5.0 out of 5 stars If you want a romance book - READ IT!
As I write this review this book currently stands at 3/5 stars.

I think this is a little harsh.
Yes it could have been written better, but if you are looking for a good romance book to look for THIS IS PERFECT.

Charming, witty characters and a brilliant love story.
I LOVED IT! I am buying more of her books!

I've read so many of...
Published 18 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Readable but with some flaws
Returning from a life of adventure and travel, Miss Sophie Everton is surprised to find she's been recruited as a spy for the Prince Regent. Despite having trouble adapting to the life of the ton, she accepts in order to save her family home.

Published on 15 Jan 2011 by josie82

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want a romance book - READ IT!, 28 Dec 2012
This review is from: As Luck Would Have it (Leisure Historical Romance) (Mass Market Paperback)
As I write this review this book currently stands at 3/5 stars.

I think this is a little harsh.

Charming, witty characters and a brilliant love story.
I LOVED IT! I am buying more of her books!

I've read so many of these books there are always going to be common trends.
Do not let other reviews put you off.

3.0 out of 5 stars Readable but with some flaws, 15 Jan 2011
josie82 (Fife, Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Alex, the dashing Duke of Rockeforte and agent for the War Office, has been asked to keep an eye on Sophie but can't seem to do so without finding ways to kiss her. So it's no wonder that neither realise that danger lurks just around the corner.

This is the first book in Johnson's Providence series and is followed by Tempting Fate, McAlistair's Fortune and Destined to Last. The characters all feature in each novel but having read the books out of order myself, I can't say that they need to be read in order to be enjoyed and understood.

For some reason I just couldn't get engrossed in this book. That might explain why all the intrigue and subterfuge had me baffled at times. The plot, or at least the machinations of the characters to create the plot, was a tad ridiculous although I'm sure not meant to be taken seriously. Sophie and Alex were likeable characters but I could really have done with a little more depth and chemistry between them. The book definitely got more interesting as I kept reading and I'm glad I stuck with it as I really liked the group of characters introduced.

Unfortunately I have to mention a huge drawback to this book and that's the horrific amount of Americanisms contained. Normally you'll find one or two in a book of this sort but there were so many that I was cringing at times as I read.

Having said all that, this is a light, likeable enough read that is worth a go if it's sitting in your bookshelf. I'm still looking forward to reading the rest of the books in the series and will probably look out for other books by Alissa Johnson in the future. 3 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good First Effort., 1 July 2009
Tigerlily101 (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I am always on the look out for new authors in the romance genre. Alissa Johnson's first book is a decent read with all the good elements of good romance books.

The good bits: It is witty, fun, sexy and most important of all both H/H are likeable characters.

The not too good bits: Ms Johnson's writing lacks originality, and is guilty of following the tried and tested formula of the genre which make it predictable and flat.

I sincerely hope that her writing will improve with her next book.

As Luck Would Have it (Leisure Historical Romance)
As Luck Would Have it (Leisure Historical Romance) by Alissa Johnson (Mass Market Paperback - 1 Oct 2008)
Used & New from: 0.01