4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but a little on the short side.
Published on 10 April 2009 by M. Chase

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting concept with cheap horror
Published on 20 Sep 2009 by Mr. G. Battle

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, but a little on the short side., 10 April 2009
M. Chase - See all my reviews
This review is from: Castaways (Leisure Fiction) (Mass Market Paperback)
Having read lots of Stephen King and Dean Koontz over recent years I felt like a change and decided to take a chance with Brian Keene's 'Castaways'. This only took me two days to read and this is the only thing that's stopped me from giving the book 5 stars. The plot is original and very fast paced. Keene is excellent at writing dialogue for his characters and the action never stops throughout. Having read this I will now give a few of his other novels a try. 'Lost' + Michael Crichton's 'Congo' + Reality TV's 'Survivor' = CASTAWAYS.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 10 Mar 2009
marky77 (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Castaways (Leisure Fiction) (Mass Market Paperback)
This is by far my favourite Brian Keene novel, I was extremely impressed with it!

The plot revolves around a group of around a dozen people who are on a tropical island as part of a reality TV show called Castaways. However, there is a storm due so the crew of the show set off on a ship for safety leaving only the contestants, along a few remaning crew members to record how the Castaways deal with the storm. However, we soon learn that our Castaways are not along on the island as they thought, when they are systematically attacked by a group of cannibalistic inbred savages who inhabit the island.

We mainly see things from the point of view of our protagonists, Becka and Jerry and also get a few chapters from other charcaters' (mainly in suspenceful stalked-by-the-savages type scenes). The suspence starts off right from the first chapter and doesnt let up untill the end so there are no boring parts, and I found the characters of Becka and Jerry to be both realistic and likeable so that you really hope they survive.

Deffinatly his goriest and most frightening book so far. He dedicates this to Richard Laymon, stating that the cannibals in this novel were inspired by the creatures from the Beast House books. Laymon is my favourite author and I think he would be proud of this book. Very highly reccomended, I read most of it in one night because I could not put it down.

2.0 out of 5 stars Interesting concept with cheap horror, 20 Sep 2009
Mr. G. Battle (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Castaways (Leisure Fiction) (Mass Market Paperback)
Keene presents his own origin of the hairy brutal killers that appeared in Ricahrd Laymon's Beast House trilogy. The narrative is similar too, featuring a cast of mostly unlikeable characters, numerous of promises of death, mutilation and sexual torment, and an easy to follow plot. The glimmer of hope for Castaways is the basic premise of the a TV reality show, akin to Survivor, which offers a fresh angle for a slasher novel. Alas the concept is never fully realised and after the early chapters Castways becomes just another gore-laden horror novel. Of course, Keene and Laymon fans will lap it up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gore-fest and quite frightening, 24 April 2012
This review is from: Castaways (Leisure Fiction) (Mass Market Paperback)
Cannibals inspired by the creatures from the Beast House books?
Very highly recommended. Took this on holiday and was one of those books you can not put down. Nicely paced throughout!
... Gruesomely detailed ...

3.0 out of 5 stars Not his best work, 8 July 2011
This review is from: Castaways (Leisure Fiction) (Mass Market Paperback)
I have read a fair few of Brian Keenes books and i would say this is his weakest to date. The characters weren't fleshed out and some of their reactions came across as pretty unrealistic. That isn't to say i didn't enjoy it but i expected more from him,maybe it was because it was an idea based on someone else's work instead of his own 100% creation

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, Loved it, Reality TV gets what it deservers, 17 Feb 2011
This review is from: Castaways (Leisure Fiction) (Mass Market Paperback)
First of I gotta say I have never read Brian Keene before nor have I seen Survivor, um I mean Castaways. If you love or hate reality TV and how they present people this is the book for you.

What could be better than setting up extremely dislikeable (all to familiar) cast in a environment we have seen on TV and know to be untterfly flawed and completed flase (or perhaps not). Then give it a twist, shake the cage and bash it's corpse until its bloody mound of flesh?

Totally hooked on Drian Keene now. Love his his stark and open style.

Oh why are your books not on kindle any more. Annoying !!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little book - quite short though, 12 Jun 2010
This review is from: Castaways (Leisure Fiction) (Mass Market Paperback)
I did enjoy this book this is my first brian keene book and i will definitely be reading more as i like his style of writing it kept me gripped, i read it in 2 days. I was drawn to this book in particular due to the premise - reality tv gone wrong, strangely i'm not a fan of reality tv but for some reason reality tv gone horribly wrong i like?! (e.g. dead set)
Yes there are some things i would criticise such as the length - it is quite a short book and I liked the premise and felt this could have been expanded a little more and the characters - i can't say i really cared for any of them except maybe for the guy with the hat (whos name now escapes me sorry)

3.0 out of 5 stars Fast paced and exciting but with caveats, 30 Sep 2011
This review is from: Castaways (Leisure Fiction) (Mass Market Paperback)
This is the first Brian Keene book I've read and I quite enjoyed it. It was an easy read and once I'd got into it I found it hard to put down. However there are caveats which, being spoilers, I will defer mentioning until the follow up comments.

5.0 out of 5 stars HORROR GALORE!!!BEST BRIAN KEENE BOOK, 6 Feb 2009
K. Smith "BOOK GEEK" (BRISTOL.UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Castaways (Leisure Fiction) (Mass Market Paperback)
THIS IS MY FAVORITE BRIAN KEENE BOOK SO FAR.AFTER DARK HOLLOW AND GHOST WALK I WAS LEFT ABIT BORED.
THEN I PICKED THIS UP AND IT IS A PAGE TURNER TRUST ME.
GREAT STORY,GREAT CHARACTERS AND PLENTY OF GORE.
IF YOU LOVE EDWARD LEE ,JACK KETCHUM GET THIS NOW!!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not so clever, 26 July 2009
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Castaways (Leisure Fiction) (Mass Market Paperback)
OK, a horror book from the US that after my experience with Found You, I thought would be pretty descent. Alas the book had more flaws than Buckingham Palace. The major problem with this book was that the cast were pretty transparent, some characters were just names and the ones that had descriptions you knew were pretty much survivors. I hate that sort of approach, yes they were proverbial redshirts but hey they're people too. Add to the mix that the ending pretty much summed up how I felt with the word Sell outs added and the author really didn't do themselves any favours with this novel. It contains graphic rape scenes that the author in his afterward tried to validate although personally I felt that if he "had" to write the scenes like that he didn't have to be quite so graphic. There was no substance to this offering as it's a pretty standardized plot and a guy risking his life for a woman who five hours prior had barely any interaction with other than a brief chat after spending a couple of weeks on an island together was just a joke. I really do wonder who Keene knew to get it published. A real sorry excuse for a tale especially given the ending that went on to emphasise America's pursuit for the Mighty Buck and lack of moral consequences for those concerned.

Castaways (Leisure Fiction)
Castaways (Leisure Fiction) by Brian Keene (Mass Market Paperback - 1 Feb 2009)
Used & New from: 0.01