Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 4 April 2009
If you like a bit of fantasy with your romance I'm sure you'll love this series. I, however, like a bit of romance with my fantasy and found it a little too much in places... I found myself wincing slightly at some of the more flowery emotive passages and there were quite a few of them! That said the overall story was quite intriguing with a couple of nefarious characters to balance it all out with and some sympathetic supporting characters.

I'm unsure whether to continue with this series, too many books to read and so little time... But my expectations may have been a little too high as I had just finished reading the third in the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews, which had just the right balance (for me) of action, horror, sarcasm and romance. For those of you like me, who enjoy some romance with your fantasy without it making you cringe too much, I would recommend trying Sharon Shinn, Maria V. Snyder and Lois McMaster Bujold.
VINE VOICEon 5 June 2008
This is an absuloubtly fantastic book, and despite my initial reservations "Oh no, another fantasy romance hybrid that's bound to bore me to tears" I was utterly blown away by the world, the storytelling, and the characters.

This is a story where fantasy and romance go together so perfectly that it simply wouldn't be able to exist if one of them were missing. The sexual tension of this book is brilliant, I loved all the characters, really came to care for them and the world, and just couldn't stop reading. I can't wait to read the next thing, and my only dissapointment with the series so far is that the third book isn't out yet, so I'm going to have to wait for it to be released.
on 2 October 2007
I read an excerpt of this book in one of Christine Feehans carpathian novels and was instantly hooked. I was lucky enough to be sent an advanced reading copy and well what can I say? I can't wait for the Lady of Light and Shadows!

If you have ever read any of Christine Feehans Carpathian series you will love this story. The formula of Ancient all powerful magical hero meets young soulmate with an inner strength of her own cannot be beaten. This story builds and builds and the forthcoming lady of light is sure to be an epic story of magic, intrigue and love.

This is a fantastic Debut novel and I'm sure Cheryl Wilson has an instant hit on her hands with many more sure to follow!

For readers of paranormal romance such as those by Christine Feehan & Nora Roberts this book is a must!
on 29 September 2007
How do you know that you are reading an excerpt from a book that you like and would love to own? In my case, it is quite easy. I need to find the plot interesting, and the way in which the sample chapter is written engaging. Visiting C. L. Wilson's website ([...] I found just that in her new book, "Lord of the Fading Lands".

"Lord of the Fading Lands" tells us the story of Rainier vel'En Daris, the Tairen Soul and ruler of his people, the Fey. He is a man of great power, but also one that has suffered immense losses in war, including the death of the woman he loved at the hand of his enemies, the Eld Mages. Now, a thousand years later, Rainier will have another chance at love, if he can seize it.

Ellysetta Baristani is the only person that can complete Rainier, his truemate. When Rainier decides to leave his home, the Fading Lands, in order to pay a short visit to his allies in Celieria, a chance encounter will allow the young human woman to meet her destiny in the Fey king. But can Ellie embrace both Rainier and the magic she has always feared? And will Ellie and Rainier win against the ancient forces of evil stalking them?

If you read "Lord of the Fading Lands" you will have answers to those questions, and a lot more. You will also find a whole new world, full of magic, myths and well-drawn characters that will make you care, and want to know what happens next. What else can I say, if not HIGHLY RECOMMENDED?

Belen Alcat

PS: The stories set in this universe continue in the next book in the series, "Lady of Light and Shadows", to be released on October 30, 2007.
on 10 October 2007
In the city of Celieria an unprecedented event has occurred, the Rain Tairen Soul has found that which he never thought possible in a time where the Mages cast their darkness over this city again. A love that shines with a rare and special glow triggers all kind of events, from betrayal to revelations of the past and a struggle for more power is always on the lookout. Five Fey warriors serve and protect with a magic all off their own as a new battle is on the horizon and an epic love unfolds itself in all its glory....

Hold on to your seats! There's a new author in town with a novel that vibrates with her talent and will conquer the bestsellers lists in no time, and her name is.....C.L. Wilson.

