pleasure to read. It has no pointless subplot diversions / distractions / timewasting scenarios. Just pure, straight-down-the-line action. The characters are minimally but adequately defined, and behave appropriately (I guess; no firsthand experience like this). There are some gruesome scenes in the book. Whilst these are quite graphic, they are not overly dwelt upon. They form part of the story and are used appropriately to fuel the 'tension-rollercoaster'.

A non-supernatural horror that will rock your boat. Road Kill is my second Jack Ketchum book, and has left me wanting more.

1.0 out of 5 stars Joyride, 31 May 2010
This review is from: Joyride (Mass Market Paperback)
What a rip off! Have long been a Ketchum fan and have all of his books, how excited I was, a new novel to be published June 2010. Excitedly I sat down to read it, Déjà vu? it is Road Kill published by Ketchum in 1994 verbatum! The story itself is a great Ketchum page turner but why oh why republish the same book with a diferent title and synopsis apart from to get more cash from the same work. At the end of the book is the bonus novella Weed Species, guess what already read that one too.

If you are new to Ketchum, buy this, its a great couple of stories, if not check your book shelves and re-read what you have and save the $7.99.

ARRAY(0xa637d1b0)

Joyride
Joyride by Jack Ketchum (Mass Market Paperback - 25 May 2010)
Used & New from: 1.76