5.0 out of 5 stars Very Happy Reader!
Published on 5 May 2012 by Bluesarat

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much left unexplained
Published on 17 Feb 2008 by scribe

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Happy Reader!, 5 May 2012
This review is from: The Deluge (Leisure Fiction) (Leisure Fiction) (Mass Market Paperback)
It's been a while since I have enjoyed a truly good horror story..this book combines apocalyptic elements with an excellent classic twist,well plotted and engaging,plenty of well developed characters,paced to the I must turn the next page reader,I was thoroughly engrossed from start right to the end.I don't wish to give away any of the plot so as not to spoil the pleasure for the next reader--ie turn your own pages and find out!! ,this book is a must read for horror fans and my next step is to search for other books by this author!

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much left unexplained, 17 Feb 2008
Generally, I quite like Morris' works. Sadly, the Deluge left me empty. The problem is the lack of satisfactory resolution to the issues around which the story revolves. Just what did cause the flood? Precisely what are the aliens/slugs and exactly where did they come from? Because these questions are left unanswered, the book ends on a very disappointing note. Without answers, this book is little more than a below-average post-apocalypse tale of survivors' hardships (which, quite frankly, is below Morris' talents). I would be happy to learn that this is the first book of a trilogy or something, but there was no indication that this was the case.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very readable story, 15 Feb 2009
Helen Simpson (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Okay, apocalyptic has been done by many authors from Herbert to Wyndham. However that doesn't mean I don't want to read some new takes on the subject and lets face it, if we want to read new books with apocalyptic themes then we have to stop moaning about comparisons which are basic to all survival stories and just enjoy the tale. Most of the reviews on here would have put me off but having read other books by Morris I wanted to read this one and wasn't disappointed.

I've often thought that Mark Morris could have quite easily been a kid at my school...he just seems to remember all the things I do from childhood. (Was it just co-incidence that he used the names Greg and Abby in this novel? Or did he, like me, watch the 1970's series Survivors?) It would make sense for him to use his experiences as a child because they often stay with us and influence our fears as adults.

Other than there being a band of survivors with similar problems, this story is different because it links in an alien aspect to it... as if they didn't have enough to cope with.

The story begins with London (possibly the world!) being flooded and focuses on Steve and his daughter Abby who are in a flat high up in a tower block. They sit out the night until morning shows them the horrors of the night. When they can, they decide to make their way north to Scotland encountering friends and foe along the way...including an unrecognised life form to threaten the survivors.

The Deluge is fast moving and very readable. I liked the style of writing, mostly third person but some first person in the form of a diary. My main gripe would be that although there were plenty of deaths, it was a bit predictable as to who would survive, and I quite like to be surprised by at least ONE unexpected death.

I also found it mildly irritating that a story set in Britain, by an English author had Americanised words in his novel (i.e. realise and grey). This wouldn't actually bother me if I was reading a book by an American writer, I've just never understood why words need to be changed. If I'm reading Stephen King I expect American spellings and words.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun!, 2 April 2009
The Deluge shares the same great staples of the genre as Survivors and Earth Abides: loss, foraging, social breakdown and survival after a cataclysmic event. These traditional elements are coupled with a new threat from strange, mysterious creatures that appear after the flood that look set to become the new top of the food chain predators.

But while the characters are likeable and engaging and the book is fast paced and a real page-turner, the ending does leave a little to be desired. Not so much in the overall arc of the characters, but rather because it is missing some explanations - like where have these creatures come from. Maybe it's not really necessary to the presented story, but it would have been nice. Hopefully Morris will address this in a sequel.

Very enjoyable book. Would make a good film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read!, 17 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Deluge (Kindle Edition)
Enjoyed this book and found it a real page turner. A little disappointed with the ending but guess it leaves it open for a follow-up.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Deluge, 27 May 2014
This review is from: The Deluge (Kindle Edition)
Far fetched & a poor story line. Don't bother! It's not worth the money to buy or the effort to read!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great read, 20 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Deluge (Kindle Edition)
What a brilliant twist on the disaster tale. Reminded me of Day of the Triffids (which is my book to read if there's nothing else - i.e. I had read it so many times I've had to replace the book). Relationships and personalities well developed. Surprising events for most of the book although a some were obvious. All in all this is a book I thoroughly enjoyed. I will certainly read it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story, 29 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Deluge (Kindle Edition)
This book was very intriguing and kept me up on many a night wanting to know what was happening next. I have recommended this to all my friends. Xx

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, 15 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Deluge (Kindle Edition)
When I downloaded this book I was not sure what to expect. I thought it was just a disaster survival story. It was but with twists that I really did not see coming. All in all a good read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Different, 1 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Deluge (Kindle Edition)
I certainly thought this book kept you on the edge of your seat at times, a really good read, loved it.

The Deluge (Leisure Fiction) (Leisure Fiction)
The Deluge (Leisure Fiction) (Leisure Fiction) by Mark Morris (Mass Market Paperback - 1 Dec 2007)
Used & New from: 0.01