This is a story that lured me into a fabulous, fast paced and emotional ride that leaves me dazzled. From the first page I felt the promise that C.L. Wilson contains as a writer and she delivers big time! At the foundation of this romantic tale it is about a claiming so fierce, so seductive that it hits the reader full force. The author captures images with words of a king that is willing to do anything for his dying kingdom and an unknowing woman who just might prove to be the answer. This and much more is written with a strong affinity for the fantasy genre that gives this novel its unique approach.

The ferocity in which Rain Tairen Soul claims his Shei'tani ignites a sparkle that sets this story on fire. Those special moments between Rain and Elly weaves a soul connection between them and C.L. Wilson has a rare gift to make me feel these moments with such vivid emotions whirling inside of me. Almost as if I'm actually witnessing a blossoming legendary love so rare and so beautiful that it leaves me convinced nothing will ever keep them apart.

There's also the five Fey warriors of the highest order commanding elemental magic and are the chosen ones to protect Elly. Each one tells you more about the ways of the Tairen and Belliard, as the leader, had me at his introduction in this story! The words in which the author invokes the fantasy in this novel lets me remember the ways of once long ago in the rituals/oaths and protocol of both Celieria and Tairen world, is one that still reverberates through me and echoes with long forgotten chivalry, elegance and magic. Everything about this novel appealed to me on so many levels that it became an instant favorite book of mine. I'm enchanted by the magic that C.L. Wilson weaves with this stunning tale, to start this book is to finish the book!

Realms on our Bookshelves has awarded the Realms Shooting Star to C.L. Wilson for her impressive debut.

Reviewed by Leontine

Courtesy of Realms on our Bookshelves
on 19 December 2007
I am a fan of romance novels but have always been weary of the sci-fi fantasy genre. Thank the Celierian gods I overcame the prejudice and purchased the book. It's a beautifully written tale with an encompassing love story filled with restrained passion and the tell tale beginnings of a consuming romance that will be powerful and legendary. The story is so vivid in it's imagery and filled with rich primary and supporting characters that fully engages it's readers.

It's been a long time since I found an author that has written words so creatively woven that I felt that I'm a fully engaged participant and witness to a great romance. Congratulations to CL Wilson and best wishes to her continued success!!! I'd also recommend reading the mesmerising and highly evocative novel The Fates by Tino Georgiou.
on 16 March 2011
The first thing you notice about this book is the socking great lump of cardboard advertising that has been bound right in the middle of it. Having carefully ripped it out, I got down to reading this derivative, formulaic fantasy romance. Tall, dark, emotionally damaged stranger (tick), feisty and therefore red-headed heroine (tick), nasty, duplicitous wizards (tick). The goodies invariably like the heroine and the baddies don't, which makes it easy to remember who's who. This fantasy by numbers contains the obligatory map, magic and made-up languages. You really don't need to think in order to read this book, just sit back and laugh as the clichés roll past. Wonderful for unwinding after a stressful day a work. I've just ordered book 2.
on 1 October 2012
Lord Of The Fading Lands is the first in a series of five books that center around Rain Tairen Soul, King of the Fey and Ellysetta Baristani, the mortal daughter of a woodcarver.

The fate of the Fey is irrevocably intertwined with their kin, the Tairen (magical winged cats). The Tairen are dying, thus Rain, responsible for both races, is faced with the threat of the death of all his people. At the same time, Rain feels a gathering darkness growing in the land of the Eld Mages. Worry that the growing darkness has a hand in the demise of the Tairen consumes Rain.

In his desperation, Rain turns to the one person who has the potential to heal his long-broken heart and give his people the hope they need; the person he recognises as his true mate; Ellysetta. The mortals of Celieria, however, refuse to believe the Elden Mages are a threat and Ellysetta must attempt to aid Rain in his endeavor to change their minds. The danger in the East grows as Rain battles for Ellysetta's heart, and as she struggles against the dark secret she has kept hidden all her life.

Lord Of The Fading Lands won me over from the first ten pages! There is true depth to the characters of Rain and Ellysetta. They both have pasts which have both shaped them and still continue to haunt them and though they are true mates -their souls destined for one another- the mating of their hearts is an entirely different matter. Their relationship is developed at a real and believable pace, alongside the story-line, and before I knew it I had fallen in love with both of them and caught myself (more than once), biting my nails in suspense at their tale!!

I also couldn't help but fall for a lot of the secondary characters. Bel, with his valiant effort to retain hope despite his suffering had me from the word go!! I even liked the mortal Queen Annoura - despite all her plotting and her nastiness towards Ellysetta - she had more than just one side to her, and not all sides were unsympathetic.

I could continue on and on about this book but for fear of rambling!!! :) Ultimately, Lord Of The Fading Lands was a fantastic start to the series; the world was well built, the characters were well-rounded and compelling, the plot was engaging and layered with enough intrigue to have you grinding your teeth in suspense throughout and eagerly awaiting the next book in the series - I can't wait to get my claws into it!! :)
on 20 December 2011
This is the first in the Tairen Soul series and I admit when I bought it i didn't think I would like it. When I started reading it, my expectations for this book didn't really improve. But then I really started to get into it...

This book is about a woodcarver's daughter; Ellie Baristani who is thrust into the limelight when she is chosen as the truemate of the Tairen Soul, a legenday beast who hasn't left the Fading Lands since he lost his beloved and nearly destroyed the world. However, in an attempt to save the Fey he journeys to Celeria where he finds Ellie, trouble is she is already betrothed to another.

This book is rather different than many books in this series and I really didn't think it was for me at first; it kind of has a historical feel to it and I much prefer the modern take on fantasy (the obvious being Ward, Showalter etc). It is quite old fashioned and unlike many in this series is less focussed on sex/relationships between the main characters. In this book anyway, it is just the beginning for Ellie and Rain and instead of each book in the series focussing on a new couple in the same world, i think this series continues to develop the same relationship which is actually a nice change. The plot is really interesting and by the end I had already ordered the rest in the series - it really gets you hooked. There are loads of secrets and unfinished business by the end of this book that not reading the others just is not an option (unless you hate this one of course)

the story continues with Rain and Ellie's um courtship? and also the presence of several malevolent figures lurking around and stirring up trouble (with mind control).

Naturally for those out there who strongly prefer the more modern tales; i would say this is not for you but then I would have said that about me. And while many of the "romantic" passages can be more than little cringeworthy, its actually a pretty decent read.

Give it a chance - you might surprise yourself. And for those who prefer a story that has a historical feel or has more plot than sex scenes - this should tick the boxes too.
on 22 September 2009
As a book I added this to my collection as the one I thought I would try but not sure if I would like dispute its many positive reviews. how glad I am that I did. When my package of several books arrived i eagerly ravished the others throwing this one to the side as the last choice and in doing so unwittingly saved the best for last.

The lord of the fading lands is a tale of fey, magic, passion, despair, romance and mystery. It takes you on a roller-coaster of emotions and weaves a tale so real in the minds eye you could have sworn you where there. The tale is of Rain King of the Fey and the last of the Tarien Souls a Fey with strong magic and the ability to turn at will in to one of the great Tarien's magical cat like creatures with wing and flame. Fey is declining and Rain desperate to save it. Haunted by a past filled with lost and despair which led to madness and distribution he was brought back from the brink only by the combined powers of the fey and great control.

Ellie is the adopted daughter of a woodcarver and his wife, she too has darkness in her past. Her soul calls out to Rain's and his answers. A quest to find her and a burning need heightened by his Tarien soul results. All the while a darkness is building in the north and the Mages or Eld are gaining power once more. It was they who slain Rain's first love causing the madness and destruction which near burnt the world. This Truemate bond between Ellie and Rain could cause the world to face the power of the scorching once more. Rain must control his Tarien within and win the heart and soul of Ellie, and she must try and overcome her fear of him, his rage and despair and her own growing fears for the darkness within her to except the truemating. Of course that is not their only problem, the noble of her homeland are not too happy to see a peasant raised to the status of Queen of the Fey, as both Rain and Ellie are thrown into the politics of the land a battle just as dangerous as an they currently face.

A compelling read from start to finish a real page turned and a reading way into the wee small hours of the morning book that will leave you begging for more...and rushing out for the next one as I did cursing myself for not buying the whole series in a oner!